• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

HSR and RTS Discussion

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Frodo, do you have children? Where do they study? I am hoping RTS gets built soon so that it is easier for my kids to come back to Sg for schooling...

When we moved out of Singapore we also moved out of the Singapore (rat race) Education system. My view is that no matter how highly rated the education system is in Singapore, it's not the only place to get a decent education. There are always options available so long as we do not box ourselves in. For example there is also this option http://cj.my/post/79582/home-schools-gaining-popularity-in-johor-bahru/

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
When we moved out of Singapore we also moved out of the Singapore (rat race) Education system. My view is that no matter how highly rated the education system is in Singapore, it's not the only place to get a decent education. There are always options available so long as we do not box ourselves in. For example there is also this option http://cj.my/post/79582/home-schools-gaining-popularity-in-johor-bahru/

Thought of putting my kids in International school in JB but now concerned that they seem to take 11 years to get the equivalent of secondary education so will be 19 years old by the time they finish A level or equivalent which will affect their NS enlistment at 18 years old...guess they will have to apply for NS deferment then...

Last edited:

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thought of putting my kids in International school in JB but now concerned that they seem to take 11 years to get the equivalent of secondary education so will be 19 years old by the time they finish A level or equivalent which will affect their NS enlistment at 18 years old...guess they will have to apply for NS deferment then...

My doctor friend actually did something which I admire. After seeing me staying in a huge spacious landed in a secure taman he uprooted his only son with his family to JB. And he enrolled his son into a international school there at the same time skipped NS as the son is half Singaporean only. Happy for the son as nowadays serving NS is a truly waste of time and protects FTs.

I still see him once or twice at the custom and seem he is enjoying his life as he sold off his condos and a few properties in Singapore and converted all to ringgit... easily RM 10million in his coffers.

I mean, life is all about making money, right? If you are an ITE graduate who got RM 10 million in your cash, who the hell cares whether you graduated from RI or Hwa Chong with 88 distinctions? You ask yourself, those straight As classmates u know which 20-40 years ago, are they driving around in Ferraris? Own 10 properties?

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

Consider all the options available. International schools follow convention....thinking outside the conventional way of doing things may not present the same concerns. You can speed things up if you like, or slow down if you like, most important thing is that kids must enjoy their education.:p

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
My doctor friend actually did something which I admire. After seeing me staying in a huge spacious landed in a secure taman he uprooted his only son with his family to JB. And he enrolled his son into a international school there at the same time skipped NS as the son is half Singaporean only. Happy for the son as nowadays serving NS is a truly waste of time and protects FTs.

I still see him once or twice at the custom and seem he is enjoying his life as he sold off his condos and a few properties in Singapore and converted all to ringgit... easily RM 10million in his coffers.

I mean, life is all about making money, right? If you are an ITE graduate who got RM 10 million in your cash, who the hell cares whether you graduated from RI or Hwa Chong with 88 distinctions? You ask yourself, those straight As classmates u know which 20-40 years ago, are they driving around in Ferraris? Own 10 properties?

Hahaha...I wouldn't say that life is all about making money...it involves that for sure but is certainly much more than just that. But I agree with you that our Singapore relentless pursuit for academic achievements have left many bruised and battered, perhaps some even disillusioned. Maybe only in the zheng hu kang will those academic people thrive...and even then driving Ferraris as zheng hu worker maybe also not advisable...LOL!

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal

Good for your Friend but I am not as lucky and as rich as him....kids have to serve NS and their university education if overseas will cost me a lot...thinking of selling my terrace house to fund that if necessary...

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good for your Friend but I am not as lucky and as rich as him....kids have to serve NS and their university education if overseas will cost me a lot...thinking of selling my terrace house to fund that if necessary...

Same boat here, no luck and no rich...also may not need to resort to selling house to fund education. Can take education loan and teach kids to work and pay it off after graduation. My JB terrace house not worth much...but if yours is SG terrace house it is different thing..

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
Amazing. Hopefully your friend after converting to ringgit is not regretting after the currency exchange drop.
Think should have been more prudent to keep it in sing dollars

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Amazing. Hopefully your friend after converting to ringgit is not regretting after the currency exchange drop.
Think should have been more prudent to keep it in sing dollars

Life is too short to live with regrets. We make the decisions that are best for us based on what we know will make us happy there and then. We don't know the future, whether things will turn out in our favour or not.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal

I would not sell property to fund my kid's education, you sell your terrace house, they come back, only can afford HDB, better leave the a legacy. That's what I tell my son.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
1MDB to close Bandar Malaysia deal by year end
Published: 29 December 2015 9:21 AM

e6q7tz.jpg

An artist's impression of Bandar Malaysia. 1MDB's Bandar Malaysia deal is expected to be finalised by end of the year, between two bidders. – 1MDB pic, December 29, 2015.

1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB) is near to sealing an agreement with a prospective partner to sell 60% of its shares in Bandar Malaysia Sdn Bhd before the year ends.

1MDB is now down to two bidders to choose from.

It is learnt that the consortium led by China Railway Construction Corp Ltd (CRCC) and property tycoon Tan Sri Lim Kang Hoo’s Iskandar Waterfront Holdings Sdn Bhd (IWH) is back in favour although Tan Sri Desmond Lim together with Qatari investors submitted a late bid after the tender was closed.

Bandar Malaysia is developing the massive mixed-use development with an estimated gross development value of RM40 billion.

On December 7, The Edge weekly reported that Desmond’s bid is understood to be worth about RM15 billion, vying – with that of front runner the IWH-CRCC consortium’s RM13 billion – to be the equity investor and development partner of Bandar Malaysia.

When contacted yesterday, 1MDB president and group executive director Arul Kanda Kandasamy declined to comment, saying the negotiation process was still in progress.

“As we are still in negotiations with the bidders, it is not possible to comment on (the) query. We will, however, make an announcement as soon as there is a tangible development,” he told The Edge Financial Daily.

Bandar Malaysia is a 196.6 hectare development on the former Sungai Besi Air Force base in Kuala Lumpur.

On November 12, The Edge Financial Daily reported that the strategic development company had narrowed down the list of 40 initial bidders to two, including a consortium led by a China-based company in a tie-up with Kang Hoo and several other local developers.

This follows an announcement by CH Williams Talhar and Wong (WTW) – the transaction adviser to Bandar Malaysia’s master developer 1MDB Real Estate Sdn Bhd (1MDB RE) – that it had received two final, binding and funded bids from development partners for the proposed sale of the 60% stake in Bandar Malaysia, but did not name them.

WTW said it, together with 1MDB RE, was seeking clarification and undertaking a comprehensive analysis of the two bids. 1MDB RE had on December 16 changed its name to TRX City Sdn Bhd.

IWH is a partnership between Kumpulan Prasarana Rakyat Johor (KPRJ) – a Johor state government entity – and Kang Hoo. IWH has a 47.16% stake in Iskandar Waterfront City Berhad, which is principally involved in property development and construction activities.

1MDB obtained planning approvals for Bandar Malaysia’s mixed development project, located 3.5km from KLCC Twin Towers, in October.

Bandar Malaysia will house the terminals for the Kuala Lumpur-Singapore High-Speed Rail (HSR), Mass Rapid Transit Lines 2 and 3, KTM Komuter and Express Rail Link, among others.

Considering that a big portion of the Kuala Lumpur-Singapore HSR will run through Johor, an earlier consideration was that it would make sense to have Kumpulan Prasarana Rakyat Johor involved in the Bandar Malaysia development.

Moreover, the RM13 billion bid would put 1MDB in a better position financially.

Late November, 1MDB disposed of its power assets, parked under Edra Global Energy Berhad, to China General Nuclear Power Corp, for RM9.83 billion.

With the sale of the power assets, 1MDB managed to trim some RM16.63 billion from its RM48.36 billion estimated debt, leaving it with borrowings of about RM31.73 billion.

An additional RM13 billion would reduce 1MDB’s debt to less than RM20 billion.

Local media also reported that 1MDB’s cost in acquiring the Bandar Malaysia land was RM1.6 billion for the entire 196.7 hectares, which works out to RM74.20 per sq ft. Selling 60% of it for RM13 billion would peg the value of 1MDB’s 40% at RM8.67 billion.

1MDB was given a six-month extension until March next year to file its financial year ended March 31, 2015 accounts, so its latest debt level is not known.

With the power assets and 60% of Bandar Malaysia sold, 1MDB’s remaining assets include the 28.3 hectare Tun Razak Exchange (TRX), which is slated to be an international financial hub, as well as a 9.5 hectare piece of land in Ayer Itam, Penang.

TRX is estimated to have a gross development value of RM26 billion. – December 29, 2015.

This article first appeared in The Edge Financial Daily, on December 29, 2015.

- See more at: http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/...alaysia-deal-by-year-end#sthash.G5eYlTxA.dpuf

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the Chinese buys the terminal land in KL, it is likely for the Chinese to win bulk of the rail contracts. I think the MY and SG governments are inclined to establish closer economic ties with the Chinese government too.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its a good thing to get China heavily involved in Malaysia. Preferably Japan as well. When big countries are involved in Malaysia's developments and their significant financial interests are at stake, this ensures policies cannot suka suka u-turn without angering China/Japan.

Ideally, it will be great if US can be heavily involved as well, but politically it is harder due to its political ties in the Middle East.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
>90% chance to be won by China. P.S. Am not a statistician

I took China HSR many many times including the Marlev train. I think they are as reliable as Shinkansen,TGV or Intercity trains.
From the look of it, even bookies do not want to take bets on this tender.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
JBRTS expected to be 4-5 km in length 2nd stage of engineering studies to commence

RTS link between Singapore and JB will be around 4-5km, both countries will begin on the 2nd stage of detailed engineering studies soon, in order to determine the actual alignment of the line, cost effectiveness, and construction method.

LTA will be engaging a consultant at the same time to conduct a ridership study and make suggestions on the operation mode and commercial viability of the project.

LTA confirmed with lianhe zaobao yesterday that the Malaysian government have officially confirmed with the MOT that the proposed RTS station in JB will be at Bukit Chagar near the CIQ.

The site in Singapore was confirmed in 2011 to be located at the northern terminus of TEL - Woodlands North Station, near Republic Polytechnic

LTA says that the JBRTS will be around 4-5km, actual length will be confirmed after the Stage 2 engineering studies are completed. The engineering study is expected to complete in 2 years, and include studies on whether the underwater tunnels, bridge or a combination of both will be proposed. The 2 countries will also discuss on how the construction costs will be shared, and details on future operations of the line. This means that the JBRTS will not be ready in time for the opening of TEL Stage 1 on 2019.

The ridership and operation mode study is expected to start early next year and complete by the 3rd quarter.

The Bukit Chagar site is close to JB Sentral and the popular City Square in JB, and is currently used for carparking.

NUS Civil and Environment Engineering Professor C.M Wang says that the RTS is expected to serve mostly Malaysians who are working in Singapore, or Singapore businessmen who frequently travel to JB.

eric3417

Alfrescian
Loyal
As long as get built. 3/5/7/10 years not an issue. It's all bonuses anyway... Not the main reasons for many of us to own a home in Iskandar. If it happens, great!

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
They have added more train timings to the Tebrau shuttle....will try taking it this weekend with my hubby....if it is efficient, then semi retiring in JB is more attractive, can even bring my kids back to Sg for study....only thing is train tickets run out fast....thinking of taking the 6am train out to Sg and the 4.30pm train back to JB...