• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Goh Meng Seng's facebook response is overly-defensive

Royal Canin Feline 32

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am responding to Mr Goh Meng Seng's facebook message to Andrew Loh, editor of TOC.

Andrew Loh had written a facebook message expressing his appreciation for SDP in helping to campaign against the mandatory death penalty over the years. Those who are "friends" with Andrew Loh can access his article over here: http://www.facebook.com/yoursdp#!/notes/andrew-loh/paying-tribute-to-the-sdp/472192425459

Andrew's article prompted a response from Goh Meng Seng, which I found to be overly-defensive, which in my opinion was not warranted.

Goh Meng Seng wrote that

@Andrew, kudos to you for all the passion and energy in taking up this course.

However, I think it is a bit off to say that all other opposition parties do not care. As far as I could remember, WP has stated in their manifesto that they are against Mandatory Death Penalty. Individual politicians such as KJ and I were against Death Penalty as well, though we may not be seen as actively campaigning against it, we will and have done our little part whenever opportunity arises to explain the fine technicalities of Mandatory sentencing to others.

Having said that, I guess for political parties like RP and NSP, our primary objective is to raise issues with wider and more obvious impact on the voters. There are many priorities to take care of for political parties, unlike NGOs or social activists who could concentrate on a single or just a couple of issues. However, that doesn't mean that we have forgotten the principles of fair justice. I believe that many of us will raise hard questions on the Mandatory nature of sentencing in parliament if the opportunity arises.

My response to Goh Meng Seng:

We are all sensible people who understand that with limited resources, opposition parties like NSP and RP cannot campaign or even comment on every issue.

But what Andrew Loh said is fair. Apart from having a few lines in their manifesto against MDP, what has WP done? Has WP ever come out to say even a few words? What has RP commented so far, apart from showing up at the speaker's corner?

But don't be mistaken: I am not accusing oppo parties of doing too little, and I'm sure it is not Andrew's intention to do that. All Andrew has said is that SDP has done more than others, and as such, is worthy of his thanks and appreciation.

Also, why is GMS commenting on behalf of RP? Shouldn't that be left to Kenneth Jeyaretnam? Why is GMS also being overly-defensive on behalf on WP? Can't WP supporters on facebook weigh in on the issue?

GMS should focus on NSP and his party's stand. His FB message come across as being overly-defensive. This suggests that he has taken Andrew's message too seriously and feels the need to argue that other parties are also against MDP.

That to me is unwarranted.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I am responding to Mr Goh Meng Seng's facebook message to Andrew Loh, editor of TOC.

My response to Goh Meng Seng:

We are all sensible people who understand that with limited resources, opposition parties like NSP and RP cannot campaign or even comment on every issue.

But what Andrew Loh said is fair. Apart from having a few lines in their manifesto against MDP, what has WP done? Has WP ever come out to say even a few words? What has RP commented so far, apart from showing up at the speaker's corner?

But don't be mistaken: I am not accusing oppo parties of doing too little, and I'm sure it is not Andrew's intention to do that. All Andrew has said is that SDP has done more than others, and as such, is worthy of his thanks and appreciation.

Also, why is GMS commenting on behalf of RP? Shouldn't that be left to Kenneth Jeyaretnam? Why is GMS also being overly-defensive on behalf on WP? Can't WP supporters on facebook weigh in on the issue?

GMS should focus on NSP and his party's stand. His FB message come across as being overly-defensive. This suggests that he has taken Andrew's message too seriously and feels the need to argue that other parties are also against MDP.

That to me is unwarranted.

I have no problem of people thanking SDP for what they have done. But to say that other opposition parties are not doing similar things is really off the track.

Different parties have different strategies, priorities and tactic. What I am saying is that Andrew is making the assumption that all opposition parties should be doing what NGOs and social activists are doing, just like what SDP did. I do not agree with that.

I think you have to read the context of my reply properly.

I believe you are an activist yourself and you would know what it takes to be social activists. The cost and the resources needed to be one. I am being very frank with everyone there and here, opposition parties are still at its infancy. With no paid staffs, no resources, to act like NGO as well as political parties, that is really unrealistic.

And I do not believe political parties should behave like social activists or act like NGO. Political parties are not defined by single cause while NGOs can be defined by a single cause...anti-death penalty, woman's rights...etc. Political parties should have wider base else we will not have wide base support.

Goh Meng Seng

Royal Canin Feline 32

Alfrescian
Loyal
And why are oppo parties still in their infancy, GMS?

Low and Chiam have been MPs for many years. Why are their parties still in their infancy?

plus, there are so many parties now. One of them even a foreign currency party.

Infancy? I think many of the restrictions you think exist are self imposed.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Royal Canin Cat Lover

I believe you are an activist yourself and you would know what it takes to be social activists. The cost and the resources needed to be one. I am being very frank with everyone there and here, opposition parties are still at its infancy. With no paid staffs, no resources, to act like NGO as well as political parties, that is really unrealistic.

Goh Meng Seng

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
And why are oppo parties still in their infancy, GMS?

Low and Chiam have been MPs for many years. Why are their parties still in their infancy?

plus, there are so many parties now. One of them even a foreign currency party.

Infancy? I think many of the restrictions you think exist are self imposed.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Royal Canin Cat Lover

You have missed out one important event in history, SDP lost 3 MPs within one election during 1997.

1 or 2 MPs among 84, that is way way backward, don't you think? Yes, it is in its infancy.

Goh Meng Seng

Angelo

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have missed out one important event in history, SDP lost 3 MPs within one election during 1997.

1 or 2 MPs among 84, that is way way backward, don't you think? Yes, it is in its infancy.

Goh Meng Seng

Hi Quack,

U still don't get it don't you. Why question SDP when you yourself has got so much to hide. Sigh, You are such a waste of space, this 7th month very fierce.
Joining your buddies anytime soon?

:smile:

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
GMS

why are you not working 12 hours a day visiting all the Tampines households?

Dear manokie,

It is good to be hardworking but it is best to work smart as well.

Think of a way to make people in Tampines keep talking about the key issues I made about MBT's HDB policies and indirectly, the awareness of NSP presence and contest. That would be better because even when we are not there in Tampines, the ground is still working for us.

Goh Meng Seng

Angelo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear manokie,

It is good to be hardworking but it is best to work smart as well.

Think of a way to make people in Tampines keep talking about the key issues I made about MBT's HDB policies and indirectly, the awareness of NSP presence and contest. That would be better because even when we are not there in Tampines, the ground is still working for us.

Goh Meng Seng

Old Fool. if u ever come to my constituency, i will call the SPCA to catch you :smile:

aurvandil

Alfrescian
Loyal
Heard from spy in the PA/PAP. PA/PAP IB has been activated. PAP stunned by the recent overruning of cyberspace with anti-PAP sentiment. While conventional wisdom says that it is just a small group of activists, there are orders from the top that they must be "neutralised". There was some discussion of a China style firewall but this was deemed politically too expensive to implement and is to used as a weapon of last resort. Orders now are to flood traditional anti-govt sites with "counter" postings.