• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Go Nippon! Asiatics Can Finally Hold Head Up High As Japan Enters Top 16 in World Cup Football!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
1669943558983.png

DOHA: Japan fan Yuta Kamei was still shaking with excitement when CNA spoke to him minutes after the Samurai Blue's stunning 2-1 victory over Spain on Thursday (Dec 1) that put them in the World Cup knockout stage.

"I had hoped that we could win but ... I knew that Spain was very strong," he said, beaming with pride.

Coming into the game, Luis Enrique's team were top of Group E, unbeaten in their first two games. As per the script, they scored early in the first half, courtesy of Alvaro Morata.

"When Spain scored, I was so sad, and the Spanish (supporter) next to me gave me some snacks," said Mr Kamei.

"In the first half, Spain were very strong with their attacks," added Mr Osamu Kagayama, who watched the game with his wife Shoko at the Khalifa International Stadium.

TEARS IN THE BREAK ROOM
But despite going behind, Japanese fans were hopeful – after all, this was not the first time Japan had fallen behind this World Cup.

Up against four-time world champions Germany in their group opener on Nov 23, Japan came from behind to win 2-1.

Mr Ryoma Yoshii watched the Germany match on a laptop in his office's break room back in Japan. He was in tears after the game, and asked his boss for time off so he could fly to Qatar, he said.

"(He said) the World Cup is once every four years, please enjoy it. Before I left Japan, my co-workers and boss and seniors said: 'Please enjoy, and create a new history for Japanese football'," he said.

Then came a 1-0 defeat to Costa Rica, which plunged Japan's hopes of progressing into uncertainty.

"Somehow, we couldn't demonstrate our actual power," said Mr Yoshii.

"We don't know why we lost to Costa Rica, but players and fans never gave up," added Mr Kamei.

The loss meant that Japan had come into the game with Spain needing an unlikely win to progress. Ranked seventh in the world, Spain were among the favourites to win the World Cup.

With Japan 1-0 down at half time, Japan manager Moriyasu threw on Ritsu Doan and Kaoru Mitoma. Doan netted the equaliser, while Mitoma provided the assist for Ao Tanaka's eventual winner.

"I am proud of this team ... They never gave up," said Mr Kamei.

Japan's second goal was mired in controversy, after the ball looked as if it had crossed the byline prior to Mitoma's cross, only for VAR rule that it hadn’t after a lengthy wait, and Tanaka's goal stood.

"I couldn't hold back my emotions, (I was) excited ... I apologised (to the Spanish fan) next to me for shouting," recalled Mr Yoshii.

"But she was so very kind. (And told me that) screaming was very okay."

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/spo...knockout-stages-most-emotional-moment-3116981

ODACHEK

Alfrescian
Loyal
Japan enter before right? Next round kena whacked by Brazil football standards for sure...

ODACHEK

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's what people said about Nippon when they faced Germany and Spain.
Maybe Germany and Spain kumgong underestimate Japan becos Asian countries especially Japan sure piah first round....next round NO MORE ENERGY to piah liao.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Maybe Germany and Spain kumgong underestimate Japan becos Asian countries especially Japan sure piah first round....next round NO MORE ENERGY to piah liao.

Big mistake by Germany and Spain. Since about 130 years ago, it was widely accepted that Japan is on par with the best western countries, especially making the Nippon almost as good as the AMDKs.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Delusional Tiongs will somehow believe they can achieve something similar in future, even as their country is in chaos now. :roflmao:

Robert Half

Alfrescian
Loyal
Only entering into World Cup semifinals then consider as an achievement :thumbsup:

Enter Round of 16 is like just passed scoring 50/100 marks :biggrin: