• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Google lays off staff in Singapore; employees say about 190 people affected

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal

Google lays off staff in Singapore; employees say about 190 people affected​

Google lays off staff in Singapore; employees say about 190 people affected

The lobby of Google's Asia Pacific headquarters in Singapore at Mapletree Business City. (Photo: CNA/Gaya Chandramohan)

Abigail Ng
17 Feb 2023 08:42PM (Updated: 17 Feb 2023 08:48PM)

SINGAPORE: An estimated 190 employees from Google's Asia-Pacific headquarters in Singapore were laid off on Thursday (Feb 16) night, three sources told CNA on Friday.

That accounts for about 5.5 per cent to 6 per cent of Google's workforce in Singapore, they said.

One of the sources, an employee who was affected by the layoffs, said: "Hard to confirm exact numbers. It's hard to figure (out) who's been affected.

"Folks are trying to piece it together by talking to others."

The two other sources are a current employee and Mr Christopher Fong, who founded the global Xoogler community for former Google workers.

A spokesperson for Google said it was "unable to share" the number of employees in Singapore who were affected by the layoffs, but confirmed they were part of job cuts earlier announced by Google's parent company Alphabet.

Last month, Alphabet said it was cutting 12,000 jobs, about 6 per cent of its workforce.

Mr Fong told CNA that the layoffs hit people from various departments including sales, Google Cloud, Google Pay, recruiting, finance and legal.

He added that Xoogler is holding a gathering on Friday evening for those who were affected by the layoffs. About 50 people in Singapore registered for the gathering.

Some people expected to be laid off because their counterpart teams in other parts of the world were affected, he said.

The community had 14,800 members before the global layoffs were announced, and that figure has since grown to 26,000, said Mr Fong. He added that more programmes are being organised to help those affected.

"THE PEOPLE WERE THE BEST PART OF GOOGLE"

Qierra C, who was part of the recruiting department, said she was among those affected by the layoffs in Singapore. She thanked the "amazing team" that she worked with.

"The people were the best part of Google," she wrote.

Can Köklü, whose profile states he was a customer engineer in the Google Cloud team, also wrote on LinkedIn that he was laid off after being at the company for seven years.

Related:

The Alphabet Workers Union said his words were of little comfort.

"It's appalling that our jobs are first on the chopping block so shareholders can see a few more points in a chart next quarter," it added.

The redundancies at Google come on the back of thousands of layoffs at other tech giants that are downsizing after a pandemic-led hiring spree left them flabby in a weak economy.

Manpower Minister Tan See Leng said in Parliament last November that 1,270 local workers in the tech sector were retrenched between July to mid-November 2022. Twitter, Facebook parent Meta and Shopee retrenched employees in Singapore last year.

In his post, he said his colleagues were the "true value" of working at Google, describing them as talented, knowledgeable, kind and supportive.

"It's not easy to say goodbye to an incredible community, but I am so grateful for the experiences and memories I've had here," he wrote.
He also addressed people who were laid off by Google, writing that the layoff is not a reflection of their value.

Another Google employee Toby Hull wrote that he had just moved to Singapore and signed a long lease on an "overpriced apartment".

He said he received an email on Thursday night that said his role "no longer exists".

"So in all honesty this is tough, I loved the team, I loved what we were doing and I loved where we were going," wrote Mr Hull, who was a manager at YouTube partner experiences, according to his LinkedIn profile.

"I am not bitter, it was an awesome opportunity and one that I will cherish," he said.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/google-layoffs-singapore-office-alphabet-3285876

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP knows how many and whether they are Sinkies or their favourite CECAkroaches ahead of time.
The fact that they are silent likely means that sinkies are more disproportionately affected.
To the sinkies retrenched, my congratulations.
You voted for it.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What happened to our labour union?
too busy opening supermarkets and hawker /food courts ?

Eisenhut

Alfrescian
Loyal
Names of google employees Qierra C,Toby Hul,Can Köklü .....i wonder how many Singaporeans Google employ. .

No tinge of sympathy from me.

Patriotmissile

Alfrescian
Loyal
These free riders after so many years sitting in bus finally need to wake up and alight. Many cannot believe it and still holding on to their glorious past and pass.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sound very entitled. Don't they have skills and talents sinkies not have? Surely there must be many companies competing to get them on board. Why not move on gracefully in stead? :o-o:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
google sexpat package used to be very generous. it’s a dream cum true for many googlers in mv to be rewarded a stint in sg. many months of housing sexpenses, travel allowance, relocation sexpenses, and other benefits and privileges paid by google. and then when sexpats settle down with ltv after the 1st year company still pay them equal or better renumeration compared to sillycon valley plus stock options. still denominated in usd and has to file incum tax with irs minus the $120k sexemption (feie for 2023). usd$120k is a huge sexemption considering most sexpat googlers are paid over usd$200k per year. it essentially halves the taxable total.

Last edited: