• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Forest City

Relaxman

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are never too young to plan for retirement, sooner is better than later. No one is gonna take care of you except for yourself.

For me I never plan to retire, I just want to achieve financial freedom before 35, but i'll still keep working/consulting/freelancing/volunteering as I like to do that.

I don't want to end up being senile at a young age :p

That is the message. Don't want to end up being senile! :biggrin:

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
It will never be a failure if they make it duty free

Forest city has launched the landed properties, anyone got details of the pricing?

Interesting to see how this place will turn out, I believe it will likely be a astounding success or an epic failure. Really has the salute those Chinese developer, always with a big bang.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
You can take a part time job while waiting to secure the next permanent job. i am sure you can find one company that will appreciate your working experience than those fresh grades. Furthermore, reduce your expected salary after you are retrenched. Start low again and if you can prove yourself in the organization, i am sure your boss will raise your salary later.

Your piece of advice is so wise and is priceless.
Hopefully one day you get to practice what you preach.

Relaxman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your piece of advice is so wise and is priceless.
Hopefully one day you get to practice what you preach.

Please don't be rude. We are all here trying to help each other. If you think you have a better suggestion, please share with us. Sarcasm will only lead you to the drain. Hope you will repent and start being kind to others. I am sure you would not want to end up like our infamous malpaso and his gangs.

Relaxman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Retiring too young will end up in many "personal indiscretions" as you have nothing else to do. :biggrin: :biggrin:

In fact i knew a person in Spore who retired early, in his mid 40s after being retrenched. Luckily his wife is working. However, the last thing i hear about him is his wife divorced him because caught him going to Geylang frequently. He must be to free and have nothing to do thus try some adventure at Geylang.

tstar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Retirement does not mean you do not have to work. but it means you do not have to do jobs like cleaners or security guards.

actually for those with expertise in one area or another and has gone through years of rigorous training, it does make one happy and feel fulfilled if having an opportunity to work as a consultant when retired.

but honestly speaking, such opportunities to work as a consultant are very rare in sg today for a man in 50s. that is why my colleagues once rerired or retrenched would rather go to china and work for china universities and companies.

it is totally a waste to ask a degree holder to work as guards or taxi drivers just for survival reasons. if so, why parents spent so much money sending to univ and tuitions?

In fact i knew a person in Spore who retired early, in his mid 40s after being retrenched. Luckily his wife is working. However, the last thing i hear about him is his wife divorced him because caught him going to Geylang frequently. He must be to free and have nothing to do thus try some adventure at Geylang.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Retirement does not mean you do not have to work. but it means you do not have to do jobs like cleaners or security guards.

actually for those with expertise in one area or another and has gone through years of rigorous training, it does make one happy and feel fulfilled if having an opportunity to work as a consultant when retired.

but honestly speaking, such opportunities to work as a consultant are very rare in sg today for a man in 50s. that is why my colleagues once rerired or retrenched would rather go to china and work for china universities and companies.

it is totally a waste to ask a degree holder to work as guards or taxi drivers just for survival reasons. if so, why parents spent so much money sending to univ and tuitions?

Some say Retirement means financial independence
Some say Retirement means no need to work anymore
Some say Retirement means have plenty of money

For me, Retirement means happily working for others
For me, Retirement means no need to work for oneself
For me, Retirement means working is for the fun of it

What do you guys really want? :biggrin:

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some say Retirement means financial independence
Some say Retirement means no need to work anymore
Some say Retirement means have plenty of money

For me, Retirement means happily working for others
For me, Retirement means no need to work for oneself
For me, Retirement means working is for the fun of it

What do you guys really want? :biggrin:

Retirement means goodbye to 9 to 6 routine, goodbye to datelines and targets, goodbye to office politics.
Retirement means you can go on an extended vacation anytime and you don't have to apply for leave.
Retirement means that while on vacation, you don't need to keep checking for important messages and emails and answering them.
Retirement means you have no more money issues to worry about and can decide anytime for some indulgence from time to time.
Retirement means you should be enjoying the fruits of your labor and always remember that you only live once and always ask yourself what are you living for.

rotikok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Really has the salute those Chinese developer, always with a big bang.

Their braveness come with reasons, has something to do with the segment of buyers they are targetting on and i think there will be another waves of buying interest coming btw 2018-2020, the time when china economy transform to another stage.

Forest city was introduced as "besides singapore", and nothing much stressed about iskandar. Typical chinese marketing gimmick, all they want is to attract this rather huge segment of buyers, characterise by: 1. Slightly above middle class with some dispensible money in china, not too wealthy because those will choose US, canada, uk, aust or straight to sg
2. This segment buyers frustrated about lack of investment option in their country, buy shares lose money, buy property price not going up, got money dunno where to invest
3. Maybe many forummers here do not understand the attraction of MM2H or freehold, do they willing to commit just because it is freehold? To understand it, one need to know that there is no such thing as freehold in china, typical residential leasehold is 70 years, factory or commercial lease is even shorter. They will buy into it simply because it is freehold, regardless of future returns.
4. This segment of buyers is really huge and i believe there will be an infliction point when early buyers will attract more ongoing buyers when confidence gained.

Problem in long run is, it will be too investment oriented, bad for viable development.

gooddebt

Alfrescian
Loyal
Retirement means goodbye to 9 to 6 routine, goodbye to datelines and targets, goodbye to office politics.
Retirement means you can go on an extended vacation anytime and you don't have to apply for leave.
Retirement means that while on vacation, you don't need to keep checking for important messages and emails and answering them.
Retirement means you have no more money issues to worry about and can decide anytime for some indulgence from time to time.
Retirement means you should be enjoying the fruits of your labor and always remember that you only live once and always ask yourself what are you living for.

Like yr last sentence !

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal

Agree 101%. If I may add, while you are still healthy and mobile, and not when you are half dead and unable to spend your wealth (which you can't take with you to the other world) to enjoy.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
strange ...care to elaborate ?

I think most of you guys know I am an old cow, not literally but past my prime.
I am more than ready to retire. But I am still working at at a different pace. Retirement and earning nothing can wait. The cholesterol and high blood prsssure, failing eyesights will come and I have plenty of time for that when I cannot work anymore. Then it is paying back to society time.

Last edited:

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree 101%. If I may add, while you are still healthy and mobile, and not when you are half dead and unable to spend your wealth (which you can't take with you to the other world) to enjoy.

Over the past 7 years, I had been to many of my bucket list places to visit and sometimes got a bit carried away too.
The saying goes, when you are healthy, you go far away places. When you are not so healthy, you go near ones and sea cruises.