• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

He calls father and uncle's solitary detention without trial "uncomfortable"

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
MP calls for safeguards against abuse of ISA
By S Ramesh | Posted: 18 October 2011 2004 hrs

phpg5cXBh.jpg

Dr Janil Puthucheary speaking in Parliament

SINGAPORE: Singapore's Internal Security Act (ISA) and its provisions came up for debate in Parliament on Tuesday.

The MP for Pasir Ris Punggol GRC, Dr Janil Puthucheary said while he felt it inappropriate to detain a citizen without trial, he is convinced by the hard logic that the safety and security of Singapore must be paramount. That's because there are threats that Singapore faces and which must be dealt with swiftly and decisively.

But he wants to know what safeguards are in place to prevent the ISA from being abused.

Dr Janil said: "I believe I share this view with many Singaporeans; we understand the need to ensure our security despite our misgivings, we recognise the cold hard facts despite the uncomfortable feeling they generate. However, we lack confidence and assurance that the extraordinary power of a State to detain its own citizens without trial will not be abused.

"The process of the safeguards around the ISA needs to be discussed in a more transparent manner, even as the facts associated with a given detainee need to be kept secret. We need to know that the review process works and operates independently of Cabinet. We need to see that the President exercises his authority on this issue."

Dr Janil asked if the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) will be introducing further measures to enhance these safeguards and to what extent can the decisions of Cabinet be challenged.

In his maiden speech, the first-term MP also spoke on behalf of single unwed parents who are not eligible for childcare leave and are not allowed to apply for HDB flats.

He put forth a suggestion to examine the effects of these schemes on the health, development and social mobility of the child.

"The issues I have brought up will not affect our GDP, they will not affect our foreign affairs, they will not affect the vast majority of Singaporeans directly. Nevertheless I urge that we re-examine these issues; how we deal with them reflects our aspirations for the type of society we want to become," said Dr Janil.

- CNA /ls

nin-nao-hiah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do not trust this doctor fellow! How do you trust someone who thinks the law that incarcerated his father is a fair one?
MP calls for safeguards against abuse of ISA
By S Ramesh | Posted: 18 October 2011 2004 hrs

phpg5cXBh.jpg

Dr Janil Puthucheary speaking in Parliament

SINGAPORE: Singapore's Internal Security Act (ISA) and its provisions came up for debate in Parliament on Tuesday.

The MP for Pasir Ris Punggol GRC, Dr Janil Puthucheary said while he felt it inappropriate to detain a citizen without trial, he is convinced by the hard logic that the safety and security of Singapore must be paramount. That's because there are threats that Singapore faces and which must be dealt with swiftly and decisively.

But he wants to know what safeguards are in place to prevent the ISA from being abused.

Dr Janil said: "I believe I share this view with many Singaporeans; we understand the need to ensure our security despite our misgivings, we recognise the cold hard facts despite the uncomfortable feeling they generate. However, we lack confidence and assurance that the extraordinary power of a State to detain its own citizens without trial will not be abused.

"The process of the safeguards around the ISA needs to be discussed in a more transparent manner, even as the facts associated with a given detainee need to be kept secret. We need to know that the review process works and operates independently of Cabinet. We need to see that the President exercises his authority on this issue."

Dr Janil asked if the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) will be introducing further measures to enhance these safeguards and to what extent can the decisions of Cabinet be challenged.

Why is he so wishy-washy about the ISA? Its either law or to be abolished as law. Why bother having it only to have safeguards in place? What abuse of law is he talking about? His own father was abused under this law & here he is talking about maintaining the same law & then having more safeguards in place to prevent abuse.

If I had a son who behaved & talked like this I would have disowned him.

In his maiden speech, the first-term MP also spoke on behalf of single unwed parents who are not eligible for childcare leave and are not allowed to apply for HDB flats.

He put forth a suggestion to examine the effects of these schemes on the health, development and social mobility of the child.

He is really out-of-touch with the ground. If he has children I don't think he is a good parent too, since he is unable to see the effects of single-parenting & a child having to grow up without a stable environment.

"The issues I have brought up will not affect our GDP, they will not affect our foreign affairs, they will not affect the vast majority of Singaporeans directly. Nevertheless I urge that we re-examine these issues; how we deal with them reflects our aspirations for the type of society we want to become," said Dr Janil.

Why talk about what these issues will not affect? How about emphasising the effects of such issues on the future generations of Singaporeans? Aren't they the most important?

I do not want him, nor do I want to see this kind of person, in my Parliament. Why are my fellow Singaporeans so dumb as to vote in this person who now supports the same law that saw his own father incarcerated? If he can turn his back on his own father, what makes you think he will not do the same to us?

- CNA /ls

Last edited:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Actually I read up more on Dominic Puthu and found out that he is no prize either.

Unlike his peers Said zahari, Dr Lim hock siew and Chia typo, Dominic's balls shrank after ops coldstore and now a self-proclaimed fanboy of LKY. From a safe distance in Mudlaysia of course....

Last edited:

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
He cannot tell the different between terrorist and Opposition and also cannot tell the diff between serve NS full time to saving children life in hospitals. Hospitals is not army barrack and rifle and bullet is not the same as check high blood pressure machine and panadol.

Actually I read up more on Dominic Puthu and found out that he is no prize either.

Unlike his peers Said zahari, Dr Lim hock siew and Chia typo, Dominic's balls shrank after ops coldstore and now a self-proclaimed fanboy of LKY. From a safe distance in Mudlaysia of course....