• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Holding Lee Kuan Yew accountable – Part 1

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Holding Lee Kuan Yew accountable – Part 1

Dear Nice

Most of us do no see LKY as murderer or as a criminal :_)) but thats just my view

Cheers

Locke

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dear Nice

Most of us do no see LKY as murderer or as a criminal :_)) but thats just my view

Cheers

Locke

I say nothing of LKY.Its you who said everything of him.

You are merely skirting the issue.The issue is about accountability.Tell us why LKY should not be held accountable.Your call.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal

<style></style> I would be dammed.What good is accountability if one is not accountable now?

We are not talking of karma here where the almighty adds or minus your brownie points.

Accountability means you face the music for your actions now.

Sure, but do we have the votes now? The numbers in Parliament to do it? The number of judges within the Judiciary willing to enforce it?

The fact is that we have none as yet and therefore making LKY accountable now is nothing more than a fantasy dream. Unlike Obama, we don't have the levers of power and the mandate of the people as yet.

And even so, when one government has been elected to replace the old, its first task is to govern and not to pursue an uber-partisan agenda. Still, its up to a new generation within the judiciary and within the population to pursue justice or not. Therefore whether or not it would happen would depend on circumstances and so, it'd be unfair for me to predict a future that is still unpredictable to a big extent.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sure, but do we have the votes now? The numbers in Parliament to do it? The number of judges within the Judiciary willing to enforce it?

The question here is not whether you have the power to punish crime.The question is whether a crime is indeed committed.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal

The question here is not whether you have the power to punish crime.The question is whether a crime is indeed committed.

But you need a court to enforce it. A judgment without enforcement(which gives it weight and power) is basically an empty jacket. Try as we might, LKY is 85 years old already. How long does he have? We realistically have little or no chance in changing the government.

Its a Parliamentary system, not a Presidential system.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal

But you need a court to enforce it. A judgment without enforcement(which gives it weight and power) is basically an empty jacket. Try as we might, LKY is 85 years old already. How long does he have? We realistically have little or no chance in changing the government.

Its a Parliamentary system, not a Presidential system.

Let's not jump the gun ..

The issue here is about LKY's accountability.Is he accountable for his actions or not?...Yes or No.That is the issue.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dear Nice

LKY is a politician :_)) he will be held accountable by history above all else for his leadership and for his past policies. Today well you would hold the PAP LHL and his rather amusing bunch of ministers accountable. Btw its 2009 and not 1989 :_))

Locke

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dear Nice

LKY is a politician :_)) he will be held accountable by history above all else for his leadership and for his past policies. Today well you would hold the PAP LHL and his rather amusing bunch of ministers accountable. Btw its 2009 and not 1989 :_))

Locke

Why such immunity to LKY alone?Are not LHL and the rest of his cabinet politicians as well?

What logic is this !:eek:

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dear Nice

Because LKY is history and should be tending the roses in the Istana and its idiots like Dr Chee who keep on dragging him up and making him current and because its 2009 and not 1989

Locke

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dear Nice

Because LKY is history and should be tending the roses in the Istana and its idiots like Dr Chee who keep on dragging him up and making him current and because its 2009 and not 1989

Locke

Than you must explain LKY bankrupting opposition candidates after 1989.Your call.

PJ Boy

Alfrescian
Loyal

LKY is still a great influence. Without LKY, the PAP will most likely lose a few GRCs.

PJ Boy

Alfrescian
Loyal

No one is dragging LKY up, LKY himself refuses to let go.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal

LKY is still a great influence. Without LKY, the PAP will most likely lose a few GRCs.

Bet Tanjong Pagar will go first.None of the MP in that GRC is close to the grassroot..Of course,not many law firms would want to chase opposition candidates with threat to bankrupt them during election after LKY...

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal

Dear Nice

Very simply put the average voter does not give a RATs ass as whether LKY GCT and also LHL was wrong or right to bankrupt opposition candidates in the nineties and 2000, note the additional two names as they were just as involved. The only person who cares really are those opposition supporters and candidates who have taken things a mite to personally. Talk about the issues such as accountability, for LKY in GE 2009 in June and I guarantee you voters will RUN to the PAP. Its just me but I believe in issues that will win votes rather than issues that one feels are personally right.

As I explained earlier if LKY is really the centre of everything then, heck once he dies and he will die though it seems hard to believe then we will all proceed to liberal democratic heaven, if he is not the centre of everything, then again why talk about holding him accountable at a time when the WORLD Is facing economic DEPRESSION. Something I suppose the average voter cares abt i.e his job but Dr Chee cannot relate to due to his lack of steady employment over the last ten years

'Locke

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

The PAP itself felt that old man had lost it and therefore assigned GCT to push Potong Pasir back into PAP. This was in 2006. He had become a liability.

He is there because the older Cadres think that he is god. He has got tremendous amount of influence only with the PAP movement and not outside.

The 2006 pre-election dialogue with the young who were with GLCs clearly and firmly placed old man in the irrelevant bucket. If that was not enough, Chee clinical surgery of old man in court practically shuts the coffin.