• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Foreign spouse of EP holder more favored than Citizen’s

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=2]Foreign spouse of EP holder more favored than Citizen’s[/h]
PostDateIcon.png
October 7th, 2012 |
PostAuthorIcon.png
Author: Contributions

I am a Chinese American married to a Singaporean, and I identify with the sentiment expressed in the letter “Make it easier for foreign spouses of citizens to sink roots” (Sept 26).

My husband and I got married a few months ago, and I qualify only for a Long-Term Visit Pass (LTVP), which gives me neither the right to work nor any health subsidies in case of a medical emergency.

The LTVP Plus requires us to have a Singaporean child, but no one in the right mind would have a child without health insurance and a job. The irony is that we do want to start a family.

We enquired at the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority about applying for permanent resident status and were advised to wait at least six months, otherwise there would be a risk of being rejected. This is to deter couples engaging in sham marriages.

But my husband and I dated for more than four years prior to marriage.

The wife of an Employment Pass (EP) holder is able to work with a Dependent’s Pass and a letter of consent from the authority, but frustratingly, I must find a company willing to sponsor me with an EP.

It is one thing to be an open economy but another to favour EP holders over one’s citizens, which is not the fault of foreigners.

Judging from my job search here, I also find that employers are not really interested in “talents” but, rather, someone willing to accept a low wage, which means people from certain countries have a competitive advantage.

I came here because of my husband and his ageing parents. The Government is supposed to share my pro-family values, yet I feel like I have been punished for being a citizen’s wife and a highly educated woman.
Laura Chen
* The letter first appeared in TodayOnline on (1 Oct)

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dear Laura

Go complain to the 40% voters making Ur life difficult. If your husband voted for the opposition, make him sleep outside for the next 2 months. He is the reason why you can't get PR

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Laura

Go complain to the 40% voters making Ur life difficult. If your husband voted for the opposition, make him sleep outside for the next 2 months. He is the reason why you can't get PR

Oh dear, the moderate opposition-supporting Char_Siew is at it again. :rolleyes:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There is something wrong with the 'facts' in the letter.
LTVP and dependant pass are the same thing....EP holder's wife and citizen's wife holding this pass subjected to same rules regarding employment.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal

I am a Chinese American married to a Singaporean, and I identify with the sentiment expressed in the letter “Make it easier for foreign spouses of citizens to sink roots” (Sept 26).

My husband and I got married a few months ago, and I qualify only for a Long-Term Visit Pass (LTVP), which gives me neither the right to work nor any health subsidies in case of a medical emergency..........................................................I came here because of my husband and his ageing parents. The Government is supposed to share my pro-family values, yet I feel like I have been punished for being a citizen’s wife and a highly educated woman..........
Laura Chen
* The letter first appeared in TodayOnline on (1 Oct)

Dear Laura:

Do these policies remind you that Singapore is very unlike a First-World Nation where every person is treated as a human being with human needs and desires or is she like a backward Third World Nation where some people have to be deprived of certain needs so they can be allocated to others "more-deserving"?

Do what you and your husband need to do here and when you're done, return to the States. Better to be stuck in a big country than a small one. The gahmen here is not pro-human, but pro-money.

Cheers!

rodent2005

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Laura

Libel deleted.

Are you implying that the PAP knows exactly who voted for & against them? That voting is not secret despite what the law and the PAP say? That the ICA has a political agenda and not politically neutral as the civil service should be? If you have evidence, please produce it because what you said is defamatory.

Last edited:

StinkiePeasants

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is a good example of someone who had failed in America and still can't find a good paying decent job in Stinkieland.

The recession and job market in the U.S. are very bad now that's why she is married to a Stinkie hoping to get a decent job and a PR in Stinkieland.

It should have been the other way around. Meaning, her husband moving to the U.S getting his Green Card if the U.S. economy is doing well. Once he gets his U.S. Green Card, he can then sponsor his parents for their Green Cards to move to America. Unfortunately, the U.S. economy is in deep shit right now and the health care cost are unbearable when they can't afford health insurance in America.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/b3JJZwkDwP8?list=UUB0mSwcu6CcQjigxA7Ct5hw&amp;hl=en_US" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

monkey001

Alfrescian
Loyal
Do what you and your husband need to do here and when you're done, return to the States. Better to be stuck in a big country than a small one. The gahmen here is not pro-human, but pro-money.

if she ever returns to the state. can the state be better. or you are just guessing that it should be better than singapore.