• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Hong Kong banks to buy back Lehman minibonds

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hong Kong banks to buy back Lehman minibonds

Reuters
Friday, October 17, 2008

HONG KONG: Hong Kong banks will buy back minibonds offered by the collapsed investment bank Lehman Brothers from holders at market value, as proposed by the government, the chairman of the Hong Kong Association of Banks chairman, He Guangbei, said Friday.

The association, which includes HSBC and Bank of China, has appointed accountants Ernst & Young as the independent financial adviser responsible for the buyback process, including valuation of the minibond, He told reporters after a meeting with the Hong Kong Monetary Authority, the city's central bank.

"Because the market situation is volatile, it's very difficult and hard to wait until the end of the liquidation process," He said. "We are still working on a timetable with independent financial advisers. For the time being, I don't have a deadline."

He said the price should be decided according to a methodology acceptable to banks.

The Hong Kong government had proposed a way to let investors recoup some of the losses from a reported $2 billion in securities linked to failed bank Lehman Brothers, urging distributing banks to buy the bonds back.

More than 30,000 Hong Kong investors lost money on Lehman credit-linked notes, known as minibonds, after the investment bank collapsed in the wake of the global financial crisis.

"The banks have been spending a lot of time doing this," said Chan Ka-keung, secretary for the financial services and the treasury. "I thank the banks for giving the government such a quick response. This plan can really help many mini-bond holders,"

Hong Kong Monetary Authority said Friday that it had referred 24 complaints of alleged misconduct in the sale of Lehman products to the Hong Kong Securities and Futures Commission. They involved accusations of improper selling by two Hong Kong banks, the authority said.

Investors in the product have protested outside banks in recent weeks demanding compensation, with some claiming the bonds were sold as low-risk products when they were actually complex derivatives.

Investors in Singapore who bought Lehman products have staged similar protests.

Hong Kong and Singapore both have rules stipulating banks must ensure that clients purchase investment products that are consistent with their needs and risk profiles.

Z

Zombie

Hong Kong banks will buy back minibonds offered by the collapsed investment bank Lehman Brothers from holders at market value, as proposed by the government, the chairman of the Hong Kong Association of Banks chairman, He Guangbei, said Friday.

Oversold market value at about 10%?

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seriously, I don't really want government to put in too much money to help those who lost their money. I do pity them but put it in another way, would they have made noise if they had made money? Or, would they have offered the bank's sales staff a portion of their profits? No need to guess here... should be a straight no.

Nobody force them to invest. They should have known that if there is money to be made, there is also a likelihood that the money is lost too. No exception here. And, for those claiming "mis-selling", tough luck bro/sis. End of the day, you should have done your own due diligence before signing on the dotted line.

Don't know or not sure what you are buying? Ask around. Find out more about it. I'm sure there are brochures or prospectus (or similar materials) that they can refer to. Now that the shit has already hit the fan and dried liao, don't come crying that the bank sales staff mislead you into buying. You went in with your eyes wide open and now you want to claim that your eyes are actually closed?

Tough luck...!

Z

Zombie

Is Singapore banks to buy back Lehman minibonds ?

I don't think so,
anyway underlying securities are kept with trustee who is going to sell them very soon, this means local investors are still getting their monies back at maybe 10%