• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

History's greatest archaeological discoveries

jw5

Loyal
1668172669417.png

Ötzi​

The well-preserved natural mummy of a man who scientists believe lived some time between 3350 and 3105 BCE was discovered in September 1991 frozen in a glacier in the Ötztal Alps on the border between Austria and Italy. Dubbed Ötzi, or the Iceman, his discovery ranks as another great archaeological find of the 20th century.

jw5

Loyal
1668178099972.png

Indonesian rock art​

Indonesia harbors some of the oldest known surviving cave art. In November 2018, a 40,000-year-old animal-shaped painting was discovered in caves hidden in a remote mountainous area on the Sangkulirang-Mangkalihat Peninsula, in East Kalimantan. Part of a hunting scene, it's currently the oldest pictorial record of storytelling and the earliest figurative artwork in the world.

jw5

Loyal
1668252838510.png

Knossos​

The center of Minoan civilization and capital of Minoan Crete, Knossos is the location of the largest Bronze Age archaeological site on the island and has been called Europe's oldest city. Excavations were begun at Knossos under British archaeologist Sir Arthur Evans (1851–1941) in 1900. As well as revealing the ruins of a palace, the dig unearthed a series of page-shaped tablets inscribed with an ancient Cretan writing system known as Linear B, a syllabic script that was used for writing Mycenaean Greek, the earliest attested form of Greek.

jw5

Loyal
1668257669468.png

King Richard III gravesite​

In 2012, the remains of King Richard III (1452–1485) were unearthed under a car park in Leicester, England. The former monarch—the last king of the House of York and the last of the Plantagenet dynasty—was reburied in Leicester Cathedral in 2015. The location of his original grave has been given protected status and is part of a visitor's center.

CharKuayTeow

Alfrescian
Loyal
How do we know what she say is correct? It could have said in year 2023 , aliens would invade earth!
Well this isn’t religion, no belief Is required. Anybody is free to check the accuracy of the translation by studying what is required to translate it themselves right?

CharKuayTeow

Alfrescian
Loyal
And how many person will actually do that?
Hopefully anybody who would want to doubt the veracity of the translation? No need to spread unfounded rumours if the truth can be self-discovered, right? Besides, there are more than a few scholars who can read and verify the text. so, no reason for anybody to be skeptical right?

jw5

Loyal
1668343864272.png

Easter Island Moai​

The Easter Island heads are known as Moai by the Rapa Nui people who carved nearly 1,000 towering figures of deified ancestors from volcanic tuff rock between 1250 and 1500 CE. The statues were first sighted by Europeans when they visited the islands in 1722.

CharKuayTeow

Alfrescian
Loyal
View attachment 167631

Easter Island Moai​

The Easter Island heads are known as Moai by the Rapa Nui people who carved nearly 1,000 towering figures of deified ancestors from volcanic tuff rock between 1250 and 1500 CE. The statues were first sighted by Europeans when they visited the islands in 1722.
There are several distinct types of megalith on Sulawesi that have not been studied much… reminiscent of the Easter Island megaliths. Would not be surprised if they were carved by the ancestors of the peoples who eventually ended up on Easter Island.

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
View attachment 167631

Easter Island Moai​

1 of ze statues is thao ...

from thiaoouba ...

... The reptile became a comet and carried the statues off - to Easter Island. Next,they were greeting me, wearing strange hats. One of the statues, resembling Thao,caught me by the shoulder and said, ‘Michel, Michel...wake up.’ Thao was shakingme and gently smiling.‘My goodness!’ I said, opening my eyes, ‘I was dreaming you were an EasterIsland statue and that you caught hold of me by the shoulder...’‘Iaman Easter Island statue, and Ididtake you by the shoulder.’‘Anyway, I’m not dreaming now, am I?’‘No, but your dream was really quite strange, for on Easter Island, there is astatue which was sculptured a very long time ago to immortalise me and whichwas given my name.’ ...

jw5

Loyal
There are several distinct types of megalith on Sulawesi that have not been studied much… reminiscent of the Easter Island megaliths. Would not be surprised if they were carved by the ancestors of the peoples who eventually ended up on Easter Island.

They should be investigated. :coffee:

jw5

Loyal
1668435043927.png

Borobudur​

The Borobudur Temple in Central Java, Indonesia, is the world's largest Buddhist temple. Dating back to the 8th and 9th centuries CE, the huge complex was rediscovered in the 19th century.

jw5

Loyal
1668516970475.png

Göbekli Tepe​

Göbekli Tepe (or "Potbelly Hill") is a Neolithic archaeological site near the city of Şanlıurfa in Turkey distinguished for containing the oldest-known megaliths in the world. Dated back to between c. 9500 and 8000 BCE, the massive stone pillars number more than 200. The archeological site was first surveyed in 1963.

jw5

Loyal
1668524066651.png

Nazca Lines​

Etched into Peru's Nazca Desert and visible only from the air, the Nazca Lines are huge geoglyphs that resemble animals and plants. They were created between 500 BCE and 500 CE and vary in complexity. American scientist and historian Paul Kosok (1896–1959) is credited as the first serious researcher of the Nazca Lines, the purpose of which is still a mystery. Investigators using drones have recently discovered between 80 and 100 new figures.

jw5

Loyal
1668601467902.png

Petra​

One of the world's most famous archaeological sites, Petra, in Jordan, is known for its rock-cut architecture, especially the elaborate Al-Khazneh temple (pictured is the Ad Deir monastery). Built possibly as early as the 5th century BCE, Petra remained "lost" until Swiss explorer Jean-Louis Burckhardt (1784–1817) stumbled upon the ruins in 1812.

jw5

Loyal
1668606759555.png

Olduvai Gorge​

The remote Olduvai Gorge in Tanzania is one of the most important paleoanthropological sites in the world. It was here that British-Kenyan paleoanthropologist Louis Leakey (1903–1972) and his wife, Mary (1913–1996), also a paleoanthropologist, established and developed the excavation and research programs that led them to discover fossils of ancient hominines and the earliest hominins. Mary discovered the robust Zinjanthropus skull at Olduvai Gorge in 1959.