• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How Many SG Youths Are As Lucky As Jane?

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As the FAP liberally beg PRC, Indian, Burmese, Viet, Pinoy and what-have-you-not FTrash to take their free scholarships?

May 11, 2011

Top Ngee Ann poly student gets blank cheque for studies

<!-- by line -->By Amelia Tan
<!-- end by line -->
<!-- end left side bar -->
lee.desmondfoo.jpg
Ngee Ann Poly's top students Merissa Jane Lee Hui Yi. -- ST PHOTO: DESMOND FOO

<!-- story content : start -->
NGEE Ann Polytechnic (NP) top student Merissa Jane Lee, 19, knew that it would be difficult for her parents to afford the $150,000 in tuition fees for a film-and-television degree in the United States (US).
But now, the mass communication student does not have to worry as she has received a 'blank cheque' from the Ngee Ann Kongsi foundation which she can use to pay for tuition fees at any university of her choice.
The bond-free scholarship comes with the Ngee Ann Kongsi Gold Medal which is given out each year to NP's top student, who will also get $10,000 in cash.
Top students from the various NP schools are interviewed by a panel of judges made up of the polytechnic's senior management who decide whom will get the medal.
Ms Lee, who has a Grade Point Average of 3.83 and who scored mostly As and Bs for her modules, said she aimed to get the medal since her first year at the polytechnic. She added that she was 'filled with a sense of relief' when she learnt that she got it two weeks ago.
'Without a scholarship, my dreams of studying overseas would be dashed. So from my first year in poly, I've been working hard, staying back late at night in school, working on projects and studying hard to make sure that I gave my best for every assignment. It really feels like a dream come true,'said Ms Lee, who hopes to pursue a career in TV and film in the US.