• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Fucking Singapore customs desperate for tourist money, extort GST for used bag!!

Cottonmouth

Alfrescian
Loyal

Taiwan celeb shares 'unpleasant experience' at Singapore airport over GST payment for bag​

Singapore Customs told CNA that its officers at checkpoints "assess the specifics of each case".
Taiwan celeb shares 'unpleasant experience' at Singapore airport over GST payment for bag

Taiwanese celebrity make-up artist Xiao Kai alleged that the Singapore Customs regarded his Celine bag, which was less than three months old, as a new item. (Photo: Video screengrab via 8world)
25 Oct 2022 06:06PM (Updated: 25 Oct 2022 06:06PM)

SINGAPORE: The Singapore Customs on Tuesday (Oct 25) said it assesses "the specifics of each case", in response to a Taiwanese celebrity's claims that he was stopped at Changi Airport and asked to pay a tax for his used luxury bag.
Make-up artist Xiao Kai, whose real name is Chang Ching-kai, posted a live video on the Instagram platform last week, sharing an encounter with Singapore's customs officers when he arrived at Changi Airport.
In the video, which has since been deleted, he alleged in Mandarin that the officers told him he had to pay taxes for a Celine bag in his possession.
Xiao Kai said he was taken to a "small room" and asked to show a receipt for the luxury product, which he was unable to because he purchased it in Taipei in September.
He claimed the officers were mocking and did not believe he was a make-up artist.
"They made me feel like I was carrying drugs or smuggling gold or diamonds," he said.
Xiao Kai said the officers informed him that the bag was considered new as it was purchased in the last three months.
He ended up paying a tax of 7 per cent of its sale price, which he said was about NT$50,000 (S$2,205).
On Tuesday, the Singapore Customs told CNA it was aware of Xiao Kai's Instagram post on his "unpleasant experience with the authorities at the airport over the payment of Goods and Services Tax (GST) for a bag he brought into Singapore".
In response to queries, a spokesperson said that under Singapore's laws, arriving travellers, whether foreigners or returning residents, are required to declare and pay GST to bring in new goods exceeding their GST relief.

“This is applicable whether the goods were purchased overseas or whether foreign taxes were paid,” the spokesperson added.

He added that this practice was consistent with other countries that also levy GST on goods such as souvenirs and gifts purchased overseas and meant for the traveller’s personal use.
For used personal items such as used clothing, shoes, bags and toiletries, travellers are not required to declare and pay GST on them, said the Customs spokesperson.
This is because such items are treated as used articles and personal belongings for which GST exemption is granted under the law.

“However, our officers at the checkpoint will assess the specifics of each case, such as the condition of the goods presented, to ascertain whether the goods are liable for GST payment,” the spokesperson added.

Singapore Customs said they have contacted Xiao Kai to understand the circumstances of his case.

countryman

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the 1st place, is he a tourist in Sinkapor or he's residing in Sinkapor? No logic to tax him if he's a tourist here, this is absurd!

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm starting to believe customs officers now work on a commission basis based on how much GST is being collected liao....

Last edited:

Singapore Dancing Spirit

Alfrescian
Loyal
Under Singapore's laws, ALL arriving Travellers, whether foreigners or returning residents, are required to declare and pay GST to bring in new goods exceeding their GST relief.

Travellers?? How to enforce.

I believe this is enforced because A 25-year Singaporean woman who wanted to smuggle $11000+ worth of branded items from Paris
https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...g-i-bought-overseas-8-things-you-need-to-know

Last edited:

countryman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Under Singapore's laws, ALL arriving Travellers, whether foreigners or returning residents, are required to declare and pay GST to bring in new goods exceeding their GST relief.

Travellers?? How to enforce.

I believe this is enforced because A 25-year Singaporean woman who wanted to smuggle $11000+ worth of branded items from Paris
https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...g-i-bought-overseas-8-things-you-need-to-know
If you're a foreigner residing in Singapore, it makes sense to be taxed for shopping items.
But if you're tourist in Sinkapor just for a week or so n you're wearing a 30k new rolex bought recently from Europe, isn't it absurb to be taxed? It doesn't make sense @all.

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
KNN What to do ? KNN as my uncle had always mentioned sg custom was setup for extortion KNN or else what they live on ? KNN

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What if I buy a 2nd-hand Lolex Suckmariner from someone at JB ? Must I declare GST when cumming back ?

Last edited:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What if I buy a 2nd-hand Lolex Suckmariner from someone at JB ? Must I declare GST when cumming back ?
If you buy some stuff from JB for more than few hundreds, you need to declare and show the receipts. They then lead you to a room within the ICA building at Woodlands and pay the tax. This happened even to Sinkie families who went to JB by cars to shop for household items. When going back, ICA would check the boot of the car to see the anything that had been bought at JB supermarkets and enquire the total amount these families had spent. They would ask you for the receipt. Some ICA officers would close one eye if the amount exceed just by few dollars.