• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

granny, 96, killed by SBS bus for jay walking

†††††

Alfrescian
Loyal
Great-granny, 96, dies after being hit by bus

ST_IMAGES_ESBUS15.jpg

SHE was full of life, even at the age of 96.

Every week, Madam Goh Ah Eng, a great-grandmother, would take an hour to walk the 2km home from her local Buddhist temple.

Last Friday, she never made it back. Just 100m from the temple, she was hit by a bus at a pedestrian crossing. She died at the scene.

Madam Goh's family said she usually went to the Singapore Buddhist Lodge in River Valley on weekends. But she had specially gone there last Friday to offer prayers as it was the auspicious ninth day of the Chinese New Year.

The SBS Transit bus hit Madam Goh at the junction of Kim Yam Road and River Valley Road at about 5pm. She is survived by six sons, three daughters and about 30 grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Said her daughter-in-law, Madam Lim Siang Puay: "She was very active and healthy, with no health problems at all, apart from a little high blood pressure.

"When we saw the body, we were heartbroken. She loved to dress up in red and look pretty, yet she died in such a violent manner," she added in Mandarin.

Madam Goh lived with her youngest son and his family in a four-room flat in Waterloo Street. Her third son, who wanted to be known only as Mr Tan, said she had celebrated her 96th birthday last December at the Paramount Hotel.

"She loved life," he added. "She was always travelling with us to China - Shanghai, Beijing, her hometown in Putian - and even went to Australia last year. She would even dance with her grandchildren when they came over to visit her."

Just a week ago, Madam Goh had cooked a New Year feast at home for almost 80 family members.

"I really cannot believe or accept that she is gone just like that," said Madam Lim, 58.

Her family said that the 45-year-old driver had contacted them but would not be welcome if he turned up at the wake.

SBS said that it had managed to contact the family of Madam Goh only yesterday. Said Ms Tammy Tan, senior vice-president of corporate communications at SBS Transit: "We have visited the wake, and will do what we can to assist them in their time of need."

The police said the driver is assisting them with their investigations. Eyewitnesses should call 1800-547-1818.

ELIZABETH SOH

Balllessme

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sad... not easy to hit 96.... Think the whole family will be shattered....

Believe the guy/gal who knock her will feel guilty for life..
Even for jay walking, should driver be more cautious? Life....

RIP....

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sad... not easy to hit 96.... Think the whole family will be shattered....

Believe the guy/gal who knock her will feel guilty for life..
Even for jay walking, should driver be more cautious? Life....

RIP....

Not jaywalking, crossing a pedestrian crossing, wether the light in her favour didn't say....:p

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not jaywalking, crossing a pedestrian crossing, wether the light in her favour didn't say....:p

If didn't say, then she probably had the right of way:eek:

Am I being paranoid, cynical, suspicious... in my old age or simply understand how things work here ?

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
RIP Granny....

Zebra crossings and pedestrain crossings are the biggest traps here in Singapore...most of them are situated at corners....Better to look out for on coming traffic when you are crossing...don't be busy talking on your mobile or sms or talking to your friends...those zebra stripes can kill you!!!!

and many drivers, esp the FT ones, are "blind" to the stripes on the road!!!!...better stop look and see before you cross....singapore is getting very hazardous everywhere...esp on the roads....you see some of the FTs driving trucks and lorries...you get damned scared!!!!

of course not all FT drivers are like that lah...even Singaporean drivers can be bad too...not that I'm saying bad about our FTs...we must welcome them...we must make them feel at home...we need them for growth....and if we don't welcome them , our growth will fall...and we ourselves become retarded. you believe or not? FTs for our own good...GST for our own good...tiohboh???

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If didn't say, then she probably had the right of way:eek:

Am I being paranoid, cynical, suspicious... in my old age or simply understand how things work here ?

If you do a google map, street view, one can see the particular junction in question. I do not frequent RV road that often, I have pass many times that particular junction.

I think the pedestrians light were in granny favour, and as usual either the BUS CAPTAIN ( last time driver), always in a hurry or driving slower than a tortoise ( Marcch Hare excluded)...:wink:

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there must be a law that jay walker must compensate the car damage, instead of the other way round.

there are bridges and traffic light everywhere, if they want to endanger their life, it is their fault.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
I jay walk all the time. Why am I still alive? Those who jay walk while placing absolute faith in the benevolence of drivers is asking for trouble. Just like the 66.6% brainwashed sheep who believe that the PAPpies are selfless servants working doggedly for the public good. We have only one relation to each other: that of utility. Every human behaviour and action can be reduced to egoism.

What is good? All that heightens the feeling of power in man, the will to power, power itself. What is bad? All that is born of weakness. What is happiness? The feeling that power is growing, that resistance is overcome.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
>> But she had specially gone there last Friday to offer prayers as it was the auspicious ninth day of the Chinese New Year.<<

Irony isn't it? It was supposed to be an auspicious day!

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
>> But she had specially gone there last Friday to offer prayers as it was the auspicious ninth day of the Chinese New Year.<<

Irony isn't it? It was supposed to be an auspicious day!

Another chinese myth bites the dust. :rolleyes:

Balllessme

Alfrescian
Loyal
there must be a law that jay walker must compensate the car damage, instead of the other way round.

there are bridges and traffic light everywhere, if they want to endanger their life, it is their fault.

Yes, u r right to say that there is bridges and traffic light.. But sometime, try asking the old folk to walk 100 metres and climb the bridge is quite tedious. No deny that they are in fault, but the fault should not be such a terrible one.
All fated. Some people have smoking for years and no health issue but some non-smokers can die younger with lung cancer.... RIP granny:(

Balllessme

Alfrescian
Loyal
I jay walk all the time. Why am I still alive? Those who jay walk while placing absolute faith in the benevolence of drivers is asking for trouble. Just like the 66.6% brainwashed sheep who believe that the PAPpies are selfless servants working doggedly for the public good. We have only one relation to each other: that of utility. Every human behaviour and action can be reduced to egoism.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Hi mate... you cant compare to that granny who is 96 years old... is like comparing LKY agst Carl Lewis competing in a 100 Metres dash... who will win? U are still alive bcos you are sharper .... reflex better... but then again, why she is alone on that day... RIP Granny:(

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
She should be accompanied and not be allowed to be alone in the streets. Imagine she is already 96 years old, where many cannot even pass 80 years before dying of some causes. If she had not been killed, she might reach past 110 who knows?

Hi mate... you cant compare to that granny who is 96 years old... is like comparing LKY agst Carl Lewis competing in a 100 Metres dash... who will win? U are still alive bcos you are sharper .... reflex better... but then again, why she is alone on that day... RIP Granny:(

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal

There's a reason why humans are the most successful species in the world. No, it's not because we are sharper than most. Nor has it got to do with reflexes. The sole reason for our success is our intelligence. How difficult is it to look around for incoming vehicles and gauge their travelling speed? How difficult is it to get someone fitter and younger to accompany you? :rolleyes: