• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Historical Lessons: The SDP debacle post 1991 GE

quincey_m

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the light of WP's victory in Aljunied GRC last week, I couldn't help but think back to another milestone of yesteryear during the 1991 GE, where the SDP attained the largest number of opposition seats in parliament since 1963. That distinction has been overtaken by the WP's victory last week. However, as arm chair critics and analyst, what do you think the WP has to do to avoid making the same mistakes as the SDP did, in the light of full frontal assault of the ruling establishment given the threat to their political hegemony?

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the light of WP's victory in Aljunied GRC last week, I couldn't help but think back to another milestone of yesteryear during the 1991 GE, where the SDP attained the largest number of opposition seats in parliament since 1963. That distinction has been overtaken by the WP's victory last week. However, as arm chair critics and analyst, what do you think the WP has to do to avoid making the same mistakes as the SDP did, in the light of full frontal assault of the ruling establishment given the threat to their political hegemony?

Back then the win was a fluke shot--given especially due to the Seet Ai Mee affair. SDP afterwards was led by the ass of a hole Chee who pushed Chiam out and failed to get his party to do anything constructive. The result--minus four seats.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Unlikely since WP is run like a tight ship under Low. Notice young turks like GMS and CTL who left the party after GE2006 over disagreements.

quincey_m

Alfrescian
Loyal
Back then the win was a fluke shot--given especially due to the Seet Ai Mee affair. SDP afterwards was led by the ass of a hole Chee who pushed Chiam out and failed to get his party to do anything constructive. The result--minus four seats.

It wasn't just the much publicized fallout between Dr Chee and Mr Chiam which mattered (and of course the MSM fully milking the situation), it also involved how there was so much disagreements and egocentric personalities within the party itself. This is where ur concept of a fluke victory comes in, it seemed as if that the SDP CEC just wasn't set up to deal with the sudden success. I'm comforted, from appearance, the current WP leadership is running a much tighter ship than Mr Chiam did back in 1991. Not to mention putting long term goals ahead short term returns, by not accepting mass exoduses of party members from other parties (I sense to the disdain of certain opposition figures who view the WP as arrogant). But one only has to look back at history to understand why this is the right decision if we recall the impact the WP exodus of 1991 into the SDP has in the political dynamics of the latter, which played a part in the eventual falling out.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
It wasn't just the much publicized fallout between Dr Chee and Mr Chiam which mattered (and of course the MSM fully milking the situation), it also involved how there was so much disagreements and egocentric personalities within the party itself. This is where ur concept of a fluke victory comes in, it seemed as if that the SDP CEC just wasn't set up to deal with the sudden success. I'm comforted, from appearance, the current WP leadership is running a much tighter ship than Mr Chiam did back in 1991. Not to mention putting long term goals ahead short term returns, by not accepting mass exoduses of party members from other parties (I sense to the disdain of certain opposition figures who view the WP as arrogant). But one only has to look back at history to understand why this is the right decision if we recall the impact the WP exodus of 1991 into the SDP has in the political dynamics of the latter, which played a part in the eventual falling out.

I tell you it was much of a rift between Chiam and Chee or Chiam wouldn't have bothered to sue Chee--and rightfully got back damages. Yes Chee may be a hero, but if a party that held such a strong majority bakc thne was reduced to nothing --tells you much about the leader and his leadership. JB yes a good man. Low yes (but not fiery). Chee, the worst of the lot.

Even so, I hope Slyvia takes more of a role than Low, giventhat she can talk. Low can connect but not debate. So if a shadow cabinet comes, I would like Slyvia to be the Shadow Leader.

NoNewsGood

Alfrescian
Loyal

Only minus 2 - Cheo and Ling. Chiam and Low retained their seats in the 1997 election.