• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

GRACE-less FU And Her Masters MUST APOLOGISE For This!! Shameful As Usual.

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good ST Artitcle(s)

PAP through the lens of a young S'porean

AS A young Singaporean, I am disturbed by Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew's remarks that my generation has forgotten the struggles of our past ('MM: Past struggles forgotten by young'; yesterday).

Scarcely a day goes by when I do not hear a positive remark about our city from my foreign friends, and I constantly marvel at what we have achieved as a nation when I compare Singapore to the cities I have visited.

Older Singaporeans are quick to tell me how much we owe our Government, and I do not disagree. MM Lee should rest easy; the younger generation remembers. Government media and education campaigns remind us how far we have come. I know we have the People Action Party's (PAP) old guard to thank for it: They slogged through the hardest times and we, and the third-generation PAP leaders, enjoy the fruits of their labour.

But we do not owe the PAP a living. The party has performed and we are thankful. But the PAP must constantly prove itself worthy of the task.

The PAP is not on auto-pilot and cannot keep doing more of the same and expect our support. It must increase its skills and capabilities, and the party has yet to convince us that it is the only pilot who can see us through a storm. The PAP has failed to make itself fully relevant to my generation.

Its communication is high-handed and old-fashioned; its policies pursue economic growth that was vital in the past, but fail to adequately address today's socio-cultural issues.

The party's rhetoric is staid and uncomfortable and does not speak to the hearts of my peers.

Instead of ushering Singapore into a new era with the stability and strength that only the PAP can provide, the party has chosen to foist its brand of old-world 'stability' and 'strength' upon us. rom whence we came' is not where we want to go.

Insurance body criticises Grace Fu's analogy

WE ARE disturbed by Senior Minister of State (Education and National Development) Grace Fu's comments during a rally speech at the Jurong East Stadium, in which she likened opposition parties to insurance agents who show up once every five years ('Opposition rapped for likening politics to soccer'; last Tuesday).

Her statement stereotypes insurance practitioners as superficial salespeople with short-term financial motives.

The Insurance and Financial Practitioners Association of Singapore (Ifpas) represents some 4,000 practitioners of life insurance and financial services. We reinforce the fact that as licensees of the Financial Advisers Act under the Monetary Authority of Singapore, insurance practitioners here, who include Ifpas members, adhere to a strict set of professional regulations and guidelines in the conduct of our business.

It is unfortunate that the analogy of a respectable minister has compromised a profession upheld by 13,000 Singaporeans, holding a stake in the country's growth and development.

Much as we all know that black sheep exist in the midst of our members, we need to reiterate that there are professionals who disburse good advice, and clients who work with such members have benefited from the services provided.

In the light of the above, we hope Singaporeans who attended the rally or read the report will not have a tainted view of the insurance industry because of Ms Fu's disparaging remarks.

Tommy Wee
President
Insurance and Financial Practitioners Association of Singapore (Ilike it that he is writing on behalf of insurance agents)​

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">