• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Goh Meng Seng attacks SDP in Zaobao interview

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
SDP's loss is WP's & NSP's gain. So other opposition parties should rejoice since they are all vying for the dominant position in opposition politics.

SDP's loss is every opp parties' disadvantages. peasants would use that to gauge the quality of other opp parties who are not involved in their silly little vexatious pranks.

SDP should infact vy for unification of all the opp parties. just like unfiying the locals banks. it would be a bigger formidable foe that could speak volume to the paps.

come election time, precious votes would not be lost in multi parties dilution. hence chances of knocking out pap mps would be higher.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thanks for your reply. It is much appreciated.

May I venture an opinion:
disagreements within a political party is not a check-and-balance.

such disagreements based on taking on a differentiating position are just to gain political advantages to further your ranking within the party.

such disagreements can shift with the political wind and carry no responsibility to the voter; only to themselves and for themselves and the political horses they are backing.

What then is the substantive difference between disagreements intra-party and inter-party?

My opinion is that the difference lies in the advantages it carry to the voters:
(1) Intra-party disagreements carry no advantage to the voter.

(2) Inter-party agreements (i did not mistype this), provided there is no overall control by one party, carry immense advantage to the voter. Because the dominant party will now need to persuade the minority party with the 1/3 stake of the usefulness of their policies - not for themselves but for the opposition too.

Singaporeans as a whole will benefit from such accountability by the dominant party.
Thus it may be a good thing for opposition parties to sing the same song as the PAP, even together with the PAP, so long as at the end of the day, they are not controlled by the PAP and can give a truly independent voice to the voters.

As to who is eating whom, it remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Thanks for your reply. It is much appreciated.

May I venture an opinion:

disagreements within a political party is not a check-and-balance.

such disagreements based on taking on a differentiating position are just to gain political advantages to further your ranking within the party.

sometimes they hold the same position but use personalities and backing of the correct horses to bring in advancement for themselves.
What then is the difference between disagreements intra-party and inter-party?

My opinion is that the difference lies in the advantages it carry to the voters:

(1) Intra-party disagreements carry no advantage to the voter.

(2) Inter-party agreements (i did not mistype this), provided there is no overall control by one party, carry immense advantage to the voter. Because the dominant party will now need to persuade the minority party with the 1/3 stake of the usefulness of their policies - not for themselves but for the opposition too.

Singaporeans as a whole will benefit from such cautiousness by the dominant party.
Thus it may be a good thing for opposition parties to sing the same song as the PAP, even together with the PAP, so long as at the end of the day, they are not controlled by the PAP and can give a truly independent voice to the voters.

Dear Kakowi,

Thank you.

In my view, whether its intra or inter party dynamics, it would benefits the voters. The crux of the democratic system is to uphold public interests in the midst of personal agendas of those politicians involved. Strange it may be, but it is a system that tries to guard public interests while recognizing the selfish nature of human beings that are involved in the political games.

It is very much like the free market principles. While economists recognize the selfish "rational" thinking and behaviour of the economic players or agents, they have conclude that an open economy is the best system to provide the most efficient and effective ways of resources allocation.

Thus, to me, it does not really matter whether its inter or intra parties dynamics. They may just vary in the degree of effectiveness to provide the needed checks and balances but ultimately, its still a contribution to the bigger picture.

Goh Meng Seng

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Regarding democracy, in my view, the crux of democracy lies in the structural process of restraining the selfish interests of the individual from taking overall control.

That is why the strength of democracy lies in the strength of the opposition (and its maturity), not in the level of disagreements within a dominant party.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
u must remind "the other party" and their clones when they are doing the same.

i feel that is something that has to be worked out amongst yourselves

and is something that you hopefully know you have at best two years to create a new, matured, creditable image to the voters

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey can you do me a favour and translate into English if possible? Sorry but my Mandarin is real crappy. Cheers:smile:

Dear Avantas,

You have chosen to read Zaobao article as it is. The following is my clarifications made in another forum:

“偏激的言论也许能哗众取宠,博得一些立场本来就偏激的人拍手叫好,但大多数网民要看的还是客观、成熟的评论” 这一段的确是我说, 后一段是被歪曲的。

“久而久之,这一些偏激言论的网站就会流失大量读者” 这是我的原意。

我相信是她的主编改的。她问我会不会觉得民主党在网上的支持者很多而其他的反对党如工人党和团结党就不见得多,我说一个政党最终还是得面对全部选民的选票。民主党现今大选的选票还是大不如前,这是不争的事实。可能就这样联想到以上的说话了。我是不可能知道民主党网站是否流失大量读者的。

吴明盛

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do you have any links on this issue?

cheers

When the allegations first arise about Choo being a "writer" for a PAP MP, Choo and Andrew denies it vehemently and even threaten to sue the whistle-blower, Jasper. However, when they are exposed, they quickly back down without even an apology. This incident alone is enough to show up their characters.

Without even basic honesty and integrity, does TOC even have a shred of credibility left ?

A

Alu862

SDP website is a personal blog with a narrow view on just attack everything non SDP

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Insightful Bro:smile:

[/INDENT]Thus it may be a good thing for opposition parties to sing the same song as the PAP, even together with the PAP, so long as at the end of the day, they are not controlled by the PAP and can give a truly independent voice to the voters.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Perhaps all this depends on whether it is a PERCEPTION or REALITY:wink:
Thus, to me, it does not really matter whether its inter or intra parties dynamics. They may just vary in the degree of effectiveness to provide the needed checks and balances but ultimately, its still a contribution to the bigger picture.

Goh Meng Seng

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, and INSTITUTIONAL INDEPENDENCE starting with real SEPARATION OF POWERS:wink:
Regarding democracy, in my view, the crux of democracy lies in the structural process of restraining the selfish interests of the individual from taking overall control.

That is why the strength of democracy lies in the strength of the opposition (and its maturity), not in the level of disagreements within a dominant party.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Anything wrong with Goh Meng Seng (or any non-SDP member) attacking SDP?

If Dr. Chee Soon Juan (or any SDP member) attacks SDP, then that's worrying.

A

Alu862

All political parties in Singapore attack each other. They have failed Singaporeans

mockingbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Utimately, what S'poreans want is a strong opposition party, not a rift raft of small weak opposition parties mudslinging daily.

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal
Utimately, what S'poreans want is a strong opposition party, not a rift raft of small weak opposition parties mudslinging daily.

Concurred. In this day and age, words spoken and statements made in both cyberspace and main stream media will come back to haunt those with political ambitions in one way or another, gift of the gab notwithstanding.
The saddest end result would be to be reduced to the starting of threads and posting of comments focused and targeted at a political entity unceasingly in forums like this. And with no reputation points guaranteed to boot!

Last edited: