• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Foreign Minister George Yeo leaves politics

zujjkiol

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE: Foreign Minister George Yeo said on Tuesday he will not be contesting Aljunied GRC at the next general election.

The 57-year-old Minister told a news conference that he'll leave the important task to someone younger.

As for his role in public life, he said he will 'contribute in whatever modest way possible'.

He also added he will help 'in whatever way possible' to bring about the transformation of the People's Action Party.

Mr Yeo said Singapore's political development is entering a new phase.

So how the government responds to it will decide Singapore's destiny in the 21st century.

He reiterated his disappointment at losing Aljunied GRC contest, and said he respects voters' decision to have the Workers' Party to be their voice in Parliament.

On his next career move, Mr Yeo said he's not rushing to decide and added that he and his wife agreed he should take time to think things over.

In the meantime, he'll take a break to spend more time with the family.

-CNA/ck

loloba

Alfrescian
Loyal
Compare George Yeo with Chiam See Tong
George served 23 years with all the backings from government RC, CC, PCF - GRC
Resident of Aljunied would not dare to do a protest to show support of George Yeo, you can see only a handful aunties shed tears

Chiam See Tong served 27 years with Potong Pasir - SMC with no backings, denied upgrading for 27 years
Residents of Potong Pasir loved him so much willing to risk their lives to stage a protest

Chiam is different he challenged GCT/LHL in debates not for Potong Pasir but the whole of Singapore over issue like elected president

Both served more than 2 decades. Something wrong somewhere, right, Yes/No.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sg taken over by money grabbing jerks who care only about themselves......... servants become masters again!!

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Resident of Aljunied would not dare to do a protest to show support of George Yeo, you can see only a handful aunties shed tears

Chiam See Tong served 27 years with Potong Pasir - SMC with no backings, denied upgrading for 27 years
Residents of Potong Pasir loved him so much willing to risk their lives to stage a protest

Chiam is different he challenged GCT/LHL in debates not for Potong Pasir but the whole of Singapore over issue like elected president

agreed very much, if the whole of Bedok Reservior Road and other parts of Singapore loved him that much, they would had flock to Aljunied to demand a petition for a not-likely-to-suceed-but-we-will-try-anyway election. After some volunteers suggested the petition for Chiam See Tong, the movement gained momentum on its own.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/PotongPasirPetition

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Press statement by George Yeo

Thank you for waiting a couple of days for me to rest before meeting you.
Aljunied voters have decided and I respect their decision. Having committed 23 years of service to the residents, it is only natural for me to feel disappointed but this is politics.
It has been my privilege to have served them all these years and they have enriched my life. They have also enabled me to serve in various capacities as a Cabinet Minister in MITA, Health, MTI and MFA for which I am grateful.
Why did we lose Aljunied?
Mr Low Thia Kiang himself said that they won Aljunied not because the Aljunied team did not do a good job, but because the voters wanted WP to be their voice in Parliament.
Mr Low's analysis is fair and I agree with him. This desire for a strong WP voice in parliament was a political tide which came in through Aljunied which we were unable to withstand despite our very best efforts. Right from the start, the Workers party made Aljunied a national battleground.
The fight became one between a Workers Party voice in Parliament and an Aljunied team with two ministers, a potential Speaker of Parliament, a potential minister and a most effective Town Council chairman.
Though I wish the outcome had been different, Aljunied voters have made their choice.
Many of my supporters asked me to stay on to win back Aljunied in five years time. I wanted to level with them and told them last night that it is better for a younger person to take on this important task. I'm already 57 years old and would be 62 by then. Naturally I would help to ensure a smooth handover.
As we ended our campaign on 5 May, I talked about the importance of transforming PAP. This is a belief I've held for some time. It was not something I felt I could say when the campaign started. But, as the campaign went on, as we heard the growing cry from the heart, I decided to make it plain. Like it or not, we are entering a new phase in Singapore politics development. How we respond to it will decide Singapore's destiny in the 21st century.
I would help in whatever way I can to bring about this transformation of the PAP. I wish I had a mandate from the people of Aljunied to be a strong advocate of such transformation. But I don't.
As for remaining in public life, I will contribute in whatever modest way possible.
Many young people have stepped forward to help me in this campaign. Even more have cheered me on. It is not good that so many of them feel alienated from the Singapore they love. I look forward to continue working with them so that the Singapore we struggle for is the Singapore they feel is their own.
As to the actual role I can play, I'll be happy to respond to them. In the last few years, I have learnt much from my young friends. Often they led me rather than I led them. Since the GE results came out, there has been a flood of support for me expressed personally, through friends and relatives, on email and, in an astonishing way, on internet and FB. The words expressed are heartfelt. Many wrote me long passages, some in tears. I'm grateful for the kind words and the good wishes, and will be an advocate of their cause.
As for what I'll do professionally after stepping down as Minister when the new Cabinet is sworn in, I'm not rushing to make a decision. My wife and I thought we should take our time to think this over. We also need a break to spend more time with the family.
From the bottom of my heart, I would like to thank the people of Singapore for the opportunity of serving them in the last 23 years.

IR123

Alfrescian
Loyal

George Yeo gave me the impression that he is a gentleman. He respects the election process and the decisions of the voters. He also knows when to stop. He did not capitalise on the feelings of those who support him. He accepts the anti-PAP votes and knows that these votes are definitely not personal to him but to the PAP as the ruling party. Despite the task given to him, he discharged his responsibilities with all the capabilities he can muster. To his credit, he accepts that his capabilities are not equal to the voters' disillusionment of the PAP. The picture he gave in his after-election speech made me give him the highest accolade I can give to a worthy man.

I would say that comparing George Yeo with Chiam is inappropriate. The two are of different calibre, motivations, intellect, committment and characters. Supporters of Chiam who seek such comparison, lack the ability or the integrity to do the differentiation. If Chiam's supporters want to analyse the results of the Potong Pasir and the subsequent petition, they are within their rights to do so in any way they want. But, in my view, a comparison with George Yeo shows that they are just sore losers who want to drag a worthy individual down.

Besides, the Potong Pasir voters had shown that the Chiam is not worthy of the trust of the 74 crucial voters. A petition, unless allowed by the election procedures, is unfair to Sitoh who won the election fair and square. Asking for a by-election is not the appropriate solution because the dynamics of the electoral process is different in a by-election. If the shoes were on the other foot, the Chiam supporters would not like it. Far better for Lina Chiam to accept the NCMP post and be a real demonstration of "the love for Singapore" which Chiam See Tong professed for Singapore. Then try again in the next election and see if the 74 voters are convinced. If she truly care for the Potong Pasir residents, working the ground for the next five years will not be an issue.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE: Foreign Minister George Yeo said on Tuesday he will not be contesting Aljunied GRC at the next general election.

The 57-year-old Minister told a news conference that he'll leave the important task to someone younger.

As for his role in public life, he said he will 'contribute in whatever modest way possible'.

He also added he will help 'in whatever way possible' to bring about the transformation of the People's Action Party.

Mr Yeo said Singapore's political development is entering a new phase.

So how the government responds to it will decide Singapore's destiny in the 21st century.

He reiterated his disappointment at losing Aljunied GRC contest, and said he respects voters' decision to have the Workers' Party to be their voice in Parliament.

On his next career move, Mr Yeo said he's not rushing to decide and added that he and his wife agreed he should take time to think things over.

In the meantime, he'll take a break to spend more time with the family.

-CNA/ck

Liar. He will be back.

sengkang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Suffering Singaporean

Dear George

I am very sad to read your statement but I think this is the better choice for you to move on.

I knew you when in my army day, you were my commander and you are one of the very few commander I really respect from my heart.

Losing Aljunied GRC is not your fault, and not the people fault there. All we can see is a very bad decision from the top, and this is not the first bad decision he had made since he sat on the chair.

I especially sad for the "fallen talent" policy which cost me to lose my last 3 jobs, I am jobless for last 9 months and trying everyday to find means to support my family. As a so-called highly qualified person, I find it sad for the ruling party to keep saying life is better now than 5 years ago, maybe for some, but not me and my family.

Look around and we all see, poor Singaporean are living much worst than anytime in history since the man in power, I have friends that work from 7am till 10pm even midnite just to keep their rice bowl, jam pack MRT and buses force people to cut sleep hours and time with family, poor drivers are paying ERP to stay in the jam? obviously, the quality of life has dropped.

I don't understand why we are paying the ruling party to make our life so bad? my MP told me to go to CDC and I did, after months of waiting, they told me to try working in hotel industry, for salary around S$2000 including allowance and overtime, Sir, I have a MBA, BSC in computing, numbers of diplomat in financial, electronic and other qualifications, and I was a department and section head in my past jobs and now I am told to fold bed sheet? and more suitable and my capable jobs are given to fallen talents? are they really good? if so, why their countries are all in ultimate bad shape?

Are we really importing talents or rubbish? these group of people are not really doing good to poor Singaporean, they hire their own people, more fallen talents to secure the high post, only the work like @#$% level positions are given to Singaporean just to maintain the 'ratio'. They earn our money, slave our people and they enjoy their life here, do we really think something need to be change or our ruling party is doing what they suppose to?

Mr Low is one person with good planning and power to act, even if I am neutral to politic, I know he will make his plan to takeover more seats in every election. Things don't happen by chance, Singapore will not be the same like 10 years ago, more peoples especially the younger are voicing their view, their demand and they want to be heard and acted upon.

Take a break George, have some good time with your family, you will be happier and life will be better after you are out from the party.