• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How to Say No (Nicely) When Friends and Family Ask for Money Read more at http://www.

JackyCheung

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.moneyunder30.com/how-to-say-no-to-friend-asking-for-money-9605

Money Manners: How to Say No (Nicely) When Friends and Family Ask for Money
By Patty Lamberti September 11, 2013 Posted in: Money & Your Mind, Money Manners
“If you have money to spare, you can give it to them, but don’t expect to get it back.”

How to say no to family and friends who ask for money. Photo by Tax Credits/Flickr.It seems like everyone I know has been emailing me asking for money for his or her Kickstarter projects, charity endeavors or business startups. I want to help, but I also have a hefty Visa balance to pay off. So I asked an expert what a polite, caring gal like me (and good people like you) should do.
For the last year, many of my Facebook friends posted status updates urging people to donate money to fund their projects or business startups through Kickstarter, an online platform to raise funds.
You’ve probably seen the same requests appear on your wall. Kickstarter works — people have pledged over $750 million to various Kickstarter campaigns.
But over the last few months, I’ve noticed a change in how people ask for Kickstarter donations. Instead of posting status updates, which are easy to ignore, people have been sending me private messages asking for donations.
Not group messages, but “Dear Patty …” private messages that detail the project. For example, one Facebook friend who I occasionally see out in the real world sent me a message that started with,
Hey Patty,
Long time no see. Did you hear the Replacements are coming to town? I can’t wait.
I wanted to tell you about a documentary I’m making, and how I’m raising money on Kickstarter for it.
The rest of the email detailed the documentary, and asked me to donate something — anything — to help out.
A few days later, a family member sent me an email (just me, not everyone in our family) asking me to donate money for a community garden she wanted to start in her neighborhood.
I’m not the type of person to ignore an email or Facebook message, especially if I’m the only recipient. I like to think I have good manners, and to ignore their requests seems low brow.
(A few weeks later, I questioned their manners when I realized that their seemingly “personal messages” to me were likely copy and pasted and sent to many people. My friend’s Replacements reference made me think he was truly reaching out to me, but in reality, the Replacements are an 80s indie rock band that anyone between the ages of 30 and 45 would be interested in seeing again. He probably sent the same message to any Facebook friend who might like the Replacements).
I was instantly sympathetic to their pleas for help — I’m a huge movie lover (Daryl Hannah’s whistle song from Kill Bill is my ringtone). And of course I want to help people get healthier and make ugly neighborhoods prettier, which has been proven to reduce crime.
The problem is I owe thousands to credit card companies. Not to mention my mortgage, car payment and monthly bills. I’m expecting my first child this winter, and in addition to all of the leopard print baby clothes I want to buy her, I just found out it costs $6500 to set up a nursery and buy the basics for the first year of life.
But in the end, I sent each of these friends $10 through PayPal. Twenty bucks may not seem like much, but it got me thinking about all of the other money I’ve donated to friends over the last year. After searching through old emails, I found I’ve given about $100 away, which could have been better spent on my credit card debt.
So I’ve decided that I need to stop giving friends and family money until I take care of my own financial needs. But I don’t want to be a jerk about it.
You may be in the same situation. I asked Dr. Daniela Schreier, a Clinical Psychologist, how you and I can respond when friends and family ask for money. Here’s her advice:
Before you start feeling guilty, ask yourself how close this person really is to you.
“You can’t give money to everybody,” says Dr. Schreier.
It’s especially unnecessary — and financially imprudent — to give money to people who aren’t even really your friends, but just your acquaintances. In the age of Facebook “friends,” it’s easy to confuse the two.
“Acquaintances send you Facebook messages and occasionally meet you socially,” she says. “Friends go with you through thick and thin. They’re few and far between.”
In my situation, I realized the two people who most recently asked me for money aren’t really friends. We’re acquaintances. I see them occasionally — and usually randomly.
From now on, when someone asks me for money, I’m going to ask myself three questions:
Do I know this person’s middle name?
Does he/she know mine?
Have I seen this person in the last six months face to face?
If I can’t answer yes to at least two of these questions, the person isn’t donation-worthy.
Support acquaintances emotionally, not financially.
“All of us — but women especially — worry that if we don’t help someone out, they won’t like us anymore, or that we’re not good people if we don’t help others,” says Schreier.
True, but I can’t just ignore the message and not reply at all.
“Email the person back saying, ‘It’s great you’re doing this. I’m happy for you and wish you well,’” says Dr. Schreier. “Definitely send them a positive message of support.”
Schreir adds there’s no need to explain your reasons for not giving the person money. But if you’re like me, you overshare, and overexplain. “If you feel you should, explain that you have rent, or a mortgage, or a family. It’s certainly understandable in this economy that people can’t throw money around,” Schreier says.
If you do give money, keep this in mind …
Sometimes, it’s just too hard to say no to a good friend or family member, especially if that person is someone you see regularly, and usually just after your return from a luxurious beach vacation.
“If you have some money to spare, you can give it to them, but don’t expect to get it back,” says Dr. Schreier. “Familiarity breeds higher unreliability in payback.”
Huh? Wouldn’t close friends and family be more apt to pay you back?
Not if they have strangers they need to pay back first. The debtor will assume that because you two are such good pals, you’ll understand if they have other people to reimburse before you.
Schreier suggests that to avoid getting frustrated down the road as you wait (and wait and wait) to be repaid, tell the person at the onset that you don’t want the money back. “Say, ‘Here’s $100 and I’m happy to help. I don’t even want the money back. But that’s all the money I can give you for this.’”
If you definitely want to get your money back, or you want to invest a large amount of money but expect some rewards (like stock in exchange for helping a friend’s start up), treat the person like a business partner. “Tell them you’ll only discuss the matter during official business meetings, and you want to see budgets and so on,” Dr. Schreier says.
I thought of a way to stop people from even asking me at all. I’m going to post this article on my Facebook page so that people hopefully read it and know better than to even ask me. Try doing the same!
How do you avoid giving away your life savings to friends?

Read more at http://www.moneyunder30.com/how-to-say-no-to-friend-asking-for-money-9605#hhCgjSGWiJwRGf23.99

JackyCheung

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: How to Say No (Nicely) When Friends and Family Ask for Money Read more at http://

別人開口借錢,如何巧妙拒絕?拒絕的智慧!
不管貧窮還是富有,生活中總會有人開口向你借錢。這個時候,是借呢?還是不借呢?

不管貧窮還是富有,生活中總會有人開口向你借錢。這個時候,是借呢?還是不借呢?反正我知道大部分人是不願意向外借錢的。想想也有道理,若是肉包子打狗,有去無回,那就真的「提錢傷感情」,「人財兩失」了。總之,只要借錢的那個人開了口,難題就拋到了被借的這一方。

「患難之中見真情」也許是對的,有時候伸出援助之手,別人也許會感激你一輩子,儘管我們做這事的時候,並不是想要得到別人的感激,而是發自內心地想要幫他。俗話說,「救人一命勝造七級浮屠」,如果有人因為家裡人病重急需要用錢,這個節骨眼能幫一把是一把,盡盡自己的綿薄之力也是應當的。至於有朋友因為高房價向你借錢,花別人的錢圓自己今天的夢,這個時候就要考慮自己的意願,以及朋友的還款能力了。

總之,事先準備好一些應對的託辭,總是有備無患。

筆者去年因為買房跟朋友借了一些錢,除了這些借給我錢的朋友,另外就是那些沒有借給我錢的所謂「藉口」了,有些理由聽起來會讓人很舒服,儘管你也清楚是對方找個理由拒絕而已,有些做法則有點……讓你們的日後相處有點點尷尬。

總之,借錢的理由千奇百怪,拒絕人的理由只有一點:如何讓借錢的人舒服、不尷尬。

1、打電話而不是發短信

電話的第一要義是顯得你很重視對方,而不是敷衍他。也許借錢的人因為內心尷尬而不好意思直接給你打電話借錢,但是如若被借的這一方也是用短信拒絕,則有點不近人道。當然,如果你的決定是借錢給對方,而不是拒絕,那麼無論數額多少,都可以用短信回覆。

這裡面沒有為什麼,只是出於安撫對方情緒的需要。商務交往還有甲方乙方之一說,儘管商務往來肯定是互惠的,否則就不會有商務往來。朋友日常交往也是自然、平等的,但是一旦一個人開口向對方借錢,那麼,她會不自覺地就處於下風。如果她不是直接給你電話請求幫助,那麼在心理上,一是她覺得她開不了這個口,二是她覺得你有拒絕她的可能。既然你剛好就決定要拒絕她,那麼不妨放下手中的事情,打個電話,安撫一下處於劣勢、焦灼的她。你可以先讚美她的決定,理解她的初衷,誇她很「善良」、很「果敢」等,而後也請她理解你的苦衷。你不是不願意幫她,而是你確實沒有實力幫她等等。

我那次借錢,基本上都是發短信,沒有打一通電話。拒絕我的朋友中,只有一個朋友在收到我的短信後,立刻給我回了電話。我不但沒有怪他,相反我很理解他,也很感激。我想,以後若是有什麼吩咐,但凡我能幫得到的,我還是會毫不猶豫地幫他。有時候,我們需要的不僅僅是錢,還有心裡的一份安慰,朋友間互相理解、互相照料的感覺。

2、坦誠相待,直接分析

假如遇到親友借錢,自己又實在無力幫忙,坦誠說明客觀情況,直接拒絕不失為一個好的方法。當然,前提條件是對方也能認同,這樣,不僅不傷害感情,還會加深彼此的理解。哦,原來我們都一樣,都不是很富有呢。

這種情況尤其適合同學、朋友之間互相「拆借」。同學和朋友,一般都是年齡相若,經濟收入狀況都差不太多,而且所有的大項支出又差不多。你需要買房,他也需要買房,你要結婚,他還正好準備要孩子呢。要了孩子,又得準備換學區房。諸如此類。總之,如果是和自己年紀差不多的同學和朋友借錢,大可以以情相待,大打苦情牌,說自己當年買房,丈母娘支持了多少萬,還打了欠條呢。

只要你坦誠相待,你的同學和朋友是不會笑話你的,更不會忌恨你。當然了,平時你也不要太高調了,去炫富哦。

3、轉移財政大權

如果你結婚了,恭喜你,你又多了一條拒絕別人借錢的理由。老公、老婆什麼時候最好用?背黑鍋的時候最好用。你可以說,你們家那口子什麼都很好,就是將錢看的太重,哎,錢都被他把的死死的,想要拿走一分錢,那簡直就是要了他的命,然後例舉你們兩口子,沒少為了錢吵架、鬥嘴,甚至鬧離婚的事。真是家醜呀。今天若不是把你逼急了,你都不好意思往外說。

這一招需要兩口子心神領會、互相配合。你的親戚向你借錢,你就賴上你老公,他的親戚向他伸手,沒法子,你就當冤大頭羅。一個唱紅臉,一個唱黑臉,最後還不是為了將自家日子過好,有什麼的呢?

4、已購買理財產品

這年代,誰有個錢還擱身上啊,早就讓它錢生錢,找出路了。可以說自己剛好買了一筆理財產品,半年期或者一年期、兩年期的,視對方借錢緊急程度而定。若對方借錢急,就說的期限短一點,若借錢不是特別緊急,就說的長一點。總之就是在他需要用錢的時候,你剛好存到銀行裡了,還拿不出來,總之就是這麼不湊巧。「要是你提前10天跟我說就好了。」真遺憾,o(∩_∩)o哈哈~

5、最近比較大的預算支出

如果你不想借錢給對方,可以告訴他,你最近有比較大的預算,可以說正準備買房子,買車,也可以說自己親弟弟、妹妹正在看房,你需要支持之類,還可以說,丈母娘給你帶了幾年的孩子,早就定好了今年去馬爾代夫,回饋他老人家之類。總之就是這些事情早先已經擬定,而且是比較大的支出,對方自然不好意思再向你借錢了。

JackyCheung

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: How to Say No (Nicely) When Friends and Family Ask for Money Read more at http://

i always loan money to my siblings, minimum 4 digit, maximum 5 digit amount. hardly get it back. i also didn ask them return. think i over-pamper my siblings. but i just do not wish money hurt the r/s.

as for friends, so far my friends all very good and kind. they never open their mouth yet to loan any money.

anybody want to share your experience?

:biggrin: