• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How can all Singaporeans survive like this ??

Tension68

Alfrescian
Loyal
During a recent survey, it was revealed that Singapore is amongst the top 10 most expensive city in Asia for expats.
If expats find the cost of ilving here high.. then what about the normal or average S'porean?

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_741765.html

We are ranked 6th, and Hong Kong is below us... so this is the idea LHL has when he wants Sg to be amongst the top nations in the world?
With living costs being so high, is it any wonder if average S'poreans are muttering under their breath for strugglilng to keep up with the rising cost and lowering value of their money?

To add more salt to injury, there is another study to say that Singapore empoloyers are the 3rd stingiest in the world...

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/bre...rd-most-likely-promote-without-pay-rise-study

So how is the average S'porean "not affected by inflation"?

With even electricity and garbage disposal prices rising, it is quite baffling for me to understand if the average S'poreans are really not affected.
I mean, if you get promoted, and get "performance bonuses" or "more annual leave and flexible working hours", does that really help with the rising costs all around you?
Can you pay for the bills, and feed both yourself and your family, when your pay is still what it is.. let's say for 2-3 years straight.. while your rank is promoted.. nothing else changes for your salary. Note, the price of coffee, tea has jumped from the $0.80 to $1.00 at coffee shops.. it costs even more at food courts. I'm sure that food prices has jumped too.. I don't think I need to stress on that.

The point is.. why are employers, who promote employees without raising their pay, can get away with it?
They follow the call by the govt. And this is my opinion.. remember what the govt said? To increase salaries, it must be with in line with the increase in productivity.
Employers learn and they learn fast. So they tag promotions with more "performance bonuses".. I don't know if they really do a fair appraisal, but if they don't, the employee still suffers.

I really don't understand why the low wage workers only deserve a mere SGD50.00 increase, when living costs are so high.. while the MIW's pay is into at least 6 figures. The reason given for the high salaries is that to "prevent corruption" blah blah blah.. does that mean that if our ministers don't get the 6 figured salaries, they are SURE to be corrupted???!! That really makes my mind go bonkers.

So the lwo wage workers have to work their butts off, struggle and do whatever it takes to survive.. and their jobs are legitimate.. being cleaners or whatever blue collar work available. While THOSE who the people of Sg voted to "help run the nation's economy and well being" HAS to be paid a certain amount.. otherwise...

If one stops to think.. and even asks.. where is the relevance in the logic of pay being of a certain amount.. otherwise the person will do dastardly things.. then one can see the ridiculous situation S'poreans seem to be in right now. Everything around them increase in prices; food, housing, education..etc, but pay stays same.. or even have to take pay cut..cos have to compete with "Foreign Talents"..

Something has to change.. and it isn't the normal or average S'poreans.. for most of them are busy trying hard to earn to survive.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pappies are really good in testing the tolerance level of peasants. One example is the cigarette price. By increasing little by little over a long period of time, the smokers won't any pain. Same as any other thing. Their old trick is to increase little by little and then give out some money and shed a few drops of crocodiles tears before GE. The 60.1% will continue to vote them in.

Don't worry, Pappies won't let Sinkees die. They will slowly milk everything out of the peasants. Slowly and little by little, until even no more bones. The next next generations will continue to be milked by pappies.

Tension68

Alfrescian
Loyal
I had the chance to speak with a friend a few days back and we talked about the FT situation and even the 2011 GE and Hougang BE.
I then realized why the 60% of S'poreans voted for the pappies.

My friend said he noticed the influx of FTs 24mths ago.. he noticed that around the area where he worked, the pinoys were growing in numbers.
But.. he also said that he preferred pinoys to PRC.. for various reasons.
When I mentioned that pinoys seem to be taking up jobs that S'poreans want.. he just shrugged and said.. "no choice.. our govt is pro-employers"

What he said is not untrue. If employers want to hire cheaper foreign labour, you won't see the MIW disallowing it. They might make it abit harder.. setting up some criteria to meet.. but it is usually not outside the means and capabilities of the employers. My friend even mentioned that cos MIW are so Pro-employers.. fair employment practices may never happen in our lifetime (him and me) or even in our children's lifetime (his children.. i'm still single)

I pondered and wondered if it was really so.. but he carried on.. not allowing me to have time to think
He then remarked that all these FTs were not doing any greater good for Sg, I agreed.. and commented that they add no value to Sg or S'poreans.
My take was that they take what they could.. and leave when they have had enough.
And my friend added.. "not only that.. they push down the pay scales for everyone. If an employer can hire them for 400 dollars cheaper than you or any other S'porean.. why not?"

he continued "even SMEs hire more FTs I believe. otherwise how can they keep costs down? And they usually undercut Sporens.. which is y alot of Sporeans don't work at SMEs"
I nodded and said, "true, if everyone had a ok pay to start off with, I don't think the avg Sporean would mind most blue collar jobs.. it's only bcos the pay is not even enuf to feed them or their families that they don't take up."

To furher prove his point, he asked, "cleaners jobs may be messy and seen as low.. but if the pay isn't that low.. u think sporeans won't take them up? Even construction work.. if the pay was ok.. I'm sure Sporeans will go if they really need the money"

that struck a note in my head.. I did hear from past reservist mates on why they didn't bother to take up construction jobs.. they went to ask.. but the pay was so low.. plus.. they were told, "u dun wan, i got 100s of PRC or Ah nehs who will take it.. maybe even cheaper den what i pay u"

but.. when I summed up that the MIW was either fully or partly responsible, and should be voted out in the next GE.. my friend got silent... he even said, "i don't think the situation will change in the next 10 years.." When I pressed on for more, he just made it clear that he doesn't feel any change was going to come about.. or rather.. any positive change.

it hit me then.. this was part of the 60% that voted the MIW in.. and will probably do so.
Why? Cos they are not affected yet!! They feel "safe", albeit, to me it's a false sense of "safeness". I asked him, "if the students at the recent hoohaa wif TCH could raise questions about their future.. and put TCH on the defensive.. isn't there hope for the next GE?"
He smiled and said.. "the younger ones are more garang and daring.. but not the older ones..."

I didn't speak much on any other issues I had on mind.. and instead just had pleasant chatter with him after that.
I realized how "discouraged and non'directional" my friend was. he was not hopeful that things can change..
I wanted to tell him that change may not be good in the beginning.. and that positive result may take time after change has happened... but if the change doesn't come.. I'm afraid the younger generation.. and generations following them.. will become like my friend.... lost of passion and drive.. just living for the next day.. at least that's how I feel he is doing.
he doesn't display the kind of strange feeling of rising hope in my insides.. that something has to happen to turn things around.. for if it doesn't materialise in the next 5 years.. what we have now.. may be gone..

Tension68

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pappies are really good in testing the tolerance level of peasants.
Don't worry, Pappies won't let Sinkees die. They will slowly milk everything out of the peasants. Slowly and little by little, until even no more bones. The next next generations will continue to be milked by pappies.

That's so true.. at least that's how I feel..

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What the PAP govt has done is amplify the inequalities in our society through the taxation system. It creates a big gap between the needs of the people and the ability to meet those needs. The PAP govt euphemistically calls this self-reliance:

"Whatever we do, we must uphold and strengthen the spirit of self-reliance that has enabled us to succeed. We will always give Singaporeans the means and the incentives to help themselves, for personal effort and achievement are essential to our sense of dignity and self-worth, and the means to achieve our vision of becoming a leading global city." - PM Lee....

You look around at friends especially those with talent who have immigrated to other countries. Where have they gone? Most of them have gone to Australia, New Zealand, Canada etc, countries with higher taxes and better social safety nets than Singapore. The most competitive economy in the world is Finland[Link] and it has a proper progressive taxation system that results in more equal society. Highest income earners and corporations in Singapore pay low income taxes - under PM Lee as Finance Minister, he cut income tax for the highest earners and corporate taxes and raised the GST. He also eliminated inheritance tax when nobody called for it. Companies pay low corporate taxes but we pay a lot at the worse times of our lives - when you're sick, when you're old and need support, when you're poor. The worse combination being old, sick and poor. When you have someone who is disabled that you have to support and you need a car to help him get around - that is when you really pay.

- http://singaporemind.blogspot.sg/2012/06/truth-about-taxesand-human-dignity.html

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore Hawkers and coffeeshop owners are taking advantage of the situation,
they increase prices as they like,when you asked why increased? they blame on fuel
price increased, but when petrol now has come down than what? still inncrease price???

Yesterday when down to Ang Mo Kio Av 5 coffee shop to have my usual fish soup and rice
last month was Soup $5.00 + rice 50cts =$5.50..but yesterday... I had to pay $6.50 an increase of $1.00
or 20%!!!! this will be the last time I patronised this coffeeshop, no wonder yesteday there was no crowd
hope it remains no crowd, and they'll pack up soon!!

Now who caused all these inflation bloody landlord, hawkers and coffeeshop owners!!

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
they increase prices as they like, when you asked why increased? they blame on fuel
price increased, but when petrol now has come down than what? still increase price???

Yesterday when down to Ang Mo Kio Av 5 coffee shop to have my usual fish soup and rice
last month was Soup $5.00 + rice 50cts =$5.50..but yesterday... I had to pay $6.50 an increase of $1.00
or 20%!!!! this will be the last time I patronised this coffeeshop, no wonder yesteday there was no crowd

Now who caused all these inflation bloody landlord, hawkers and coffeeshop owners!!

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro Kuailan, serious? SGD 5.5 for fish soup and rice quite expensive liaoz. SGD 6.5 lagi no need to talk unless very delicious.

Last time I had fish soup plus rice usually SGD 2.5/3/3.5. Rice only 20 or 30 cents.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What the PAP govt has done is amplify the inequalities in our society through the taxation system. It creates a big gap between the needs of the people and the ability to meet those needs. The PAP govt euphemistically calls this self-reliance:

"Whatever we do, we must uphold and strengthen the spirit of self-reliance that has enabled us to succeed. We will always give Singaporeans the means and the incentives to help themselves, for personal effort and achievement are essential to our sense of dignity and self-worth, and the means to achieve our vision of becoming a leading global city." - PM Lee....

You look around at friends especially those with talent who have immigrated to other countries. Where have they gone? Most of them have gone to Australia, New Zealand, Canada etc, countries with higher taxes and better social safety nets than Singapore. The most competitive economy in the world is Finland[Link] and it has a proper progressive taxation system that results in more equal society. Highest income earners and corporations in Singapore pay low income taxes - under PM Lee as Finance Minister, he cut income tax for the highest earners and corporate taxes and raised the GST. He also eliminated inheritance tax when nobody called for it. Companies pay low corporate taxes but we pay a lot at the worse times of our lives - when you're sick, when you're old and need support, when you're poor. The worse combination being old, sick and poor. When you have someone who is disabled that you have to support and you need a car to help him get around - that is when you really pay.

- http://singaporemind.blogspot.sg/2012/06/truth-about-taxesand-human-dignity.html

After about 3 decades in Canada, I used to hate paying the relatively higher personal income taxes (in Ontario, the combined federal and provincial personal income taxes is at a marginal 53.5% several years ago, and it is exigible on taxable income of not much higher than $100,000), but if one looks at the federal social programs (like Old Age Security - about $7,200 for each senior citizen 65 and better; and guaranteed income supplement for senior citizens with low income), then one will realize that those income taxes are partly used for the govt's social programs.

Whereas, the top marginal income tax rate is much lower, and exigible at a very much higher amount.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Please ask some experts here how to get by on $10 per day....or is it $3 per meal.

MIWs know sinkies are highly adaptable.
1001 ways to scrimp and save.
That few dollars in utilities, that few cents on transport, the stay at home hermit lifestyle, take on that part time job etc.
No worries sinkies will survive....at least the 60.1% must make it to 2016 to keep their masters in power.

they increase prices as they like, when you asked why increased? they blame on fuel
price increased, but when petrol now has come down than what? still increase price???

Tension68

Alfrescian
Loyal

So true.. when FT takes away our jobs.. and employers dun raise our pays together wif our promotions.. where's the dignity when our own govt turns the other way and coddles the employers... no wonder those who could leave.. have left.

Tension68

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro Kuailan, serious? SGD 5.5 for fish soup and rice quite expensive liaoz. SGD 6.5 lagi no need to talk unless very delicious.

Last time I had fish soup plus rice usually SGD 2.5/3/3.5. Rice only 20 or 30 cents.

Seriously??? I can't find any place that sells at such a price.. not even hawker centres.
I saw $4.00 and rice is 50cents. But $6.50 is ridiculous!!
I remember 30yrs back.. char kway teow one plate is $0.80 at my previous home.
Now.. if u dun pay $3.50.. u dun even see one C-hum...

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oh yes, another place at BLK 118 Aljunied Ave coffee shop. Fish Soup + Rice is SGD 2.80. Always remember this because the girl will always prepare a twenty cent change as expecting me to pay SGD 3 or SGD 4. Beside the fishsoup is a famous Yong Tau Hoo.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bro you long time no come back liao...
If someone else is posting I would have replied with the 'mata wear shorts time' phrase liao :biggrin:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Seriously??? I can't find any place that sells at such a price.. not even hawker centres.
I saw $4.00 and rice is 50cents. But $6.50 is ridiculous!!
I remember 30yrs back.. char kway teow one plate is $0.80 at my previous home.
Now.. if u dun pay $3.50.. u dun even see one C-hum...
Last time char kwayteow, prata, zhichar you can bring your own eggs...
Try doing that now see what reaction you get

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
UP to 2011 Sinkies still find it surivivable..Daft???...60% proven!!!! Come 2016 we shall see...guess it will still be the same story......:*:

Tension68

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ok.. I was thinking.. can an avg Sporean really survive on SGD10.00 a day?

Ok.. I leave out transport.. cos most use MRT or bus.. or drive.. hard to calculate like that.

In the morning, assuming you go out early and don't eat breakfast at home.
Buy breakfast will cost around SGD3.00. (consists of hot drink= tea or coffee at SGD1.00 or more, packet of beehoon = around SGD2.00 if u take standard meal wif no additions)
Note- if u take mac breakfast price will not be same la.. or others as well.. but if u wan lighter breakfast.. maybe one drink and a pau.. should be around SGD1.80-2.00

We stick to SGD3.00 la.

Lunch (provided u din go for tea break b4 lunch and haf a bite.. cos u got pantry that has drinks and all share to buy snacks or snacks provided by company)
If in CBD, town and not in industrial areas.. meals would be around SGD5.00 - 6.00
Why? Ok.. if you eat rice.. let's say mixed veg rice.. and call 2 veg and one meat.. maybe SGD 3.50 - 4.50 (food court prices la.. cos at hawker centres definitely cheaper) den with a drink SGD 1.30 - 1.50 (depends on u want hot or cold drink.. I put higher cos now hot weather. so cold drink)

Now.. total spending is SGD9.00 liao...if later in the day still wan coffee or tea break.. and spend money.. sure exceed SGD10.00

Dun count dinner la.. cos.. ALREADY EXCEED SGD 10.00 LIAO!!!!

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro you long time no come back liao...
If someone else is posting I would have replied with the 'mata wear shorts time' phrase liao :biggrin:
Last trip was before CNY 2012 but eat mainly home cook food and restaurant. But quite surprise at SGD 6.5 fish soup/rice at coffee shop.Consider this food court price liaoz.

BTW, the fish soup stall I mentioned is BLK 116 instead of BLK 118 at Aljunied Ave 2.

Something also wrong with the pappies logic of SGD 1K own a flat. :*: Unless the flat owner walk to work and survive on Maggi Mee every meal.