• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

HSR and RTS Discussion

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
"Malaysia's HSR project delivery vehicle MyHSR Corp said it had finalised the corridor for "almost" the whole alignment stretch from KL to Nusajaya."
No mention of Nusajaya to Singapore??

===========================================================================================

UNDER the hot Hainanese sun, a bullet train speeds down the east side of China's southernmost province. Leaving Haikou in the north, it passes coconut trees and building projects, skirting the South China Sea coast.

Its final destination is Sanya, about 300km to the south, which it reaches about 90 minutes later. This is the Eastern Hainan High Speed Rail (HSR) line, one of the two fast train lines on the island.

China may use this line as a model to build the planned 350km Kuala Lumpur-Singapore HSR, a project which may kick off in the near future if the republic gets the bid. Tenders will open later this year. Over the past few years, several countries with HSR technology have declared their interest to take on the project, said to carry a possible RM60bil price tag - one of the biggest transport projects in Malaysia.

It has been touted as one of the drivers for the Government's quest towards a high-income economy, a goal it wants to achieve by 2020.

East Asia's powerhouses - China, Japan and South Korea - have been making a strong push to develop the line.

In a pitch to selected reporters from Asia in Beijing, China's national rail operator, the China Railway Corporation, said it was confident of having the upper hand.

"We have been paying attention to this KL-Singapore HSR project, and know that some other countries are also keen," said its deputy chief engineer Zhao Guotang via an interpreter in April.

"Our confidence comes from our strengths in HSR which are incomparable to that of other countries," he added, pointing out that China's HSR technology was more compatible with existing rail standards here in the region. Zhao said the HSR lines in Hainan and around Guangzhou were similar to what Malaysia and Singapore had in mind for their line.

China, he noted, had much more experience than its competitors and spoke of the country's 19,000km-long HSR network.

Some similarities between the KL-Singapore line and Hainan's two tracks can be drawn.

Aside from the island's hot, humid weather, both networks have tracks that are more than 300km long. Both also provide a direct link between their respective regions' two largest cities, passing many major towns.

In terms of HSR technology, China is the world's biggest newcomer.
It built its first HSR line in 2003, nearly 40 years after Japan introduced its Shinkansen to the world, and also a year before South Korea's.

But its push for the bullet train has been aggressive, to say the least. In January this year, China reached the 19,000km mark.

This network, which criss-crosses the world's most populous nation, is at least five times as long as Spain's, the world's second largest in total HSR track.
It also has nearly 2,300 electric multiple unit (EMU) train sets, more than half of the world's total, Zhao said.
But that's not enough. China wants to have another 11,000km more in its own borders by 2020.

It also has plans to connect via HSR its southern provincial capital of Kunming near Myanmar, through to Laos, Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore.

A Chinese official in Malaysia once claimed in 2015 that a Chinese-run firm could build all the needed tracks in a five-year period.
This was something that Zhao alluded to in Beijing.

He said the country's use of "advanced machinery" made it so that the foundation of three to five "building piles" could be brought up in one day, adding that in the past, it would take three days just to set up one.

"We can finish in three to five years, but for other countries it may take seven to eight years," he said.

Zhao said that while they had fixed the problem contributing to the Wenzhou HSR accident in 2011 which killed 40 people, the republic had upgraded its services, and boasted a total of 3.5 million passengers using its lines each day, with a 99 per cent punctuality rate.

He also pointed out that China had a "traditional good friendship" with Malaysia and Singapore, and was banking on this as an advantage.
Right now, both countries are still negotiating over the details that will cover the project.

Malaysia's HSR project delivery vehicle MyHSR Corp said it had finalised the corridor for "almost" the whole alignment stretch from KL to Nusajaya.

It also said it closed an open tender for the appointment of the company's technical advisory consultant.

"This consultant is expected to assist MyHSR in further defining the technical details of the project," a spokesman said.
He did not go into detail about the points that were still being negotiated between Malaysia and Singapore, but added that the Governments needed to think beyond the tender stage.

Asked if Malaysia was likely to pick China over the others, the spokesman said: "We are looking to procure using an open tender for the project at an appropriate time.

"The tender will be fair and transparent."
Malaysia, he said, was looking for a model that would suit the operating environments and expectations of both countries.

"Price is also expected to be an important consideration. The working team will finalise the details prior to tender," he said.
With the project going through an open tender, and Singapore being the other deciding party, there is a chance that China may not get the deal it wants.

South Korea is offering to transfer its HSR technology over to Malaysia, but the details have yet to be ironed out.
Japan is banking on the safety and reliability of its Shinkansen - not a single person has been killed riding on a bullet train there since it first rolled out in 1964.

Asked if China would reconsider its regional plans or carry on with the Bandar Malaysia terminal if it was not able to claim the HSR line, Zhao said: "It is not necessary to connect the two projects together."

"Besides the economical profit, we are considering a lot of other profits we may bring to (other) countries.
"In this process, for the construction and in equipment manufacturing, we are organising a lot of relative enterprises to push forward our corporation," he said.

Zhao said the enterprises would not come under China Railway's purview, and that they were independent of the rail company.
"What we are trying to do (is) to ensure that what we offer is of (the) highest quality," he said.

Earlier this year, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said Malaysia was expected to sign a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Singapore for the development of the project. A Bernama report said that the MoU was expected to be signed in July.

There is a fair amount of indication that Malaysia is leaning towards choosing China. Singapore's choice is not known at this time.
Federation of Malaysian Consumers Associations (Fomca) secretary-general Datuk Paul Selvaraj implied that the needs of those who would use the HSR needed to come first.

He said high safety standards and an affordable price were also important here.
"The one who gives best value should get the contract, in terms of pricing and in terms of track record. Whoever gets (it) should provide the best service to the country," he said.

- See more at: http://news.asiaone.com/news/malays...d-rail-plans-inch-closer#sthash.nsy7a6V5.dpuf

Last edited:

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Checkpoint_sg_zpsgp79npr0.jpg

I'm a newbie to this. Hope some of you can help me interpret these pictures taken from checkpoint.sg.

Suppose I want to go into Tuas from SG and want to see how crowded the traffic is, do I look at pictures 1 and 2 labelled above?

What I don't understand is, if the Tuas 2nd link (picture 1) looks quite empty, how come the Tuas Checkpoint (picture 2) looks so crowded with cars?

For the timing displayed "28 mins via Tuas" (I have underlined it in red), does it mean it will take me 28 mins to go from Tuas 2nd link to Johor checkpoint?

Generally, what is the best time on weekday evening or night to travel on the 2nd link without encountering too much traffic? I'm traveling from city area.

Sorry for the basic questions. Thanks guys!

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Checkpoint_sg_zpsgp79npr0.jpg

I'm a newbie to this. Hope some of you can help me interpret these pictures taken from checkpoint.sg.

Suppose I want to go into Tuas from SG and want to see how crowded the traffic is, do I look at pictures 1 and 2 labelled above?

What I don't understand is, if the Tuas 2nd link (picture 1) looks quite empty, how come the Tuas Checkpoint (picture 2) looks so crowded with cars?

For the timing displayed "28 mins via Tuas" (I have underlined it in red), does it mean it will take me 28 mins to go from Tuas 2nd link to Johor checkpoint?

Generally, what is the best time on weekday evening or night to travel on the 2nd link without encountering too much traffic? I'm traveling from city area.

Sorry for the basic questions. Thanks guys!

The problem is that the cameras do not capture the full picture, esp the 2nd Link. If going into JB via 2nd link, you can see the buildup at SG checkpoint. But you can't see what's the situation at the JB checkpoint. Similarly at Woodlands the cameras only capture the Causeway Bridge directly above water, you can't see anything on the right side outside the picture frame.

To decide whether to go into JB or not, I suppose the best is to see whether there is a traffic buildup at the SG checkpoints. If no, it is good because even if JB side got jam, at least the consolation is that you did not suffer jam at SG side. If got jam at SG checkpoint, then see how bad it is and whether you can accept it.

At the end of the day I feel there is no "formula" to use. Just check the cameras and be ready to chiong if the coast is clear. LOL!

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
PM Lee to visit Malaysia on Tuesday to witness signing of MOU on KL-Singapore high-speed rail with PM Najib

PUBLISHED3 HOURS AGO

SINGAPORE - Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong will be in Putrajaya on Tuesday (July 19) for the signing of an agreement on the much-anticipated high-speed rail (HSR) that will connect Kuala Lumpur and Singapore.

Mr Lee and Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak will witness the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on the project, the Prime Minister's Office said in a statement on Monday.

Mr Najib indicated in April 2016 that the MOU signing would take place in the middle of this year.

First announced in 2013 at the Singapore-Malaysia Leaders' Retreat, the ambitious rail link is set to be the first of its kind in South-east Asia.

It is billed as a "game-changer" that will cut travel time between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore to just one-and-a-half hours, compared to more than four hours by car.

Calling it a "key bilateral project for both countries", the PMO said: "The two governments' commitment to this project is a reflection of our strong bilateral ties and our continued efforts to deepen relations.

"When completed, the HSR will boost connectivity, strengthen economic ties and forge closer people-to-people linkages."

"The signing of the MOU is a significant milestone and testament to our close bilateral cooperation," the PMO statement added.

PM Lee is accompanied on his working visit by Mrs Lee, Coordinating Minister for Infrastructure and Minister for Transport Khaw Boon Wan and Minister for Foreign Affairs Vivian Balakrishnan.

Mr Khaw and Malaysian Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Abdul Rahman Dahlan will sign the MOU.

Ahead of the signing, PM Lee and the delegation will be hosted to lunch by Mr Najib. Both leaders will hold a joint press conference after the signing ceremony.

Also in PM Lee's delegation are officials from the PMO, Ministry of Transport, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Communications and Information, Land Transport Authority of Singapore and Attorney-General's Chambers.

A report by Malaysian newspaper New Straits Times last Thursday said the MOU will pave the way for further negotiations on the official bilateral agreement, to be signed by the end of this year.

Malaysian Transport Minister Liow Tiong Lai told reporters over the weekend that a tender for the project is expected to be called "within a year's time", reported Malaysian paper The Star. He did not elaborate.

The proposed high-speed rail, expected to be 350km, will begin at the Bandar Malaysia project - which is 3km from Kuala Lumpur's financial district - and will terminate in Jurong East.

The Singapore terminus will be part of the upcoming Jurong Lake District, envisioned as Singapore's second Central Business District.

Last week, the Urban Redevelopment Authority launched a Request for Proposal to develop masterplans for the area.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...ess-signing-of-mou-on-kl-singapore-high-speed

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Like it or not, looks like it is starting on a positive note.

Be prepared in the coming weeks and months, many agents and marketers will start using HSR as a reason for saying you should invest in Iskandar properties! Especially those in the Nusajaya region.

Let's see if there is any revival of interest in Johor properties....

PuteriWorld

Alfrescian
Loyal
[SUP][/SUP]It is billed as a "game-changer" that will cut travel time between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore to just one-and-a-half hours, compared to more than four hours by car.

They call it "Game Changer"

I call it " GAME OVER " for Singapore once the HSR is up and running.

Things are not looking good for Singapore for the past 5 years. No one dared to say or hype about SIA and PSA being #01 because the rankings ( which Singapore media has always made front page for 20 years ) said otherwise. Its true that SIA is bleeding thru TigerAir and SIA itself has lost the game to Qatar and Emirate. PSA is losing out market shares to PTP ( top 20 in the world now while PSA is sliding )

I am surprised Singapore govt went ahead with HSR. Its no difference than blowing up the causeway to build a bridge over

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Like it or not, looks like it is starting on a positive note.

Be prepared in the coming weeks and months, many agents and marketers will start using HSR as a reason for saying you should invest in Iskandar properties! Especially those in the Nusajaya region.

Let's see if there is any revival of interest in Johor properties....

Already properties in the western region of Singapore are marketed with HSR hype. I see good rental potential by properties in western Singapore. Anyway I wonder if the one and a half hours to KL is true, travel time may be 90 minutes but queuing time is 3 hours, then we are back to square one.

Whatever it is, because of my HDB property only two stops from Jurong East, all the more I do not need to stay in Johor.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Like it or not, looks like it is starting on a positive note.Be prepared in the coming weeks and months, many agents and marketers will start using HSR as a reason for saying you should invest in Iskandar properties! Especially those in the Nusajaya region. Let's see if there is any revival of interest in Johor properties....
After HSR, I am now looking at the next big thing, ie BRT system linking JB City to Kota Iskandar with Gerbang Nusajaya, Medini, Educity in the loop. Highly likely to be the phase 1 of this BRT system.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Already properties in the western region of Singapore are marketed with HSR hype. I see good rental potential by properties in western Singapore. Anyway I wonder if the one and a half hours to KL is true, travel time may be 90 minutes but queuing time is 3 hours, then we are back to square one. Whatever it is, because of my HDB property only two stops from Jurong East, all the more I do not need to stay in Johor.
There is no Sentosa in Nusajaya. Nothing for you there. :smile:

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
After HSR, I am now looking at the next big thing, ie BRT system linking JB City to Kota Iskandar with Gerbang Nusajaya, Medini, Educity in the loop. Highly likely to be the phase 1 of this BRT system.

Means properties around those areas may HUAT?

Manhattan

Alfrescian
Loyal
The fastrack Iskandar and the SeaWorld all waiting for hsr confirmation before planning ground breaking ceremony.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Already properties in the western region of Singapore are marketed with HSR hype. I see good rental potential by properties in western Singapore. Anyway I wonder if the one and a half hours to KL is true, travel time may be 90 minutes but queuing time is 3 hours, then we are back to square one.

Whatever it is, because of my HDB property only two stops from Jurong East, all the more I do not need to stay in Johor.

Yes. People often forget abt waiting and queuing time. Brochures often quote "15 mins to CIQ" but it's not that simple! :smile:

SG to KL by air is about 45 mins. But the immigration, security checks, waiting to take off and landing, etc are a pain and add to the whole journey time.

So for RTS, if it happens, and if the queues at the stations are horrendous, it will not be attractive either.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Means properties around those areas may HUAT?
HUAT is a dirty word. I am looking at the same model as Putrajaya of which Kota Iskandar is based on. When they move the Administrative Center out of town, they want to spur developments along the way. So you need connectivity from JB to these Government offices and its surrounding areas. It will never huat overnight, it will grow on its own organically as people move across its paths.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes. People often forget abt waiting and queuing time. Brochures often quote "15 mins to CIQ" but it's not that simple! :smile:SG to KL by air is about 45 mins. But the immigration, security checks, waiting to take off and landing, etc are a pain and add to the whole journey time.So for RTS, if it happens, and if the queues at the stations are horrendous, it will not be attractive either.
That's why I say RTS is the last priority, not that it is not good but the problems that come along with it. Speed up immigration, you will have security problems.Singapore has always been built on the pillars of a safe haven both financial and security point of view. It will never compromise on security.It will take a long long time to resolve.

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm sure part of negotiations regarding the HSR involves how to facilitate ease of transfer between the countries
Else it's just ridiculous to put so much money and be stuck in the queue.
Perhaps the VEP delay could be because of this.
But all this have to be hammered out in black and white.
Especially so with Malaysia.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
HUAT is a dirty word. I am looking at the same model as Putrajaya of which Kota Iskandar is based on. When they move the Administrative Center out of town, they want to spur developments along the way. So you need connectivity from JB to these Government offices and its surrounding areas. It will never huat overnight, it will grow on its own organically as people move across its paths.

How long did Putrajaya take to develop? I think KL is more "happening" as it is the capital and financial capital of Malaysia. Not sure how much "effort" they will put in Johor. Maybe it's about time. ha...

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
How long did Putrajaya take to develop? I think KL is more "happening" as it is the capital and financial capital of Malaysia. Not sure how much "effort" they will put in Johor. Maybe it's about time. ha...

Hard to develop Johor into KL because of close proximity to Singapore. Two edged sword.