• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Gone case one more RIM Blackberry soon bite the dust CEOs quitted

Buayak_sg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Obama's favourite IT toy Blackberry phone will be gone soon.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...kely-to-halt-market-share-slide-analysts.html

RIM’s New CEO Unlikely to Halt Slide: Analysts

By Olga Kharif and Hugo Miller - Tue Jan 24 15:21:01 GMT 2012
Enlarge image Research in Motion Blackberry

Blackberry phones at a shoping mall in Jakarta. Photographer: Bagus Indahono/EPA/Landov
Research In Motion CEO Heins on Outlook for Company

Play Video

Jan. 23 (Bloomberg) -- Thorsten Heins, Research In Motion Ltd.'s new chief executive officer, talks about the outlook for the company. Heins also discusses the company's search for a new head of marketing. He speaks with Jon Erlichman on Bloomberg Television's "Bloomberg West." Bloomberg's Emily Chang also speaks. (Source: Bloomberg)
Enlarge image RIM Blackberry

Blackberry usersin Jakarta. Photographer: Jefri Aries/ZUMApress.com

Research In Motion Ltd. (RIM) fell again after investors and analysts speculated that new Chief Executive Officer Thorsten Heins may be unable to alter the BlackBerry maker’s course enough to stem market-share losses.

Heins, 54, was promoted from chief operating officer of the Waterloo, Ontario-based company on Jan. 22, replacing Co-CEOs Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis. RIM slid 5 percent to $14.78 at 10:20 a.m. in New York, after falling 8.5 percent yesterday. The shares had dropped 75 percent in the 12 months before today.

“There was enormous pressure for the company to make a change, and Jim and Mike wanted to make as little change as possible,” Charlie Wolf, a Needham & Co. analyst, said in an interview yesterday. “To me, this change looks largely cosmetic.”

Balsillie and Lazaridis have come under criticism as Apple Inc. (AAPL) and Google Inc. (GOOG) have pulled ahead in U.S. smartphone sales, a market RIM once dominated. In the three months ended in November, RIM’s share fell to 16.6 percent while devices using Google’s Android operating system rose to 46.9 percent and Apple increased to 28.7 percent, according to ComScore Inc.

RIM’s revenue declined in last year’s second and third quarters, while net income dropped in each of the first three periods. The company is expected to report decreases for both for the final three months, according to analysts’ estimates compiled by Bloomberg.

Heins, who came to the company in 2007 after more than 20 years at Siemens AG, told investors on a conference call yesterday that he doesn’t see a need for “drastic change.”

“Jim and Mike’s strategy of not sacrificing long-term value for short-term gain is the right one,” Heins said. “I share that value.”
‘Same Cloth’

Lazaridis and Balsillie, while giving up their posts as co- chairmen, remain on the board. As directors, they will continue to heavily influence Heins’s decisions, Wolf said.

“He’s cut from the same cloth as the co-CEOs,” Mike Abramsky, an analyst at RBC Capital Markets in Toronto, said in an interview. “The visibility for the stock remains very low.” He rates the shares “sector perform.”

Historically, only an appointment of an outsider has helped companies recover, Edward Snyder, an analyst at Charter Equity Research, said in a note to investors.

“There has never been a successful turnaround of a handset OEM without a wholesale change in management,” said Snyder, referring to original equipment manufacturers.
Turnarounds Take Years

Just three of seven turnaround attempts by phone makers since 1997 have succeeded, and none took fewer than three years from the naming of a new CEO, said Snyder, who is based in San Francisco.

“Consequently, even if Heins is free to pursue a new strategy, we can’t expect a sustained, material improvement in RIM results for many quarters,” he said.

The pressure for a turnaround and the continued decline in the share price may still result in RIM being acquired and a short tenure for Heins as CEO, said Marty Wolf, president of Martin Wolf LLC, a mergers-and-acquisitions advisory firm in San Ramon, California.

“People are voting with their feet,” he said in an interview. “It’s clear to me the company can’t stay independent. The longer the new CEO operates the business with the current mandate, the more value he will destroy.”

To contact the reporters on this story: Olga Kharif in Portland, Oregon, at [email protected]; Hugo Miller in Toronto at [email protected]

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Tom Giles at [email protected]

Buayak_sg

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomtaulli/2012/01/24/can-rim-be-saved/

forbes_logo_main.gif

Can RIM Be Saved?

RIM.png

When Research In Motion’s (NASDAQ:RIMM) new CEO Thorsten Heins said, “I don’t think that there is a drastic change needed,” I nearly fell out of my chair. Doesn’t he realize that Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) and Google (NASDAQ:GOOG) play for keeps? And what about the other companies that have continued to flop in the mobile space, like Dell (NASDAQ:biggrin:ELL) and Hewlett-Packard (NYSE:HPQ)?

Immediately, I thought Thorsten’s quote sounded like something the captain of the Titanic would say.

Despite all this, is there still hope for RIM? I don’t think so, but here’s some observations from the corner offices around the tech industry.

Justin Moore, the CEO of Axcient: “Apple has a five-year head start on RIM, a better user experience and an extremely robust developer and app ecosystem. Android adoption is growing at an incredible rate as third-party phone manufacturers leverage the Android OS to offer affordable and feature-rich touch phones to the broader market. BlackBerry has been ceding smartphone market share in the U.S. for several years, and according to analysts, BlackBerry has gone from 44% market share in 2009 to 10% market share in 2011.

“I just don’t see how RIM rights the ship unless they can offer developers and users a radically improved experience and new and differentiated capabilities. RIM seems to be hanging its hat on better multitasking than IOS and Android, but let’s face it, multitasking is not a big enough deal and it reduces battery life. RIM also claims that Android apps will work on BlackBerry 10 as a defense to how they will deal with the developer ecosystem issue, but it’s still going to require customization for apps to work on BlackBerry devices. Finally, RIM has already released a BlackBerry 10 device — it was called the PlayBook tablet, and it was so wildly unsuccessful that RIM wrote down nearly $500M in inventory as a result.”

Tien Tzuo, the CEO of Zuora: “I think the claims of RIM’s death have been greatly exaggerated. Apple itself came back from the dead; why can’t RIM? It has a loyal following. And technology changes so fast. They should retrench, get back to what made them great, look out two to three years and plan their comeback — instead of listening to all this crazy press. That’s what Jobs would do.”

Paul Pluschkell, CEO of Spigit: “RIM won almost the entire enterprise market and then lost it by missing out on the fact that technology in the home would quickly surpass that of the enterprise. The days of proprietary servers and outdated hardware are gone forever. Consumers are driving technology buying decisions — not enterprises. We no longer hope that an employer buys us a smartphone. We choose the best device to meet our needs, as mobile has become such an important part of our lives.”

Dave Rennyson, CEO of Angel, Inc.: “RIM is a company that can definitely be saved, but its success will heavily rely on leadership vision and product innovation. Heins needs to let go of what hasn’t worked, inject a creative voice into the company and set a bold direction. RIM has also failed to release a product that has truly excited consumers or be even remotely in tune with creating an enjoyable customer experience — an area where its competitors have a clear advantage.”

Alex Kazerani, CEO, EdgeCast: “If Mr. Heins wants to re-establish RIM as the dominant smartphone platform for the enterprise, he might take a page from the Steve Jobs playbook and focus on doing a few things exceptionally well and with elegance.”

Tom Taulli runs the InvestorPlace blog IPOPlaybook, a site dedicated to the hottest news and rumors about initial public offerings. He also is the author of “The Complete M&A Handbook,” “All About Short Selling”and“All About Commodities.” Follow him on Twitter at @ttaulli.

Buayak_sg

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatsp...dying-on-the-vine-but-rimm-stock-worth-16-50/

Blackberry Dying On The Vine But RIMM Stock Worth $16.50
Trefis Team Trefis Team, Contributor

Image representing Research In Motion as depic...

Image via CrunchBase

We had long been expecting a leadership shakeup at Research in Motion. It finally happened last Sunday when the company announced the replacement of its co-chief executive officers, Jim Balsillie and Mike Lazaridis, with Thorsten Heins as the president and CEO. [1]

The shakeup is not surprising as the company continues to struggle against Apple and Google’s Android ecosystem in the smartphone and tablet market.

RIM’s share price has plummeted to eight-year lows, and the company’s turnaround will be a huge challenge in front of Heins.

Our $16.50 price estimate for RIM stock is about 3% below market price.

See our complete analysis of RIM here

Pressure on management had grown

RIM’s investors were left frustrated by the company’s performance over the last year. The management’s unwillingness to budge exacerbated this problem for investors. RIM reportedly even turned down takeover offers from Amazon and other potential buyers with management opting to fix problems on its own (see RIM’s Takeover Talks Grow Stronger as Amazon, Microsoft Take Closer Look). The company was criticized for a lack of innovation that is much needed to survive in the fast changing mobile world.

Challenge remains in front of new leaders

It will be a huge challenge for Heins to turn the company around and stop the slide in market share. In December last year, RIM announced that the first BlackBerrys based on the new system called BB10, won’t be available until late 2012. This announcement did not go well with investors hoping for a quick turnaround. The company also suffered a nine-month delay in getting e-mail onto the PlayBook tablet. Although PlayBook OS 2.0 software update had some important features, we believe these features should have been present in the first place (see RIM Playbook OS 2.0 Still No Game Changer).

Understand How a Company’s Products Impact its Stock Price at Trefis

Notes:

RIM’s Press Release, January 22nd, 2012 [↩]

Like our charts? Embed them in your own posts using the Trefis WordPress Plugin.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
RIM may be bought by Microsoft. Then Microsoft buys Nokia.

These three losers in the smartphone industry will surely find comfort in each other's embrace.

matamafia

Alfrescian
Loyal
RIM may be bought by Microsoft. Then Microsoft buys Nokia.

These three losers in the smartphone industry will surely find comfort in each other's embrace.

MS = Karanguni Center = failure hub like SG.

Hi-Tech Junk yard. Graveyard to be truth.

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
MS = Karanguni Center = failure hub like SG.

Hi-Tech Junk yard. Graveyard to be truth.

Ever since Microsoft acquired Skype, that VoIP software has turned to shit.

Wait for Windows 8, to be released in the 2nd half of 2012. It will be such an epic fail that even Windows Vista and Windows Me will seem successful in comparison.

Last edited:

Yoshitei

Alfrescian
Loyal
Had a bad experience with them recently.

Had my device replaced by SingTel with a "new" device which from my observations is more of a recondition unit still bearing scratches from the previous owner.

Wasn't able to integrate the device with my organisation's Outlook Web Access after the replacement, SingTel pushed the buck to Blackberry and they pushed the back to my company's email server and firewall refusing to investigate further until I could provide event logs from both the email server and firewall.

As there're over 1000 Blackberry users on my company's infrastructure and there've been no change requests for a while, I was very adamant it was a device issue and kept tinkering with the device until it brought me to the page where I could key in the configuration details for my OWA. During the whole fiasco, although there were promises of call back from Blackberry, I received nothing but emails insisting it was either a user issue or an issue with my company's infrastructure and when it was resolved, they had the cheek to indicate in an email that they recommended resolution.

And all this while, I was asking for them to call me, never once did I receive a call.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
someone told me BB will always have a niche due to their unique encrypted email....i am no techie.....anyways i am iphone user