• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Government scholar who broke bond dishes out dirt on the public service

Johnrambo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Long story short, I pursued a scholarship because I once believed it was the best way to contribute to the common good. Totally bought into the sales pitch about serving the nation. Also, my parents couldn't afford to send me to university, so why not since my grades made the cut.

But boy was I so wrong. I broke the bond eventually after being harassed for basically having opinions… lengthy rant ahead, be warned.

Halfway through my studies, I realised something was severely wrong with the scholarship system. More than a handful of my peers on the programme were actually from wealthy families – from being able to afford an apartment in London, to flying home on business class. I remember once at the Singapore Seminar, a round table discussion where they flew in scholars and PS/DS/some official people to discuss issues surrounding Singapore in London. One fellow asked: “how do we solve the problem of lowly educated men not getting married and educated women not getting married?”. To which the answer from the speaker I can never forget, was “As everything we do in Singapore, low end import and high end export”.

Listed herein are the toxic bits about Singapore's supposedly pristine government scholar system:

Bad-egg scholars spoil it for all

Not all scholars are bad eggs and arrogant. But the ones who are, they truly spoil it for everyone else, therefore causing our asses to be hated by fellow Singaporeans for no reason sometimes. My former manager was a scholar himself and he basically showed disdain for almost everyone under him. His treatment of foreign workers was abhorrent. One time I recalled him yelling “GRAB ME THAT BANGLA!”, demanded that they sweep rocks (yes, I wonder if scholars have ever set foot in construction sites) and forbade them from drinking from water coolers. Step on his tail (sometimes in a completely non-work related way), and you might find yourself being threatened with a poor year-end appraisal. On the contrary, if you are the manager’s favourite, you could wiggle your way out of any shitstorm without so much as suffering a scratch. And as I obviously wasn't (or perhaps I was deemed just average in terms of personal ability, oh well I could accept that), I was criticised constantly for my “happy go lucky” attitude and for “smiling too much”…… gradually I fell into a pattern of fear of just being myself. The manager himself had apparently gotten 4 serious prior complaints, but HR decided to overlook them all altogether because he was our director's favourite. This brings me to the next point:

Directors are unfire-able Gods

Unless they commit a legitimate crime, they cannot be removed. Where I was, we had directors who felt the need to scold people at every meeting, put them down, belittle whoever they perceived as lesser mortals. Some can't stop commenting on women’s physical appearances, while others love to text at ungodly hours, say past midnight. An internal survey actually showed that about 10% of folks working at various public service agencies experience at least some form of harassment, however nothing is being done about it. Because, because … them directors are pretty chummy with one another! Who can you complain to, if HR is only going to side with all of management? This made me really upset when I thought that HR was supposed to watch over us employees. Often those who had it the worst are the “lower ranked” employees – because the organisation perceived them as expendable. Yet these are the people who were most intimately acquainted with the day in, day out operational requirements. During the COVID-19 pandemic, we saw that we could fire the technicians, but not the directors. Whenever I attempted to advocate for the little man, I got treated like I purposely chose to be on the wrong side of the battle. As though I picked the worker’s side instead of the correct “scholar's side”.

Culture of silence

Honestly, scholars, you know when others like yourself are acting unreasonably, or being a complete jerkball. But you don’t speak up. You never call out the bosses, or even your own compadres….because you hope that one day when you make director, you will have their full support. Behind their backs though you would speak bad of one or the other, but where it matters – when they are unjustly picking on their men, when they are harassing others, you remain silent. You know deep down the scholarship system is unfair, it rewards those rare few who hail from truly privileged backgrounds. Then again, no one wishes to speak up, because why would anyone be "foolish" enough to bite the hand that feeds us?
You also know when scholars are being overworked or made to perform genuinely wretched tasks no one else wants to. Yet when you become the boss, you choose to inflict the same misery on your subordinates.​

A lot more at https://www.domainofexperts.com/2022/04/government-scholar-who-broke-bond.html

Last edited:

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
95% of the scholars are a bunch of useless morons. Only good academically. Low or zero IQ and EQ. SAF has many of these assholes. Ask these idiots to start a business and make it a success within 3 years. How many can actually do it?

CharKuayTeow

Alfrescian
Loyal
95% of the scholars are a bunch of useless morons. Only good academically. Low or zero IQ and EQ. SAF has many of these assholes. Ask these idiots to start a business and make it a success within 3 years. How many can actually do it?
None. In a prior life, decades ago. I had been tasked with looking for an Asian HQ location for the company I was with. Contacted EDB guy in the local Singapore embassy, because after doing my analysis, I thought Singapore was a good location. His ability to understand our needs were essentially zero, his responses limited to what he had in his PPT slides. He didn’t know anything about business or corporate needs. We passed.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
None. In a prior life, decades ago. I had been tasked with looking for an Asian HQ location for the company I was with. Contacted EDB guy in the local Singapore embassy, because after doing my analysis, I thought Singapore was a good location. His ability to understand our needs were essentially zero, his responses limited to what he had in his PPT slides. He didn’t know anything about business or corporate needs. We passed.
Where did they end up eventually.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
The most useless lot that I had encountered in the civil service are the fucktards who are in HR. Useless morons headed by 1 or 2 big heads. The rest below them don't even dare to ask questions!

mahjongking

Alfrescian
Loyal

thats why peesai is in the state it is in now,
fucking bookworms who only care about their own asses in control, streetwise foreigners coming in to replace, scam and bully locals since the 90s

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
That means he can't meet your whims and fancy. If you can't do business here,

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sounds like a jealous farmer talking shit about his betters. Think there are so many potty mouth fallen scholars? :rolleyes:

Willamshakespear

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is sad that he broke his bond n gave up. Perhaps he is not of the quality that Spore needs.

Our founding fathers faced FAR worse then he did - supremacists from both msia fed n brits, obnoxious, moronic, ignorant n even threats from their intel agencies, but our founding fathers never gave up in their common cause of good for us n even Humanity.

Even when they failed n given lemons instead, some cried, but the rest simply rolled up their sleeves n thru sheer hardwork, courage n intelligence, created a lemonade that became an envy of struggling nations.

The young n inexperienced must have patience n know what they are up againts-senior s whom do not suffer fools gladly as there are so much, so much n little time to do to be wasted.

Even if the young is right but went on offensive dialogue, the other side will go on defensive n with their clout n experiences, who will win?

Thus keep cool, hv patience, gather like minded, correct errors from all angles, then find a good time to gently present the issues n facts patiently. It will be worth it so long as the cause is for common good n SUSTAINABLE.

Byebye Penis

Alfrescian
Loyal
A lot of local scholars cannot adapt to the real world; they are unable to deliver results in a dynamic environment and good at blaming others.

All these years, PSC is very successful at identifying these folks and keep them in civil and uniform service.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A lot of local scholars cannot adapt to the real world; they are unable to deliver results in a dynamic environment and good at blaming others.

All these years, PSC is very successful at identifying these folks and keep them in civil and uniform service.
it has to do with the organization and the folks they work with. their superiors, mentors, and co-workers have to help develop the culture and environment that they work in. it starts with the top. cannot rely on hr. the ceo or md has to set the mission, objectives, integrity goals, code of conduct, and direct hr to train and achieve the outcum. if hr cannot deliver nor produce, hire the next vp of hr. and each department and leader have to offer their personnel rewarding career opportunities, professional training, coaching, advancement in learning and job development. the more they interact with the outside world, market, customers, suppliers, and the competitive environment the better.

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fucking PAP and their rubbish scholar system.. Ultimate waste of public funds producing idiots like Chan CS, Heng SK, Ong.YK

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Civil servants got pension. I think this benefit alone is equivalent to 20-30% of typical salary.
Then there is free medical no? Plus housing benefits.

micromachine

Lieutenant General
Loyal
0.00000000001%

Johnrambo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ng Yat Chung counted as "successful" biz man anot? Everywhere he go the company will kenna sold off :P

Datingafter35

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is sad that he broke his bond n gave up. Perhaps he is not of the quality that Spore needs.

Our founding fathers faced FAR worse then he did - supremacists from both msia fed n brits, obnoxious, moronic, ignorant n even threats from their intel agencies, but our founding fathers never gave up in their common cause of good for us n even Humanity.

Even when they failed n given lemons instead, some cried, but the rest simply rolled up their sleeves n thru sheer hardwork, courage n intelligence, created a lemonade that became an envy of struggling nations.

The young n inexperienced must have patience n know what they are up againts-senior s whom do not suffer fools gladly as there are so much, so much n little time to do to be wasted.

Even if the young is right but went on offensive dialogue, the other side will go on defensive n with their clout n experiences, who will win?

Thus keep cool, hv patience, gather like minded, correct errors from all angles, then find a good time to gently present the issues n facts patiently. It will be worth it so long as the cause is for common good n SUSTAINABLE.

He did mentioned he can't refut or rebute. Why is new?

Byebye Penis

Alfrescian
Loyal
it has to do with the organization and the folks they work with. their superiors, mentors, and co-workers have to help develop the culture and environment that they work in. it starts with the top. cannot rely on hr. the ceo or md has to set the mission, objectives, integrity goals, code of conduct, and direct hr to train and achieve the outcum. if hr cannot deliver nor produce, hire the next vp of hr. and each department and leader have to offer their personnel rewarding career opportunities, professional training, coaching, advancement in learning and job development. the more they interact with the outside world, market, customers, suppliers, and the competitive environment the better.
Public service will never improve when they kept absorbing the SAF regulars. All don't know the work of their organisation and just busy playing golf and finding mistresses.

Then uniform service will never be serious when the regulars are always thinking about their civilian postings after 45.