• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

From Last GE 2006 To Early GE 2009: Possible?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Recently, I've been hearing rumours and speculations of an early GE next year, from both PAP camps and Opposition camps. Some of the reasons given or speculated upon, inter alia, are:

- Recession is going deepen severely by 2010, so call for GE earlier before the grounds turn sour or chilly with discontent.

- Marina Sands IR may not be able to open by end 2009, so call for GE earlier to sidestep the embarrassment.

- There's health concern for MM Lee, so call for GE earlier to ensure that he can still stand for election.

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can't wait for it to come....
but
the question is.......is the oppositions ready? Found their candidates?
or
are they still in their la-la-land?

:o :confused: :o

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My personal assessment of Opposition readiness, in terms of candidate numbers:

- WP (2 GRCs + 4 SMCs)
- NSP (2 GRCs + 2 SMCs)
- SPP/SDA (1 GRC + 2 SMCs)
- SDP (1 GRC + 1 SMC)

Around 41 candidates, if they want to use the BEES, or around 43 candidates if they don't want the PAP to be returned to power on nomination day.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Recently, I've been hearing rumours and speculations of an early GE next year, from both PAP camps and Opposition camps. Some of the reasons given or speculated upon, inter alia, are:

- Recession is going deepen severely by 2010, so call for GE earlier before the grounds turn sour or chilly with discontent.

- Marina Sands IR may not be able to open by end 2009, so call for GE earlier to sidestep the embarrassment.

- There's health concern for MM Lee, so call for GE earlier to ensure that he can still stand for election.

It is nothing new that within every election term, people would speculate a snap election and give many kinds of analysis to justify it.

My own assessment is that the GE will be in 2011. The PAP no longer looks like they are in a hurry to hold elections since the 1991 loss of 4 seats.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
My personal assessment of Opposition readiness, in terms of candidate numbers:

- WP (2 GRCs + 4 SMCs)
- NSP (2 GRCs + 2 SMCs)
- SDP (1 GRC + 1 SMC)

Around 41 candidates, if they want to use the BEES, or around 43 candidates if they don't want the PAP to be returned to power on nomination day.

One more:

- RP (1 GRC + 1 SMC)

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One more:

- RP (1 GRC + 1 SMC)

Oh yes, thanks. How could I have forgotten? Apologies to the RP.

Revised estimates:

- WP (2 GRCs + 3 SMCs)
- NSP (2 GRCs + 2 SMCs)
- SDP (1 GRC + 1 SMC)
- RP (1 GRC + 1 SMC)

So, most likely, no BEES.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal

The budget anouncement in Jan 2009 will let us know if a GE will take place.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal

Either way, there might be a caretaker MP if MM Lee passes either before an early election or after. But his GRC would look weaker once LKY passes on for sure. Tanjong Pagar has been coasting because LKY is in charge of the whole GRC.

In many ways though, it'd just look obviously selfish to most of us. Its as if he cannot accept his own morality. How long can he be in control anyway? Its time to realise his time has come to its end. There's no point in extending what is a fact for many years now: his time has come and gone. His time as a politician has disappeared with the arrival of 21st century politics.

At a time of Youtube, facebook, Myspace, flickr, he is a dinosaur of the highest kind.

Chia Tse Li

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can anyone provide more description to Lee Kuan Yew's health condition? as to come to the conclusion that he is having some health problems. I do see him speaking extremely slowly and needing to think for long before he can complete his sentence. This is one symptom of the retardation of his cognitive abilities i tink. Well... if he passes on, I do think it will be something good for the PAP as well, not only the opposition parties. The PAPs can finally wake up their idea and start their internal debate and argument...perhaps some robust and effective kind of debates that can bring forth more creativity and wisdom than when LKY is around. When he is around, the PAPs are limiting themselves from expressing, one factor being the fear of LKY (well well... not the fear of God though... to quote JBJ : 'Fear no one but God'. LKY thinks he is God but then he is in his la la land...just to pass on and realise he is no God. With LKY gone, I believe many in the PAP may begin to speak up more and express freely. And this is something good... it aid in their being able to think critically and stop allowing their minds stalling in sedation.