• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How did 3 doctors come out with the worse political strategy in living memory

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
6 hours after WP unveiled their candidate, SDP has yet to move.

I think SDP is good at policy ideas but may not be as good at political strategy.

How long before nomination day did WP unveil their candidate for Aljunied? Nobody said that the shock move for Low Thia Khiang was a bad political strategy.

If SDP unveil nobody it will be the most brilliant move.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How long before nomination day did WP unveil their candidate for Aljunied? Nobody said that the shock move for Low Thia Khiang was a bad political strategy.

At least a few hours before SDP and still counting. But that's not the point.

SDP said they were waiting for WP to announce their candidate before they speak to the press again. (Why they do this I am not sure, I always thought they were an opposition to PAP but this case they seem to be opposition to WP.)

Most people know the possibilities are very few. It's either GG or LLL. They also knew of the timing of 11am since it was public info.

I may be expecting too much but I expected some news within 2 hours after WP's press meeting ended. It gives the feeling that SDP hasn't planned ahead.

"Contacted last night, SDP's assistant secretary-general John Tan said the party preferred to wait till WP's announcement of its candidate before speaking to the media."

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
The WP members, supporters and astroturfers were too clever by half for their own good, mocking CSJ's "lonely" press conference in his little office without knowing what it was all about. I can understand the insecurities of the WP and its fear of being shown up and hence, its members, supporters and astroturfers have temporarily suspended their usual racism postings and "Guess the Race" racial bigotry and are now spending time and effort to mock, criticise and ridicule the SDP into withdrawing.

You mean suspending racism threads like this one?

http://www.sammyboy.com/showthread.php?140511-Another-gang-rape-on-bus-Guess-which-country

I'm just a general pro-opposition supporter. I believe that it's in the best interests of SDP to withdraw from this one. And I definitely believe that opposition parties should not be killing each other at this point in time. Maybe if SDP does contest, we can later on see which one of us is right.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
At least a few hours before SDP and still counting. But that's not the point.

SDP said they were waiting for WP to announce their candidate before they speak to the press again. (Why they do this I am not sure, I always thought they were an opposition to PAP but this case they seem to be opposition to WP.)

Most people know the possibilities are very few. It's either GG or LLL. They also knew of the timing of 11am since it was public info.

I may be expecting too much but I expected some news within 2 hours after WP's press meeting ended. It gives the feeling that SDP hasn't planned ahead.

"Contacted last night, SDP's assistant secretary-general John Tan said the party preferred to wait till WP's announcement of its candidate before speaking to the media."

It's impossible to tell if SDP is playing for time, or SDP is really going to react to what the WP does. I can't imagine how it matters to them whether or not LLL is contesting. Somebody mentioned that it would be extremely dangerous for SDP to contest against LLL because if they lose big, it means that the WP can field their third best candidate against SDP's best, and still beat them.

If they pull out, a lot of their supporters will be not happy.

Last edited:

SDPhopelessParty

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dr Chee Soon Juan, Dr Vincent Wijeysingha and Dr Paul Thambyah, all articulate, all well qualified and had enough experience including speaking at rallies come out with the worse strategy in living memory.

Was it wilful, desperation and completely wrapped up in their old world. Did they think that WP was helmed by an ignoramus and the voters completely blind and deaf laughed at Harbans Singh, MG Guru, Desmond and many like them but they did not dare make such an offer.

plant by the pap?

Alien

Very simple, though they are intelligent, they are out of touch with the real world, just like the PAP.

Intelligence is a broad word. He may not have the ability to grasp certain real life matters other than his thesis writings and theoretical works. Maybe he wanted to be sly but it back fires.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dun blame Dr Chee Soon Juan, Dr Vincent Wijeysingha or Dr Paul Thambyah. The SDP is sincerely trying to avoid a 3CF.

Now that a non-cooperative WP has been exposed, let there be a contest between PAP, SDP and another wannabee PAP in WP.

Oh Shut Up

player26

Alfrescian
Loyal
they should just go back where they belong... i think they just lost a couple of hundreds votes by this proposal alone...

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1247970/1/.html

OK, so Chee Soon Juan knew that WP was not going to accept the offer, but went ahead and made it after all.

So I don't understand. You say something that most Singaporeans think is stupid, and now you're telling everybody that on top of being stupid, you were also insincere?

It is stupid enough to say something that's stupid.
It is even more stupid to say something that's stupid and then tell everybody that in spite of knowing that it's stupid, you're saying it anyway.
And it is the stupidest of all to say that not only was it stupid, you didn't mean it as well.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

OK, so Chee Soon Juan knew that WP was not going to accept the offer, but went ahead and made it after all.

So I don't understand. You say something that most Singaporeans think is stupid, and now you're telling everybody that on top of being stupid, you were also insincere?

It is even more stupid to say something that's stupid and then tell everybody that in spite of knowing that it's stupid, you're saying it anyway.
And it is the stupidest of all to say that not only was it stupid, you didn't mean it as well.

You read him wrongly. CSJ is not a shrewd tactician. He knew he might be rebuffed, but was sincerely hoping that WP would bite at the offer.

He calculated wrong. His comment about knowing 'in advance' was merely to save face in front of his supporters.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

He's still better at writing and policy ideas than strategy and people relations. It's one gaffe after another.

After these few days and recalling what he did way back in 1993, I can rule out he's a PAP agent or sabotager. He simply lacks social skills. Social skills are the ability to relate to larger community.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
After these few days and recalling what he did way back in 1993, I can rule out he's a PAP agent or sabotager. He simply lacks social skills. Social skills are the ability to relate to larger community.

CSJ is an idealist and an academic, not a strategist. He makes a better out-and-out activist than he would a politician.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
He's still better at writing and policy ideas than strategy and people relations. It's one gaffe after another.

You don't really need social skills to be a PAP man what. Even Seng Han Thong can be a PAP MP.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You don't really need social skills to be a PAP man what. Even Seng Han Thong can be a PAP MP.

That's because the die is loaded so heavily in favour of the Pappies.

You need social skills, EQ and political nous, however, to manoeuvre an opposition party against the Goliath.

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
You read him wrongly. CSJ is not a shrewd tactician. He knew he might be rebuffed, but was sincerely hoping that WP would bite at the offer.

He calculated wrong. His comment about knowing 'in advance' was merely to save face in front of his supporters.

I don't know if he might be rebuffed. He sends out an email to Low Thia Khiang and Sylvia Lim. 2 days later he publishes the email on the internet. That is not the right way to do things. If he doesn't know that WP will not respond to the first emails, that is understandable.

He should know that he should not be putting the emails out in public for the whole world to see.
He should know that his proposal of a unity candidate will be turned down, and people will consider him an immature clown.
He should know that when you look at the facts -

1. WP contested Punggol East in 2011. So they walked the ground in 2011. SDP had never walked the ground.
2. WP had some credible results in 2011 in Punggol East in spite of there being a 3 corner fight.

WP has more of a "natural right" to be in PE than SDP. And if SDP puts somebody in there, it will turn into a multi-corner fight.

Now Kenneth Jeyaretnam is going into the fight. He is walking on the graveyard of the SDA, and I'm quite certain that Punggol East will prove to be the graveyard of the Reform Party. If SDP wants to join in, it's up to them. In a way, SDP not announcing their candidate until the last moment is a smart move.

They can still say, "see, there's PAP here, WP here, RP here, forget it. 4 corner fights are ridiculous. I'm out. Let's look ahead to 2016". There is the right thing to do, and there is the perfect excuse to do the right thing.

Chee Soon Juan misunderstands the meaning of "opposition unity". At the very least, "opposition unity" means:

1. You don't play punk with other opposition parties.
2. You don't start wars with other opposition parties.
3. If you want to "join forces", then do it by fighting the PAP on different turfs.

WP leadership understands this. Chee Soon Juan doesn't.
Most of the pro-WP / anti-SDP people on this forum don't understand this.
Most of the pro-SDP / anti-WP people on this forum don't understand this.