• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I predict PAP will be seriously considering introducing Proportional Representation

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the vote swing continues to work to PAP's detriment in the next election, I think PAP will scrap First Pass the Post and introduce Proportional Representation by the 2021 elections. This is because if PAP gets into the same situation as the opposition currently, that is, having 40% of the votes but less than 10% of the representation in Parliament, this is a position from which PAP will find very difficult to recover from. If it implements Proportional Representation, it will at least provide some space for it to breathe and recover its strength within a few years should it not be able to win the majority of the votes.

If PAP manages to claw back their loss in the 2016 elections, then the urgency for Proportional Representation will not surface.

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: I predict PAP will be seriously considering introducing Proportional Representati

No one keen on having proportional representation?

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: I predict PAP will be seriously considering introducing Proportional Representati

I'm keen on anarchy. :smile:

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal

I'm keen on anarchy. :smile:

That is extremely unlikely to happen unless the income divide becomes so wide that the middle-class disappears completely.

Taro Ries

Alfrescian
Loyal

Unlikely. This election, 39.9% of votes went to opposition but they only got 7% of seats in parliament. Why would PAP want more opposition?

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I very much doubt that PR is on the cards. The PAPzis won't know how to deal with it. They will not be able to use the upgrading carrot and slum stick in this system.

Spock

Alfrescian
Loyal

Unlikely. This election, 39.9% of votes went to opposition but they only got 7% of seats in parliament. Why would PAP want more opposition?

Not for the next elections but the one after that. They will be seriously considering if they lose another 5% support as they will be moving close to the same predicament faced by the opposition. If they get increased support in 2016, then they will not put proportional representation on the table. So, much will depend on how the 2016 elections turn out. But there is also a slight risk that the ground may turn so much in 2016 that it will be too late if they decide to wait and see. My guess is that at the minimum, proportional representation will be given some serious thought within the PAP.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

having PR is too wide a step to take. they risk getting in more opp. From way I see, the % of votes going to PAP will continue to slide in the coming elections. Gone are the days of PAP garnering 70% of the votes ...it is inevitable, thats how the society will evolve.

But as things stand, we are not ready for a change of government - meaning WP or SDP or whatever Ps are not ready to form a government. So, PAP still forms a government, but they have to deal with more alternate voices in parliment.