• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Heard on radio Carrefour closing shop in S'pore, massive retrenchment

BuiKia

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I thought most of the workers there are pinoy and PRC? Then just let it go lah.

I still like wet market, the things are much cheaper and fresher than NTUC. If you ever observe, their own staff do not buy their seafood at all!

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I thought most of the workers there are pinoy and PRC? Then just let it go lah.

I still like wet market, the things are much cheaper and fresher than NTUC. If you ever observe, their own staff do not buy their seafood at all!

I think there is a large contingent of foreign workers in all the supermarket chains. Take the Cold Storage at King Albert Park, I noticed a lot of pinoys over there, I guess not only do they speak better english than their PRC counterparts but Bukit Timah is rich angmoh territory.

roadrunner

Alfrescian
Loyal
i always believe in competition becos you can chose the best price & best value, the main thing is you have a CHOICE even if you don't shop in Carrefour. without it the remaining few players in the business will have a greater control of the market & then everyone will have to buy at their price, got no choice. imagine there's only 1 supermarket chain & they dictate what you buy & at what price. now imagine GL only got 1 chicken house & 1 chicken got HIV..

Balancemind

Alfrescian
Loyal
....and NTUC went to shanghai opened shop, after 6 months quietly packed up and come home. Not a whisper in ShitTimes.

Aiyah, you don't know meh. Hokkien saying "Choo Lai [At home] tey yit. men kow[door entrance] tey chit [Number 7]. quo kow[outside] bo pit"
Prices at NTUC Fairprice is already Cold Storage standard. No wonder they pride themselves "Finest".

Last edited:

fukyuman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree here. Kopiuncle giving other uncles very bad name.

Kopiuncle,
Don't say i never respect old people, but looking at your recent posts, you are asking for it.
Although you are very peaceful and don't argue, but that does not guarantee you are shielded from insults.
So here i give you my piece:

DON'T BE FUCKING STUPID.

fukyuman

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am going to miss Carrefour Suntec for its ribeye steaks they put on sale now and then. Their bread used to be 2 for one after 9pm but no more. The sad signs are there. One outlet after another closing down in Malaysia. Parking is free for motorcyclists so a big plus.

I have to say I did not shop in Carrefour like more than 5 years already. The parking in both Suntec and Plaza SIng is a nightmare.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i agree Carrefour failed partly because they lack the reach.....the ex- GM used to be a Mat that i mentored as a youth.....

Was told by some people in the industry that Carrefour treats their staff badly. NTUC is well-known in talent spotting Carrefour's unhappy staff and making them offers to 'migrate' to NTUC.

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
of all the places, have a supermarket in suntec. no surprise carrflour collapses. the parking is horrendous! damned inconvenient. all traffic jams. huge complex a massive white elephant.so many things many irrelevant. fairprice will turn the place into the finest supermarket for sure!au revoir!!!

chilakak

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree with you LeMans. Only idiots will support a monopolistic or duopolistic situation. At least with the likes of Carrefour and the Dairy Farm Group around, it helps to keep the GLCs on their toes.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Carrefour to close shop by year end in SG!

SINGAPORE: Hypermarket chain Carrefour has announced that it plans to close both its local outlets -- at Suntec City Mall and Plaza Singapura -- by the end of this year.

In a press release dated Tuesday morning, the company said: "Carrefour Singapore announces the decision to close its Suntec and Plaza Singapura stores before end of 2012, since expansion and growth perspectives do not allow reaching a leadership position in the medium and long term."

The French company, which opened its first store in Singapore in 1997, had previously said in 2010 that it would leave Malaysian, Singaporean and Thai markets.

In November 2010, it sold its operations in Thailand -- where it had 42 stores including 34 hypermarkets -- to Thai chain Big C, for an enterprise value of 868 million euros (S$1.36 billion).

But in the same month, it put off plans of selling its stores in Singapore and Malaysia, saying it was confident of creating more value single-handedly in Malaysia and Singapore in the medium and long term, rather than by disposing of those properties.

Then-chief executive of the Carrefour group, Lars Olofsson, said at that point that the two countries would become more significant contributors to the company's overall business.

However, other reports claimed that Carrefour had cancelled plans to sell its Malaysian and Singaporean assets after the designed sale did not attract expected bids.

In 2009, Asia accounted for 7.9 per cent of Carrefour's sales of 85.9 billion euros. Carrefour's two outlets in Singapore contributed 85 million euros in revenue that year, according to its annual report.

Which supermarket is next to go??

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i actually love shopping at Carrefour in suntec, surprisingly total bill actually cheaper than NTUC. the roast chicken is nice. i will miss the place. :(

DoctorDrip

Alfrescian
Loyal
yaohan gone. soon cold storage will go down too - struggling to maintain the price and standards. will also follow yaohan....soon.

now we will only have fairprice and shamsiong to give us good and competitive prices for our necessities. good news indeed!

What happened with Yaohan had nothing to do with what happened in Singapore. It was about what happened in Japan. It used to be in Japan what NTUC FairPrice is in Singapore.

Cold Storage won't be going down as long as PAP is in power. It's the genesis of supermarkets in Singapore and look at the rolls of its directors and patrons.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The real problem is manpower. They hire too many locals n therefore can't compete.
Leongsam again slow to praise you. Me tonight quite free, help him a little. Here's from Leongsam.

"PAP needs more talents like you. Here's some reputation points for you. From Leongsam"

chilakak

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kanina,

Please tell us what is the percentage breakdown between local and foreign staff hired by Carrefour in Singapore.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Kanina,

Please tell us what is the percentage breakdown between local and foreign staff hired by Carrefour in Singapore.
Kanina got many rep points from Leongsam tonight. I help relay the message from Kanina.

"What do you think?"