• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

how to quit smoking?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not an e-smoker, but was a regular and heavy smoker, started young. When I decided to quit, I kept reminding myself that there is no benefit from it, it smells, stains your fingers, teeth, clothes and that I don't need it anymore, it was a thing of the past, and today is anti-social. I avoided friends who smoke for about two or three months. It was tough, especially with that morning cup of coffee. Do something to take your mind off it, read, or walk, jog. After a few days, you will start feeling better, breath more easily, food even tastes better. Mentally, you have to be willing to be a non-smoker. Good luck.

Cheers!

seriously need help, any e-smokers please kindly advise.:o

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not an e-smoker, but was a regular and heavy smoker, started young. When I decided to quit, I kept reminding myself that there is no benefit from it, it smells, stains your fingers, teeth, clothes and that I don't need it anymore, it was a thing of the past, and today is anti-social. I avoided friends who smoke for about two or three months. It was tough, especially with that morning cup of coffee. Do something to take your mind off it, read, or walk, jog. After a few days, you will start feeling better, breath more easily, food even tastes better. Mentally, you have to be willing to be a non-smoker. Good luck.

Cheers!

bro agor this is the best piece of advice.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Having been a smoker before, I know it's hard to quit once it becomes habit. When I started (in my early teens), it was more a rebellious act, we thought we looked grown-up, holding a ciggie, blowing smoke out through our nostrils, ya-ya like fuck. When I see young boys and girls these days with cigarettes, it reminds me of my youth, not afraid of anything. But after years of smoking, shit, it made illness worse and more miserable, times when don't have ciggies, feel like shit, and when want to light-up, have to excuse myself from the group, and in no-smoking places (now, almost everywhere) gotta be on the lookout for smoking-designated areas. Just too cumbersome. And looking at the prices for a pack these days, am glad I quit. Hope you succeed!

Cheers!

bro agor this is the best piece of advice.

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
convert to vaping.

otherwise hang out with non-smokers, be it at work or during leisure time. slowly but surely you will feel that the urge to smoke becomes lesser.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Having been a smoker before, I know it's hard to quit once it becomes habit. When I started (in my early teens), it was more a rebellious act, we thought we looked grown-up, holding a ciggie, blowing smoke out through our nostrils, ya-ya like fuck. When I see young boys and girls these days with cigarettes, it reminds me of my youth, not afraid of anything. But after years of smoking, shit, it made illness worse and more miserable, times when don't have ciggies, feel like shit, and when want to light-up, have to excuse myself from the group, and in no-smoking places (now, almost everywhere) gotta be on the lookout for smoking-designated areas. Just too cumbersome. And looking at the prices for a pack these days, am glad I quit. Hope you succeed!

Cheers!

sometimes, i feel like a criminal when i light up.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sigh...i did it again, i was smoke free earlier today until i pass by the joss paper shop, went in and buy a pack and start smoking again.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
seriously need help, any e-smokers please kindly advise.:o

Hi Kraft, cold turkey is the way to go.

Was smoking since ns days, more than 15years ago, as previous job entails traveling to the USA, Europe and Japan quite often and always during outstation always smoke the most. In one of the trip was determined to quit. So on boarding plane, throw away the ciggy. Even layover at narita airport, even though urge very strong, also try not to think about it. Drank lots of coffee though, finally land in the US. As this trip was particularly long, more than 3 weeks, really very tough, but still did not smoke, and after 1 week, the urge to smoke got lesser and lesser throughout the trip.

Finally when got back, totally stop. Till now, never touch ciggy anymore.

Come to think of it, it felt good, no more bad cough and smokers breadth.
Was glad to have given up smoking.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Kraft, cold turkey is the way to go.

Was smoking since ns days, more than 15years ago, as previous job entails traveling to the USA, Europe and Japan quite often and always during outstation always smoke the most. In one of the trip was determined to quit. So on boarding plane, throw away the ciggy. Even layover at narita airport, even though urge very strong, also try not to think about it. Drank lots of coffee though, finally land in the US. As this trip was particularly long, more than 3 weeks, really very tough, but still did not smoke, and after 1 week, the urge to smoke got lesser and lesser throughout the trip.

Finally when got back, totally stop. Till now, never touch ciggy anymore.

Come to think of it, it felt good, no more bad cough and smokers breadth.
Was glad to have given up smoking.

many thanks, bro 41, it's tough but i am going to give it a shot.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TS, from my experience with ex-smokers and smokers who tried unsuccessfully to quit, here are a few pointers:

1. Always go cold turkey. Gradual reduction almost always doesn't work. I know a man who went from 40 cigs to 4 cigs a day after 3 months. He then had a stressful spell at work and went straight back to 40 cigs within a week.

2. Fight withdrawal symptoms with: nicotine patches, nicotines inhalers, drugs like Zyban, acupuncture, lots of water. It's going to be tough for the first 3 months: withdrawal symptoms, frequent coughs and colds, lethargy, poor concentration.

3. Change lifestyle. Avoid going out with all smoking friends and colleagues for 3 months. Avoid going to places where you used to take a drag – the neighbourhood kopitiam, your void deck, etc. Substitute a different activity when you feel most likely smoking, esp. after a meal – go for a walk or jog.

Good new is, after about 3 months, the urge will go away. One day you'll actually find the smell of secondhand smoke disgusting – that's when you'll have succeeded (that's what my ex-smoker friends tell me). Even then, be on your guard ... I know of people who have quit for a year and gone back just because they took one puff, thinking it was harmless.