• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Forum: No success with job search after 2 years

Voldermort

Alfrescian
Loyal
I refer to the letter from the press secretary to the Minister for Manpower, "Government listens to Singaporeans' concerns on jobs and livelihoods" (Sept 25).

It was mentioned that through the SGUnited Jobs and Skills Package, more than 128,000 local job seekers have been placed into jobs and skills opportunities.

For relevance, the conversion factor - to show how many job applicants were successful in getting jobs - should also be indicated.

The letter said job seekers can approach Workforce Singapore to get suitable placements. Unfortunately, my own experience with the Workforce Singapore website leaves much to be desired.

I am a maritime professional with more than 35 years of service, and I was made redundant in September 2019.

Since then, I have made at least 125 job applications using the Workforce Singapore website and have not received a single invitation for an interview.

Last month, I appealed to Minister for Manpower Tan See Leng for help. He replied very promptly and forwarded my request to Careers Connect, Workforce Singapore.

I was contacted by both an officer and a career coach but after a few calls and e-mail exchanges, there has been no follow-up.

I have made no progress in my quest to get employment for about two years despite using the Workforce Singapore portal, as well as trying to communicate with its staff.

Based on the comments and feedback on various social media forums, I think I am not the only one in this situation.

I hope that the Workforce Singapore recruitment process will be reviewed and reinforced with more dedicated follow-up to ensure that all eligible citizens find gainful employment.

Rajkrish Kumaran

https://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/forum/forum-no-success-with-job-search-after-2-years

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
2 years! Unlucky he got retrenched in 2019 just before covid

Is the maritime industry doing very badly in Singapore?

Sometimes one has to be realistic. Accept the realities that things have changed. And adapt accordingly.

2 years without a job hurts the finances severely. $0 income is very tough.

My question is has the writer tried applying for minimum wage jobs? Drive uber? Grab food delivery?

I would do that while trying to find a better job.

Nevertheless I am sad that the writer has been put in such a position where his decades of experience are irrelevant in the job market now.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
2 years! Unlucky he got retrenched in 2019 just before covid

Is the maritime industry doing very badly in Singapore?

Sometimes one has to be realistic. Accept the realities that things have changed. And adapt accordingly.

My question is has the writer tried applying for minimum wage jobs? Drive uber? Grab food delivery?

Nevertheless I am sad that the writer has been put in such a position where his decades of experience are irrelevant in the job market now.

No such thing as redundancy. Why does NSF no redundancy?

Redundancy is a scam. Foreign tenants is the 1st to retrench but not the locals....

Why does fuck loong as many DPMs?

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
I refer to the letter from the press secretary to the Minister for Manpower, "Government listens to Singaporeans' concerns on jobs and livelihoods" (Sept 25).

It was mentioned that through the SGUnited Jobs and Skills Package, more than 128,000 local job seekers have been placed into jobs and skills opportunities.

For relevance, the conversion factor - to show how many job applicants were successful in getting jobs - should also be indicated.

The letter said job seekers can approach Workforce Singapore to get suitable placements. Unfortunately, my own experience with the Workforce Singapore website leaves much to be desired.

I am a maritime professional with more than 35 years of service, and I was made redundant in September 2019.

Since then, I have made at least 125 job applications using the Workforce Singapore website and have not received a single invitation for an interview.

Last month, I appealed to Minister for Manpower Tan See Leng for help. He replied very promptly and forwarded my request to Careers Connect, Workforce Singapore.

I was contacted by both an officer and a career coach but after a few calls and e-mail exchanges, there has been no follow-up.

I have made no progress in my quest to get employment for about two years despite using the Workforce Singapore portal, as well as trying to communicate with its staff.

Based on the comments and feedback on various social media forums, I think I am not the only one in this situation.

I hope that the Workforce Singapore recruitment process will be reviewed and reinforced with more dedicated follow-up to ensure that all eligible citizens find gainful employment.

Rajkrish Kumaran

https://www.straitstimes.com/opinion/forum/forum-no-success-with-job-search-after-2-years
He must have voted for PAP. That is why he still went through Workforce Sg website.
Any politically sane fellow would realise early on that, that is just a wayang show to appease and hoodwink citizens.
Rajkrish deserve what he got.

Lizzert

Alfrescian
Loyal
Join the ever popular and ever expending , exclusively and strictly for "Sinkies only"
professions of :
Food Delivery Executives or Private Hire Vehicle Concierge.. and be thankful to the PAP

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He is a ah neh. Even Singapore ah neh gets discriminated in job market. Cannot speak Chinese.
Only way is to become grab driver or open ma ma store for all non vax ppl lah ? Open pata shop only for non vax.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gomen should create a central job centre.
Those employers needing workers will give requirement to job centre, and match those with the required skill needing jobs. Only after all applicants are rejected can employers get foreign workers.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
He can apply this job..

Aerospace companies looking to fill 1,000 jobs in Singapore over next two years: Tan See Leng​

Aerospace companies looking to fill 1,000 jobs in Singapore over next two years: Tan See Leng
Manpower Minister Tan See Leng delivering the keynote speech at JTC's Aerospace Day 2021 on Monday (Oct 11).
Tang See Kit

SINGAPORE: Aerospace companies in Singapore are planning to hire 1,000 people over the next two years, as the pandemic-battered sector gears up for new growth opportunities in digital services, autonomous technology and sustainability.
This was announced by Manpower Minister Tan See Leng at the Aerospace Day 2021 on Monday (Oct 11).

Advertisement​

One company that recently embarked on a recruitment drive is American aerospace manufacturer Pratt & Whitney, which plans to add 250 more employees to its maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) operations in Singapore by the end of this year.
“Their cutting-edge aerospace technology capabilities will keep Singapore and our workers on the forefront of the global MRO industry,” said Dr Tan, who is also Second Minister for Trade and Industry.
Business jet manufacturer Bombardier is looking to fill more than 90 positions as it aims to quadruple its existing footprint in Singapore, while engine-maker GE Aviation is also on the hunt for talent for 200 positions this year.
Among local players, Singapore Technologies (ST) Engineering is looking to recruit up to 200 aviation professionals by next year, while Singapore Aero Engine Services is hiring for 170 vacancies to support the growth of its operations.
JTC, which organised Aerospace Day, said in a separate press release that these job openings include data analysts, robotics and automation engineers, as well as aircraft technicians.

Advertisement​

“Despite the current challenges that the aviation sector is facing, its fundamentals and long-term prospects remain strong,” said ST Engineering’s commercial aerospace president Jeffrey Lam.
The company continues to invest and review opportunities for the expansion of its capabilities and capacity, including the hiring of aviation professionals to "support in growth areas", he added.
Managing director of GE Aviation Engine Services – Singapore Iain Rodger said the company is “seeing a strong recovery of the aviation sector” as international borders open up progressively and flights resume in “increasing numbers”.
“As a leader in the aircraft engine industry, GE Aviation needs the right engineering talent and workforce to serve our customers’ needs for engines maintenance, repair and overhaul,” he added.

US aerospace firm Pratt & Whitney to hire another 250 employees in Singapore as it prepares for recovery

Dr Tan said Singapore has over the years established itself as a “key node” in the global aerospace value chain. Now Asia’s leading aerospace MRO hub, the country accounts for 10 per cent of global MRO output.

Advertisement​

But with planes grounded and commercial flights drastically reduced since last year, Singapore’s aerospace industry, which employs more than 22,000 people and predominantly supports commercial aviation, has been reeling from the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Despite this, Singapore has continued to maintain “a strong base of aerospace activities” with companies exploring new avenues of growth, Dr Tan said in a speech at the event.
He cited how ST Engineering has been repurposing under-utilised passenger aircraft for air cargo.
Last year, the homegrown firm completed the world’s first freighter that was converted from an A321 passenger plane. It offers 55 per cent more capacity than its closest competitor, said Dr Tan.
“As the demand for freighters remains strong, ST Engineering is ramping up its conversion capacity, and will be converting more than 55 aircraft next year,” he added.

Flights grounded, fewer repairs: Singapore’s aerospace industry feels knock-on effects of COVID-19

THREE GROWTH OPPORTUNITIES​

Dr Tan noted that the longer-term outlook of the aerospace sector is “positive” and there are three key opportunities for growth.
One is the area of digital services where aerospace companies tap the power of big data to monitor aircraft health, predict maintenance schedules, optimise fuel consumption and minimise on-ground delays. This can help airlines and passengers save time and costs.
The minister pointed to Airbus, which officially opened its Singapore Campus at the Seletar Aerospace Park in November last year.
The campus serves as Airbus’ Asia-Pacific regional hub and houses a dedicated team for its digital solutions platform. The company intends to continue to explore collaborations with partners in the region to improve fleet performance, said Dr Tan.
Aerospace original equipment manufacturers can also play a critical role in developing autonomous technologies and advanced communications.
“Most ongoing efforts are concentrated in developing full-fledged autonomy for long-haul commercial flights. If successful, airlines will benefit through reduced operating costs, enhanced pilot decision-making, and safety,” the minister said, noting how local start-up H3 Dynamics partnered with Thales to test an autonomous drone flight monitoring system in Singapore last year.
Sustainability is the third growth area, said Dr Tan, as aerospace companies explore solutions such as electric propulsion, sustainable aviation fuels and hydrogen-powered aircraft.
For instance, Rolls-Royce is partnering Nanyang Technological University to develop electrification technologies to enable hybrid-electric aircraft. This will accelerate the adoption of alternative energy systems in the aerospace industry, the minister said.
Dr Tan added that companies looking to seize these growth opportunities “have a strong talent pool here to tap on”.
This includes certified technicians and engineers, as well as more than 2,000 graduates from various aerospace courses offered by the Institute of Technical Education, polytechnics and universities every year.
A career conversion programme is also available to help mid-career professionals keen to enter the sector, he said.
This year’s Aerospace Day was held virtually and attracted 1,800 students and job seekers, said JTC.
As part of the event, aerospace firms set up interactive exhibition booths where participants can directly contact companies’ representatives via a live chat function. The virtual exhibitions will continue to be available for the next two weeks.
In addition to the online programme, JTC is working with companies to host exclusive tours to company facilities in Seletar Aerospace Park at the end of the year.
“The aerospace industry has remained resilient over the last two years and many bright sparks remain within the sector. At Seletar Aerospace Park, we are seeing companies invest in new capabilities and strong hiring interest to build their pipeline of talent,” said JTC’s director of aerospace and marine cluster Lim Ai Ting.
“By bringing the aerospace companies together for Aerospace Day, we hope to showcase the exciting job opportunities available in the sector, and allow talents to better understand the exciting work that the sector offers.”

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stroke Heng already declared in last GE 2020 he will create 100,000 good jobs for sinkees . Where are the jobs ???

rodent2005

Alfrescian
Loyal

How you know he didn't?

MarcusTan

Alfrescian
Loyal

He's worked for so long which means he is likely in his 50s.

Unlike our Ministers who can pivot so easily to their new jobs/roles, it is not a trivial thing to switch to another industry. Even if one is willing to accept a new job in a new industry and accept the salary of a fresh grad, the employer will question why not employ a fresh grad for the same pay--easier to train and with so much time and energy unlike someone in his 50s who will be stuck with [ageing] family, children and mortgage(s).

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am a maritime professional with more than 35 years of service, and I was made redundant in September 2019
During that period he was made redundant, maritime industry still doing quite ok unlike the past 1 1/2 years. If he have any maritime licenses, he can easily get a job as a engine driver or any steersman job. Less pay than his previous position, but at least he's working in an environment that he's familiar with.

maxsanic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rajkrish Kumaran

Judging by his 35 years in Maritime industry + 2 years unemployment, one can deduce he is around mid to late 50s. Unfortunately, no government scheme is going to get him another role anytime soon. I am not surprised that he has not gotten any interview despite the numerous applications. Reason is he's too close to retirement age.

Maritime companies are not interested in hiring someone at this age when there are plenty of applicants in their 30s and even 40s. 35 years experience is useful if competing against fresh graduates, but for middle level professional or managerial jobs someone younger with 15 - 20 years experience is far more appealing.

Mid-career conversion and restart from scratch is also not doable. By the time he spends another 1-2 more years doing training and apprenticeship, there's really very little years left before retirement, so it's a no go as well. I would say his best bet is to do a combination of studying under the SGUnited Skills program plus jobs with no barriers to entry like PHV / food delivery / condo security guard / safe entry checker etc .

The SGUnited studies are IMO useless for securing jobs but at least the government gives a small monthly allowance while he is studying. Supplemented by another $1.5-2k from the a/m jobs should be able to last for a few years till retirement. If after 62 he still needs to work due to money then it has nothing to do with being retrenched as he would be the same situation even if he had stayed in his previous company.

karizma

Alfrescian
Loyal
Feeling a bit lost after 2 years of job hunting as an accountant, no luck yet. Checked out https://salarship.com/article/will-accounting-become-obsolete/ and there's this interesting read on the future of accounting. Sometimes feels like hitting a wall. But every "no" is a step closer to the right "yes." The perfect opportunity is out there, just a matter of time! Maybe it's time to explore new angles or upskill?

Last edited:

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
was mentioned that through the SGUnited Jobs and Skills Package, more than 128,000 local job seekers have been placed into jobs and skills opportunities.
Sg united program is a scam for company to get slave for a small % of the actual salary eg. A $3to4k job is paid abt $800