• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

how to handle this ? anyone can advise ?

alvin36

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would like to quote an incident happenned to a friend few days ago.... appreciate if anyone can advise.

Few days ago, my friend alight from a taxi, open the door, but it stretches someone's car. Before he knew it, the taxi already drove off. The car owner is slow to notice too, when he saw it, he catch hold of my friend and demand compensation. Both are decent guys, my friend thought he was in the wrong, give him his contact, and prepared to pay for the damage.

Now, the car owner bring the receipt to him, damage cost $300. My friend is young and dont know that it can cost so much !! Now.. he dont know what to do....

I told him, he should not agree to pay in the beginning. The car owner should claim insurance from the taxi. after all, he is just a passenger.

But now.. it seems too late. How ? anyone have similar experience ?
Who should pay the damage ?

If I were him, I would have tell the car owner to go after the taxi driver on the spot. Which I think is the right way.

RonRon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tell your friend to fuck care him! There is no such thing as a non driver paying the small demage

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Scratch paint only cost about $100 how come $300. Don't pay because price unreasonable. Maybe he owner paint more area and claim all under your friend. The owner should have call your friend and stated the price before work on the car at least give you friend a change to find/choice for looking for cheaper workshop.
What is the car Ferrari?

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
The car owner should claim from his insurance policy, but likelihood is he still has to pay from his own pocket because of the excess, which nowadays is not going to be lower than $500 if yuo are lucky.

I think that yr fren is immediately liable even tho he was not driving. He should have asked the taxi driver to move away the vehicle if he thought that he was likely to scratch it. If yr fren has overlooked, then he was careless.

There is such a thing as a non-driver paying a small damage if indeed he is at fault!

But Singaporeans' mentality is to deny all fault and refuse to pay anything, and come to blows if necessary!

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
If your friend does not pay, the car owner can also do nothing to him. Can't sue your friend bankkrupt as the amount is total $300 only.

Since you mentioned both are decent people, perhaps you friend should suggest to pay for $100 as his part of compensation and the remainder either claim insurance or from the car driver.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Contributing a bit to the damage would be gracious. Singaporeans can get real petty over something like a tiny scratch on their cars, and over-react as if the sky has fallen.

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
fart up singaporeans everywhere!

small scratch also kpkb!!! everything also kpkb!!!!

sinkies are dead fish and deaf frogs!!!

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you already said your friend will pay for the damages, then pay lah, dun avoid responsibilities...because your fren caused the scratch. be a man.

but first check the receipt if it is only for fixing the scratch, or other things which your friend is not obliged to pay...

How to check receipt. Of course the owner will ask the foreman to write paint work.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Few days ago, my friend alight from a taxi, open the door, but it stretches someone's car. Before he knew it, the taxi already drove off. The car owner is slow to notice too, when he saw it, he catch hold of my friend and demand compensation. Both are decent guys, my friend thought he was in the wrong, give him his contact, and prepared to pay for the damage.

He's lucky he's still alive and not missing an arm or a leg. Always alight at the kerbside. Simple logic that idiots can't understand.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wat makes u so sure he din alite on ze curb side? ... :confused:

If he alighted at kerbside and his open door still managed to scratch a car, that car is parking illegally on pavement. Pay compensation for what? Call police to tow away the offending car if the driver still don't f*ck off.

Second possible scenario is of course, he asked the taxi driver to stop in the middle of the road abreast of another car on the left. And the taxi driver did it. Both still idiots. Why risk life and limbs (passenger) and livelihood (taxi driver's licence) for little conveniences like that?

Last edited:

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ask your friend to discreetly find out the name of workshop. Give the workshop a call and pretend as customer/ or a referral enquiring for a quote...... the rest depends on how your friend wayang to dig out more information regarding the work vs price charged for that particular car. Caution this requires eq and alot of wayang skill.

How to check receipt. Of course the owner will ask the foreman to write paint work.

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i am also a decent guy and driving a cab...What if this "car scratch" shit happen to me, who will help me?:rolleyes:

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Tell your "friend" not to use his "friend" as a messenger next time.

Seems like a lot of "friends" get into trouble here. Most forummers here must be walking on water....

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Few days ago, my friend alight from a taxi, open the door, but it stretches someone's car.

How on earth did the car end up getting stretched???:eek: It would take a tremendous amount of force to cause such severe damage.:confused:

Your friend is lucky to get away with a $300 bill. Most stretched cars end up being written off as structural damage is almost impossible to fix. He should pay up and count himself lucky the owner doesn't realise the seriousness of the situation.