• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

History of the Bata shoes that saw you through the schooling years...

dreamliner

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bata, who left indelible footprint in India, dies

WASHINGTON: Maybe it has to do with Tata, but most Indians think Bata is an Indian shoe company. In fact, it is originally a Czech entity, having been founded in 1894 in the town of Zlin by Tomas Bata, ninth generation descendant of a family of cobblers and shoemakers, and the father of Thomas Bata, who died in Toronto on Monday at age 94.

Bata's India connection, and vice-versa, is based on a sound footing, the shoe empire scion's wife Sonja Bata joked to this correspondent in 2006 interview in Toronto, where much of the family settled down. When Tomas Sr died in an aircrash in 1932, the apprentice son, who was only 18, took over the company even as the sound of Nazi jackboots was getting louder. He began to expand the company, first to escape the Nazis (and then the communists) arriving in undivided India in the mid-1930s and traveling from Karachi to what is now Kolkata. "We just loved it," Sonja Bata recalled, "It became part of our lives."

In time, Bata would become, like Tata, a very 'Indian' entity, with operations in eponymous towns such as Batanagar and Bataganj in India, and Batapur in Pakistan (most Pakistanis too believe Bata is a Pakistani company). Although Bata would go on to operate in more than 50 countries, the Indian sub-continent, lacking an organized footwear industry in those days, became its favored market.

The Batas themselves became steeped in Indian culture and history, returning to country several times a year. Sonja Bata's present to this correspondent as she conducted me around the remarkable Bata Shoe Museum in Toronto was a book titled ''Feet and Footwear in Indian Culture.''

Astonishing as the museum was, with its myriad kinds of footwear, including gold and silver padukas hundreds of years old, nothing compared to Mrs Bata's private collection of some of the most historic footwear to walk the earth. That evening, she showed me the plain black pumps Mrs Indira Gandhi was wearing when she was assassinated (sent to her, she said, by Rajiv Gandhi). Mexican president Vicente Fox had just mailed her his dusty knee-high boots he had worn during his election campaign.

But Mrs Bata was weighed down by the most remarkable acquisition missing from the collection at that time. A few weeks earlier, thieves had stolen a pair of bejeweled slippers belonging to the Nizam of Hyderabad, which she had bought in 1999 from a collector in Hong Kong. Encrusted with diamonds, rubies and emeralds and embroidered with gold, the slippers were valued at $ 160,000, but to Sonja Bata, they were priceless — a piece of history from her their beloved India.

As it turned out, the man who stole the slippers returned them after a national outrage, including a story in the Toronto Star with a screaming headline: I Want My Slippers Back! Even thieves, it seemed, did not wish to sully the Bata contribution to the history of footwear.

hughgrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
back in those days, most of my classmates wore the panda brand of shoes made in china. longer lasting than bata

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
322897558_dccd7a59a4.jpg

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i went thru primary school with panda. if i remember correctly, panda cost about $3-5 a pair. This was the time when china products were made to last. A pair can last thru the year. Most of the time. i wore them them it the sole wear out till can see thru. bata was more expensive than panda in those days.

by secondary school, it either BM2000 or Converse.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I wore the Bata canvas shoes. In those days China was still a closed country. In fact, it was illegal for Sporeans to visit China.

jw5

Loyal
toking bout BATA. u guys still remember 2nd chance? :smile:

Muthu dey, still around lah.....................
Company listed on SGX somemore, also in property and gold jewellery retailing, in addition to apparel.

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Muthu dey, still around lah.....................
Company listed on SGX somemore, also in property and gold jewellery retailing, in addition to apparel.

Golden chance, first lady....all under them....do Malay business is their niche market

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
toking bout BATA. u guys still remember 2nd chance? :smile:

Think 2nd Chance belongs to a Malay.. Quite well known among the Malay community.. Remembered my Malay classmates always buying their Hari Raya clothes there back then..

lee6100

Alfrescian
Loyal
First to Bata, then to school

For me it was Bata Badminton Masters. Sucked at badminton though.
Cheers!

Those days Badminton Masters ruled the world for school kids' footwear. We dreaded wet weather - every week we had to wash the shoes and then apply the Kiwi Shoe White.

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Me oni remember Ah Tiong Panther brand track shoes...then later haf de student in sch wear Addidas Rom...:biggrin::biggrin:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Those days Badminton Masters ruled the world for school kids' footwear. We dreaded wet weather - every week we had to wash the shoes and then apply the Kiwi Shoe White.

It was good discipline for boys and girls to keep their belongings clean.

I have to admit that by the time I was in secondary school, we only temporary whitened our shoes with chalk. Play soocer before classes, no choice but to hurrily chalk up the shoes when classes start.

Cheers!

Ramseth (Inf)

Alfrescian
Loyal
It was good discipline for boys and girls to keep their belongings clean.

I have to admit that by the time I was in secondary school, we only temporary whitened our shoes with chalk. Play soocer before classes, no choice but to hurrily chalk up the shoes when classes start.

Cheers!

faster way is to use the blackboard cleaner. just whack it on your shoe.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, panda shoes.

We are from the same era. :p

Not only Panda, there was the white canvas shoes that come in a brown bag, it has green trimmings near to the soles, I forgotten the name of the brand & the basket ball canvas shoes with the two round circle at the sides, in addition to Bata.

Of course it was Bata Shoes, but sometimes to save cost & time, the cheaper alternative will do, back in those days one have to make a trip to Bata Shop next to Capitol Cinema, they didn't have Franchise stores then.:biggrin: