• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How many fires caused by charging of PMDs?

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal

Town council cleaners, Grab riders commended for rescuing couple from fire in Yishun flat
1 of 2
dummy.gif

(From left) Mr Easin Mohammad, Mr Hossan Mohammad Saddam and Mr Biswas Md Wasim, immediately rushed up to the flat which was engulfed in flames.

(From left) Mr Easin Mohammad, Mr Hossan Mohammad Saddam and Mr Biswas Md Wasim, immediately rushed up to the flat which was engulfed in flames.
PHOTOS: NEE SOON TOWN COUNCIL, LIANHE ZAOBAO
jessie_lim.png

Jessie Lim

NOV 19, 2020

SINGAPORE - Three town council cleaners at work at a block in Yishun last Saturday (Nov 14) wasted no time in responding when they heard cries for help.

Mr Easin Mohammad, 27, Mr Biswas Md Wasim, 41, and their supervisor, Mr Hossan Mohammad Saddam, 30, immediately rushed up to a flat on the fourth storey which was engulfed in flames.

Using a sledge hammer Mr Saddam grabbed on the way up, the trio forced open the metal gate of the two-room flat occupied by Mr Ismail Sanif, 53, and his wife.

“I did not think about whether I would be injured in the process. The only thing on my mind was that I should try to save their lives,” said Mr Saddam.

The three of them, all Bangladeshis, were joined shortly by four Grab riders who had heard about the fire from a chat group they were part of.

With the help of a neighbour, the Grab riders managed to break down the wooden door of the flat.

They were just in time to rescue Mr Ismail's wife, who was hiding from the flames in a corner of her flat, said Nee Soon Town Council chairman Derrick Goh on Facebook on Sunday.

Mr Ismail, who was halfway through a shower, had climbed onto the ledge outside his toilet to escape the fire even though he was not fully dressed.

Battling the "thick smoke that blinded and choked them", the Grab riders and the neighbours took turns to help put out the fire, said Mr Goh.

About 40 residents evacuated themselves from the block before the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) was alerted at 9.45am to the fire.

By then, the fire in the kitchen was already under control but one still raged through the bedroom, said one of the Grab riders, Mr Omar Syarif, 24.

“If we did not do anything, the whole flat may have burned down with two lives on the line,” he added.

A Nee Soon Town Council spokesman confirmed on Thursday that Mr Ismail's wife was taken to the Singapore General Hospital with burn injuries, while Mr Ismail was assessed for smoke inhalation but declined to be taken to hospital.

Commending Mr Ismail's neighbours, the town council cleaners and Grab riders for their part in the rescue, Mr Goh said he was touched by the strong community spirit in his ward, Nee Soon Link.

He added that Nee Soon grassroots leaders are assisting the couple to make insurance claims and obtain emergency funds to rebuild their home.

Preliminary investigations indicated that the fire was caused by an electric bicycle left to charge.

m&d may have no IT talent, but plenty of bravery talent, Rambo talent.

Seems like their bravery has some uses for SAF....

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fire caused by e-bike battery breaks out at Toa Payoh flat on Monday night​

ac_fire_010222.jpg

Around 20 people, including two occupants of the affected unit, had evacuated themselves before the SCDF officers arrived. PHOTOS: SINGAPORE CIVIL DEFENCE FORCE /FACEBOOK
Syarafana_byline.png

Syarafana Shafeeq

Feb 1, 2022

SINGAPORE - A fire broke out at Block 52 Lorong 6 Toa Payoh on the eve of Chinese New Year, involving items stored at a service yard of a unit on the ninth floor.
The Singapore Civil Defence Force said it was alerted to the fire at 10.25pm on Monday (Jan 31), and extinguished the fire with two compressed air foam backpacks and one water jet.
Around 20 people, including two occupants of the affected unit, had evacuated themselves before the SCDF officers arrived, and 30 more people from the block were evacuated as well as a precautionary measure.
Two people were also assessed by the SCDF for smoke inhalation, but refused to be conveyed to the hospital. No other injuries were reported.
According to preliminary investigations, the fire had originated from the battery pack of a power-assisted bicycle (PAB), the SCDF added.
In a Facebook post on Tuesday (Feb 1), the SCDF reminded the public to not charge batteries of PABs and personal mobility devices (PMDs) for an extended period of time or overnight.
The public is also urged to not purchase or use non-original batteries.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

5 people taken to hospital after fire breaks out in Jurong West HDB flat​

5 people taken to hospital after fire breaks out in Jurong West HDB flat

A fire broke out in a third floor unit at Block 723, Jurong West Ave 5 on Jan 19, 2022. (Photo: Facebook/Singapore Civil Defence Force)

Ahmad Zhaki Abdullah

@ZhakiCNA
19 Jan 2022

SINGAPORE: Five people were taken to hospital for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in a Housing Board flat in Jurong West early on Wednesday morning (Jan 19).
The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said it was alerted to the fire at Block 723, Jurong West Ave 5 at about 6.10am.
The fire was in a unit on the third floor of the block and involved "the contents of a living room", SCDF said in a Facebook post.
Preliminary investigation shows that the fire originated from the battery pack of a power-assisted bicycle - otherwise known as a PAB or an e-bike. The battery was being charged at the time of the fire, said SCDF.

RESIDENTS EVACUATED BEFORE SCDF ARRIVED​

There were six people in the flat when the fire broke out, all of whom had evacuated before SCDF arrived. Five of them were taken to Singapore General Hospital for smoke inhalation, said SCDF.
About 45 people from neighbouring units had also evacuated before SCDF arrived, it said.
The fire and was extinguished with one compressed air foam backpack, said SCDF.
"SCDF would like to remind the public on the prevention of PMD/PAB fires, including not to charge batteries for an extended period of time or overnight. Do not buy or use non-original batteries."
In October, a 22-year-old man died and another was injured after a fire involving a PMD broke out in a flat at another HDB block in Jurong West.
There were 29 fires involving PMDs and e-bikes in the first half of last year, down 32.6 per cent from 43 from the same period in 2020.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Hold irresponsible home owners accountable for fires​

Feb 10, 2022

The recent spate of fires in public housing flats is cause for concern (Blazes at weekend disrupt CNY plans for residents, Feb 4; 3 fires in a single night; man arrested over Telok Blangah blaze, Jan 30).
Many fires in homes are of electrical origin, involving personal mobility devices (PMDs) or power-assisted bicycles (PABs).
When a fire occurs in a flat, residents in adjoining units have to evacuate their premises until it is safe to return to their flats, and they have to clean up the accumulated soot and charred walls of their homes. The fear and anxiety felt by the residents are immeasurable.
In 2020, 46 fires or 67.6 per cent of the fires involving PMDs and PABs occurred in residences.
If investigations reveal negligence on the part of PMD and PAB owners, then they should be held accountable. They should also compensate neighbours for damage to their properties.

Andrew Seow Chwee Guan

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

'It is a tragedy that happened to our family': PMD fire at New Upper Changi Road flat​

Nadine Chua and Shermaine Ang

Mar 9, 2022

SINGAPORE - Three unconscious people were rescued from a flat in Bedok after a fire, caused by a personal mobility device (PMD) charging in a living room, broke out on Wednesday (March 9).
When Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) personnel arrived at Block 27 New Upper Changi Road at about 1.15pm, one occupant, who had self-evacuated with a baby, informed them that there were still people in the burning three-room flat, SCDF said in a Facebook post.
Firefighters entered the fourth-floor unit and found the three unconscious people in a room. One of them was not breathing, and was given cardiopulmonary resuscitation before she was sent to Changi General Hospital (CGH).
A man, who identified himself as the occupant who escaped with the baby whom other block residents told The Straits Times is his nephew, said: "It is a tragedy that happened to our family." He declined to give further comment.
A total of four people were taken to CGH and Singapore General Hospital, including a resident from a neighbouring unit who suffered burn injuries on her shoulder when she was self-evacuating before the SCDF officers arrived.
About 50 residents were evacuated by the police as a precautionary measure, SCDF said.
The fire was extinguished with one water jet.

When ST arrived at the scene at 4.30pm, charred debris could be seen on the fourth floor and cleaners were washing the corridor floor.
Resident Tan Eng Hok, 70, who lives two doors from the affected unit, said he was surfing the Internet on his phone when he started seeing smoke along the corridor.
The part-time airport worker, who has lived in the block for around 10 years, said: "It was very scary, I have never seen flames that big in my life.

"My maid and I quickly filled up buckets of water and tried to fight the fire. At one point, I felt the heat on my skin, but I knew I had to help.
"I don't know (the residents in the affected unit) but I had to help them."
Another resident, Mr Tan Toh Guan, 84, was reading the newspaper when his wife told him she smelt smoke.
Mr Tan, who lives next to the affected unit, said: "The smell got stronger so we just evacuated immediately. We didn't think about taking anything with us. We just wanted to be safe."
Ms Jen Reyes, 37, was working from home with her husband when the lights and fan in their living room suddenly shut off.
"I looked out the window and saw smoke. The first thing that went through my mind was that we have to get out now," said Ms Reyes, who works in IT and has been living in a corner unit on the third floor for a year.
Ms Reyes, whose five-year-old daughter was in school when the fire broke out, said: "It's a good thing she wasn't at home then. I think it would have been really scary for her."
Preliminary investigations showed that the fire was of electrical origin from a PMD which was charging in the living room, SCDF said, adding that two other power assisted bicycles were also found in the unit.
It added that non-UL2272 PMDs and any form of modifications to PMDs pose a fire risk, and urged owners to dispose of their devices at the appropriate recyclers.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Three unconscious people rescued from flat in New Upper Changi Road after PMD fire​

1 of 2
ads-firechangi-09032022.jpg

The aftermath of the fire at Block 27 New Upper Changi Road, believed to be caused by a personal mobility device charging in the living room.
PHOTO: SCDF/FACEBOOK

1646827483386.png

When SCDF personnel arrived at about 1.15pm, one occupant self-evacuated with a baby and there were still people in the burning three-room flat. PHOTO: SCDF/FACEBOOK

Nadine Chua and Shermaine Ang

Mar 9, 2022

SINGAPORE - Three unconscious people were rescued from a flat in Bedok after a fire, caused by a personal mobility device (PMD) charging in a living room, broke out on Wednesday (March 9).
When Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) personnel arrived at Block 27 New Upper Changi Road at about 1.15pm, one occupant, who had self-evacuated with a baby, informed them that there were still people in the burning three-room flat, SCDF said in a Facebook post.
Firefighters entered the fourth-floor unit and found the three unconscious people in a room. One of them was not breathing, and was given cardiopulmonary resuscitation before she was sent to Changi General Hospital (CGH).
A man, who identified himself as the occupant who escaped with the baby whom other block residents told The Straits Times is his nephew, said: "It is a tragedy that happened to our family." He declined to give further comment.
A total of four people were taken to CGH and Singapore General Hospital, including a resident from a neighbouring unit who suffered burn injuries on her shoulder when she was self-evacuating before the SCDF officers arrived.
About 50 residents were evacuated by the police as a precautionary measure, SCDF said.
The fire was extinguished with one water jet.

When ST arrived at the scene at 4.30pm, charred debris could be seen on the fourth floor and cleaners were washing the corridor floor.
Resident Tan Eng Hok, 70, who lives two doors from the affected unit, said he was surfing the Internet on his phone when he started seeing smoke along the corridor.
The part-time airport worker, who has lived in the block for around 10 years, said: "It was very scary, I have never seen flames that big in my life.

"My maid and I quickly filled up buckets of water and tried to fight the fire. At one point, I felt the heat on my skin, but I knew I had to help.
"I don't know (the residents in the affected unit) but I had to help them."
Another resident, Mr Tan Toh Guan, 84, was reading the newspaper when his wife told him she smelt smoke.
Mr Tan, who lives next to the affected unit, said: "The smell got stronger so we just evacuated immediately. We didn't think about taking anything with us. We just wanted to be safe."
wgt-upperchangipmd-090322.jpg

Charred debris could be seen on the fourth floor and cleaners were washing the corridor floor. PHOTO: SCDF/FACEBOOK
Ms Jen Reyes, 37, was working from home with her husband when the lights and fan in their living room suddenly shut off.
"I looked out the window and saw smoke. The first thing that went through my mind was that we have to get out now," said Ms Reyes, who works in IT and has been living in a corner unit on the third floor for a year.
Ms Reyes, whose five-year-old daughter was in school when the fire broke out, said: "It's a good thing she wasn't at home then. I think it would have been really scary for her."
Preliminary investigations showed that the fire was of electrical origin from a PMD which was charging in the living room, SCDF said, adding that two other power assisted bicycles were also found in the unit.
It added that non-UL2272 PMDs and any form of modifications to PMDs pose a fire risk, and urged owners to dispose of their devices at the appropriate recyclers.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

One dead after Wednesday's fire at New Upper Changi Road HDB flat​

btnewchangi20220310.jpg

The fire is believed to have been caused by a personal mobility device charging in a living room. PHOTO: SHIN MIN

Mar 11, 2022

SINGAPORE - One of the nine family members who lived in a Bedok flat where a fire broke out on Wednesday (March 10) has died.
Deputy Prime Minister Heng Swee Keat said he visited the family on Thursday, and was saddened to hear of the death. The family has also received help for a temporary place to stay, as well as various other essential items.
"My team is following up with other necessary assistance for the family. I also spoke to the neighbouring units and I'm relieved that they were quickly evacuated and are doing fine," he wrote in a Facebook post.
"This incident has brought out the kampung spirit in the community, but it is also a reminder to us all about the potential fire risk of personal mobility devices, and to stay vigilant," wrote Mr Heng, who is an MP for East Coast GRC.
Three people were rescued unconscious by the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) personnel when they arrived at the three-room flat at Block 27 New Upper Changi Road on Wednesday at about 1.15pm.
Preliminary investigations by SCDF showed the fire had started from a personal mobility device charging in the living room of the fourth-storey flat.
About 50 residents were evacuated by the police as a precautionary measure.

gingerlyn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Government should implement new law. Users cannot push PMD into the lift and cannot keep PMD in their house.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Fire in Bukit Merah flat linked to power-assisted bicycle that was charging​

1 of 2
aabktmerahfire0804.jpg

The unit and a section of the corridor were affected by heat and smoke damage. ST PHOTO : BRYAN CHEONG

1649415906592.png

Preliminary investigations showed that the fire originated from the battery pack of a power-assisted bicycle which was charging in the living room. PHOTO: SINGAPORE CIVIL DEFENCE FORCE/FACEBOOK

AK_sa_170122.png

Shermaine Ang

Apr 8, 2022

SINGAPORE - A fire linked to a power-assisted bicycle that was charging broke out at Block 38 Beo Crescent in Bukit Merah on Friday (April 8).
No injuries were reported.
At about 8.15am, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) responded to the fire, which involved the contents of a living room in a 10th floor unit, it said in a Facebook post.
Preliminary investigations showed that the fire originated from the battery pack of a power-assisted bicycle which was charging in the living room, it added.
When SCDF personnel arrived, the fire was raging and thick black smoke billowed from the flat.
The blaze was extinguished with a water jet.
The unit and a section of the corridor were affected by heat and smoke damage, SCDF said.

About 30 people from neighbouring units self-evacuated before SCDF officers arrived.

SCDF reminds the public to take steps to prevent fires linked to power-assisted bicycles and personal mobility devices, such as not leaving their charging unattended for an extended period of time or overnight.
The charging should not be done near combustible materials or along an escape path.
It added that only original batteries should be bought and used.
aafirebktmerah0804.jpg

The blaze was extinguished with a water jet. ST PHOTO : BRYAN CHEONG

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
PMDs are truly terrifying harbinger of doom. Thankfully no PMDs in my high SES neighbourhood. :cool:

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Two people taken to hospital after PMD fire at Hougang flat​

yupmdfirecollage231122_1.jpg

Preliminary investigations indicated that the fire had likely started from a personal mobility device which was being charged in the living room. PHOTOS: SCDF/FACEBOOK
Yong Li Xuan

NOV 23, 2022

SINGAPORE - Two people were taken to hospital and about 20 people were evacuated after a flat in Hougang caught fire on Wednesday afternoon.
Preliminary investigations indicated that the fire had likely started from a personal mobility device which was being charged in the living room.
The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said on Facebook that it was alerted to a fire at the fifth-storey flat in Block 699 Hougang Street 52 at about 2.30pm.
Firefighters had to force their way into the smoke-filled unit to fight the blaze.
The fire, which was confined to the living room, was extinguished with a water jet.
SCDF rescued two people from the kitchen and they were taken by ambulance separately to Singapore General Hospital and KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital for smoke inhalation.
As a safety precaution, the police evacuated about 20 residents from the affected block.

The SCDF also urged people not to charge batteries for an extended period of time or overnight, and not to purchase or use non-original batteries to prevent fires caused by personal mobility devices or power-assisted bicycles.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

100 evacuated, 2 taken to hospital after personal mobility aid fire at Woodlands HDB flat​

acfire1191222_5.jpg

About 100 people were evacuated at around 2am on Monday after a fire broke out in a flat at Block 806 Woodlands Street 81. PHOTO: SCDF
jessielim.png

Jessie Lim

Dec 19, 2022

SINGAPORE – A fire broke out on Monday morning at Block 806 Woodlands Street 81, which led to 100 people being evacuated from the Housing Board block as a precaution.
Two people were taken to Khoo Teck Puat Hospital for smoke inhalation.
The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said preliminary investigations revealed that the fire was of electrical origin. It is believed to have started from a personal mobility aid in the unit’s living room.
This comes 11 days after the death of Sergeant (1) Edward H. Go, who fell unconscious when battling a fire in a two-room flat in Henderson Road on Dec 8. He died on the same day.
The fire was likely of electrical origin.
On Monday, SCDF said it was alerted to the Woodlands fire at 2am.
SCDF said: “The fire involved the contents of a living room in a unit on the fifth floor. SCDF extinguished the fire using two hose reels.”

Warning members of the public about fires of electrical origin, SCDF said they should not charge batteries for an extended period of time or overnight.
It added: “Do not purchase or use non-original batteries.”
In 2021, the top three sources of fires were unattended cooking, followed by electrical fires and fires involving household contents such as furniture.
That year, there were 32 fires involving personal mobility devices and 23 involving electric bicycles.

Five tips to prevent electrical fires​

-Regularly check your device’s batteries for any damage or deformities, such as the presence of corrosion or powdery residue
-Do not charge a personal mobility device or power-assisted bicycle along the escape path of your residence
-Charge your device on a hard, flat surface so that heat can dissipate
-Use a power adaptor that carries the Safety Mark and which is recommended by the device’s manufacturer
-Buy a personal mobility device that is certified under the UL2272 standard. Power-assisted bicycles should be certified under the EN15194 standard and bear the Land Transport Authority’s orange seal of approval
Source: Singapore Civil Defence Force, Land Transport Authority and National Fire And Emergency Preparedness Council

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

PMD that caused fatal fire in lift non-compliant, coroner’s inquiry told​

nzfire040621_1.png

On the first day of a coroner’s inquiry, a police investigation officer said the device was non-compliant with safety standards. PHOTOS: SINGAPORE CIVIL DEFENCE FORCE/FACEBOOK
wong_shiying.png

Wong Shiying

Dec 27, 2022

SINGAPORE - A 20-year-old man died of extensive burns and smoke inhalation after his modified personal mobility device (PMD) burst into flames while he was in a lift with it.
On the first day of a coroner’s inquiry into the death of Mr Muhammad Irfan Danish Azhar, a police investigation officer said on Tuesday that the device was non-compliant with safety standards.
Woodlands Division Station Inspector Sofian Azami said the PMD was already modified when Mr Irfan bought it from online platform Carousell in December 2020.
“He modified it (further) by changing the battery to (one of) a higher voltage,” he said.
Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) senior fire investigator Muhammad Faizal Mazlan, who also took the stand on Tuesday, said the fire was of electrical origin and likely occurred from within the PMD.
“The battery pack did not have a battery management system (BMS), which protects against overcharging or overheating.
“Bypassing the BMS allows the PMD to charge faster, but more current could have been drawn from the battery than expected, possibly leading to overheating,” he said.

The court heard that Mr Irfan left his flat on the ninth floor of Block 537 Woodlands Drive 16 at around 11.25pm on June 3, 2021, to help a friend to tow a PMD.
According to witness accounts and closed-circuit television footage, he was alone in the lift with his PMD when flashes of orange light were seen as the lift descended.
An explosion was heard and Mr Irfan was seen pressing lift buttons on the lower register. The lift door’s opened on the second floor and he fled from the burning lift.

One resident heard someone in pain calling out for his mother and later saw Mr Irfan on fire. Parts of his body were charred and other areas pinkish.
Neighbours put out the lift fire with buckets of water before SCDF officers arrived. Police officers found Mr Irfan covered in ashes lying on a staircase landing.
He was conscious then and told them that he could not breathe.
Mr Irfan was taken to Khoo Teck Puat Hospital and he died the next day. He suffered burns on 95 per cent of his body surface area.

According to his best friend, Mr Irfan had bought the PMD for about $1,800 on Carousell.
The friend knew the device was modified as he had seen Mr Irfan riding faster than he would on PMDs approved by the authorities, the police investigator said.
Said Station Insp Sofian: “The deceased was known to have a vast interest in PMDs and had antecedents with LTA (Land Transport Authority) for owning modified devices.”
According to his stepmother, Mr Irfan would typically charge the PMD for four to five hours at home after completing his round of deliveries.
20210604245395820950e45e-c0fc-4a44-a87b-b80f272e74d8_1.jpg

Mr Muhammad Irfan Danish Azhar was alone in the lift with his PMD when it caught fire on June 3, 2021. PHOTO: LIANHE ZAOBAO FILE
Senior fire investigator Muhammad Faizal said the most probable scenarios leading to the fire include cumulative damage to the battery pack and overheating of components.
Mr Irfan had used a 24Ah battery pack in the PMD that day, the court heard. A 15Ah battery pack came with the PMD when he bought it.
Investigations found that the motor of the PMD was also modified, likely to allow the user to ride it at a higher speed.
The inquiry continues.
In 2021, there were 32 fires involving PMDs and 23 involving power-assisted bicycles.

Five tips to prevent electrical fires
- Regularly check your device’s batteries for any damage or deformities, including the presence of corrosion or a powdery residue.
- Do not charge a personal mobility device or power-assisted bicycle in the escape path of your residence.
- Charge your device on a hard, flat surface so that heat can dissipate.
- Use a power adaptor that carries the Safety Mark and is recommended by the device’s manufacturer.
- Buy a PMD that is certified under the UL2272 standard. Power-assisted bicycles should be certified under the EN15194 standard and bear the Land Transport Authority’s orange seal of approval.
Sources: Singapore Civil Defence Force, Land Transport Authority and National Fire And Emergency Preparedness Council

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal
Never ever go into the lift with a PMD rider. Even if he goes in after me, I always walk out.

Filloz

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone who got knocked by grab or deliveroo PMD or bicycles should be allowed to sue the companies.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

1 taken to hospital after fire caused by e-bike breaks out in Punggol​

1 of 2
20230311221853_1.jpg

A charred e-bike was seen on the pavement at Punggol Place on Saturday night. ST PHOTO: RAUL DANCEL

20230311215232_1.jpg

Amanda%20Lee_0.png

Amanda Lee
Correspondent

Mar 12, 2023

SINGAPORE – One person was taken to hospital after a fire caused by an e-bike broke out on a pavement at Punggol Place on Saturday night.
When The Straits Times arrived at about 10pm, an ambulance and a Red Rhino were at the scene. A charred e-bike was also seen on the pavement.
In response to queries from ST, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said it was alerted to the fire at 9.35pm.
The fire involved a power-assisted bicycle (PAB) on a pavement and was put out with a fire extinguisher.
Preliminary investigations found that the fire had originated from the PAB, said the SCDF, adding that one person was taken to Sengkang General Hospital.
SCDF reminded users of PABs and personal mobility devices (PMDs) not to charge the devices’ batteries for an extended period. It also reminded users not to buy or use non-original batteries.
Fires involving active mobility devices, including PMDs and e-bikes, saw a 33.3 per cent drop from 63 cases in 2021 to 42 in 2022.

The figures were released in February as part of SCDF’s annual statistics report for 2022. At that time, SCDF attributed the decrease to the implementation of regulatory measures.
However, the SCDF also said that such fires continue to be a concern for the authorities as the devices involved are often used by those with walking difficulties.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

One taken to hospital after PMD catches fire in Pipit Road HDB block, hungry cats found outside unit​

aaelcat1203_1.jpg

The family had 30 cats and was thinking of giving them away for adoption due to the fire. PHOTOS: KEVIN LIM, ST READER
elainelee.png

Elaine Lee

Mar 12, 2023

SINGAPORE - A personal mobility device (PMD) caught fire while being charged along the common corridor of a Housing Board flat on the second floor in Pipit Road on Friday morning.
The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) was alerted to the fire at Block 94 at 6.45am and it was subsequently put out by a water jet.
One person was taken to KK Women’s and Children’s Hospital.
Preliminary investigation into the fire revealed that it was of electrical origin from the PMD that was charging.
SCDF reminded the public to take steps to prevent PMD fires, such as not leaving charging devices unattended for an extended period of time or overnight, and to not charge power-assisted bicycles and PMDs near combustible materials or along an escape path. Purchasing or using non-original batteries are also discouraged.
On Saturday evening, two volunteers were distributing food in the area when they came across hungry cats which appeared to live in the affected unit.
“My husband and I were looking for the units to drop off the bags of food when a few really skinny cats jumped onto us, likely due to the smell of the food that was coming from our bags,” said the wife, who declined to be named.

“We went back to our car and took two packets of cat food that we happened to keep in our car for feeding stray cats. The cats finished the food in minutes while more cats started coming out from the unit.”
Worried about the situation, the couple contacted the relevant authorities for assistance.
When they returned to the unit later that evening with more cat food, a young man told them that the family had 30 cats and was thinking of giving them away for adoption due to the fire.

When contacted by The Straits Times, the Animal & Veterinary Service (AVS) and Cat Welfare Society (CWS) said they were aware of the incident.
Group director of AVS Jessica Kwok said: “We are looking into it. We will take in the cats if they were found to be in poor conditions or neglected, and will investigate it as an animal welfare case.”
She added that AVS does not condone mistreatment of pets. First-time offenders caught abusing an animal may be charged under the Animals and Birds Act, and could be fined up to $15,000, jailed up to 18 months, or both.
President of CWS Thenuga Vijakumar said they understand that the owners have since returned to the unit.
aafirecat21203_1.jpg

A PMD and batteries seen outside of the burnt flat on the second floor of 94 Pipit Road on March 12, 2023. ST PHOTO: KEVIN LIM
“It is not clear how long the owners had been away from the unit or the current conditions of the cats.
“We are in touch with AVS and will be organising a visit by our community engagement manager to the unit to understand the condition of the cats and to offer assistance. For example, if the cats appear to be unsterilised, we can offer urgent sterilisation slots.”
When ST visited the unit on Sunday, the door was shut and no one appeared to be at home. ST observed that there was a black plastic material that was tied between the gate and door of the unit.
One resident living on level three of the block told ST that he used to feed the cats but has not seen them since Sunday.
In response to queries, MacPherson MP Tin Pei Ling said the family usually keeps their door closed.
“We came to know that there were a number of cats in the house only on Friday, when a fire broke out and the family was forced to open the door.”
ST has contacted the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals for more information.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

PMD with modified battery that caught fire in lift: Man’s death ruled a misadventure​

IMG1025.jpg

Mr Muhammad Irfan Danish Azhar suffered burns on nearly 100 per cent of his body surface area after his PMD exploded in the lift. PHOTO: BERITA HARIAN FILE
shaffiq_alkhatib.png

Shaffiq Alkhatib
Court Correspondent

Mar 29, 2023

SINGAPORE – The death of a man, who died following a fire after his modified personal mobility device (PMD) burst into flames while he was in a lift in 2021, was found to be a misadventure.
The device had been modified and was powered by an incompatible battery, State Coroner Adam Nakhoda noted in an inquiry into the death of food delivery rider Muhammad Irfan Danish Azhar, 20.
The State Coroner said on Wednesday that this case served as a timely reminder on the dangers of modified PMDs.
He also advised users not to buy such devices. Instead, they should only use those that are UL2272-certified and Land Transport Authority-registered.
The UL2272 requirement specifies a set of safety requirements covering the electrical drive train system, including the battery system and electrical components of motorised PMDs.
In earlier proceedings, an investigation officer said Mr Irfan had bought the PMD, already modified and non-compliant, from online platform Carousell in December 2020. He then further modified it with a battery of a higher voltage.
According to Mr Irfan’s best friend, the delivery rider had bought the PMD for about $1,800 on Carousell.

The friend knew the device was modified, as he had seen Mr Irfan riding faster than he would on PMDs approved by the authorities.
Shortly before the tragedy, Mr Irfan left his flat on the ninth storey of Block 537 Woodlands Drive 16 at around 11.25pm on June 3, 2021, to help a friend to tow a PMD.
According to witness accounts and closed-circuit television footage, he was alone in the lift with his PMD when flashes of orange light were seen as the lift descended.

An explosion was heard and Mr Irfan was seen pressing lift buttons. The lift door opened on the second floor and he fled from the burning lift.
One resident heard someone calling out for his mother in pain and later saw Mr Irfan on fire. Parts of his body were charred and other areas pinkish.
Neighbours put out the lift fire with buckets of water before Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) officers arrived at the scene.
Police officers found Mr Irfan lying on a staircase landing. He was conscious but told them he could not breathe.
Mr Irfan was taken to Khoo Teck Puat Hospital and he died the next day. He suffered burns on nearly 100 per cent of his body surface area.
SCDF senior fire investigator Muhammad Faizal Mazlan had earlier testified that the PMD’s battery pack did not have a battery management system (BMS), which protects against overcharging or overheating.
“Bypassing the BMS allows the PMD to charge faster, but more current could have been drawn from the battery than expected, possibly leading to overheating,” he said.
In 2021, there were 32 fires involving PMDs and 23 involving power-assisted bicycles.
Mr Irfan’s father was in court when the State Coroner delivered his findings on Wednesday. The father declined to comment when approached after the proceedings ended.