• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

For people crazy about fishing - must see

Force 136

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<div id="fb-root"></div> <script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>
<div class="fb-post" data-href="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=734579946571282" data-width="466"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><a href="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=734579946571282">Post</a> by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/wats2eatinmy">What's to eat &amp; do in Malaysia</a>.</div></div>

What species is it?

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Looks like a Garoupa.. Malaysia waters are heaven for anglers..

In Mat land where I'm now working, its common to see local fishermen bringing back alot of big fishes from their overnight fishing trip..

exobay

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looks like a Giant Big Mouth Carp and definitely a freshwater fish. The clip shows a grass bank and not a beach. Quite common to see them this size and probably from a lake or fishpond.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Looks like a Giant Big Mouth Carp and definitely a freshwater fish. The clip shows a grass bank and not a beach. Quite common to see them this size and probably from a lake or fishpond.

Could also be a pay pond.. There are a lot of these fishing pay ponds where the owners put salt water fishes inside these ponds for their customers..

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One reminder for those that love to do prawn fishing in the rivers and I'm not talking about those silly prawn fishing activities in Pasir Ris or Punggol paying ponds..

When you're out in any river for some serious prawn fishing, keep a lookout for crocs.. In any river where you are able to get big large prawns, crocs are also aplenty in that same water that these prawns dwell in..

Prawns love to feast algae found on the body of crocs.. Same thing if you find a croc in a river, big prawns are aplenty there..

exobay

Alfrescian
Loyal
Could also be a pay pond.. There are a lot of these fishing pay ponds where the owners put salt water fishes inside these ponds for their customers..

I checked and apparently I was mistaken. It appears that this was a giant grouper caught in the sea and not from this region. Most probably in Taiwan.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I checked and apparently I was mistaken. It appears that this was a giant grouper caught in the sea and not from this region. Most probably in Taiwan.

In Changi waters near to the Changi Naval Base, you're still able to hook up 5,10 kg Garoupas there..

And as recently as 5 years ago, the man made lagoon just besides Changi Exhibition Centre was the place to hook up juvenile and medium sized Garoupas due to the many rocks found inside the waters there...

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
One reminder for those that love to do prawn fishing in the rivers and I'm not talking about those silly prawn fishing activities in Pasir Ris or Punggol paying ponds..

When you're out in any river for some serious prawn fishing, keep a lookout for crocs.. In any river where you are able to get big large prawns, crocs are also aplenty in that same water that these prawns dwell in..

Prawns love to feast algae found on the body of crocs.. Same thing if you find a croc in a river, big prawns are aplenty there..

The biggest prawns I have ever caught in Sg was in marina bay area when they were building the Sheares bridge.
Huge fat prawns as big as length of an entire palm.
Sad to say even the sheares bridge is gone now due to greedy pappies.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The biggest prawns I have ever caught in Sg was in marina bay area when they were building the Sheares bridge.
Huge fat prawns as big as length of an entire palm.
Sad to say even the sheares bridge is gone now due to greedy pappies.

I think S'pore waters are generally quite safe from any errant crocs.. In my line of work, I have been to many places in the region for offshore job projects from the Musi river to the rivers of Borneo.. We used to do some fishing from our vessel during our off days.. I learnt from the locals there that crocs tend to linger in waters where there are big prawns..

One interesting info I would like to share here.. There's this river at Pulau Ubin where you are able to get big prawns.. Regular anglers should know of that particular place.. Crocs have been sighted in the mangrove swamps there..

Harcore anglers are known to take the risk and try their luck there owing to the fact that the river is full of fishes like Mangrove jack and Seabass.. Some jokers even tried canoeing around the river not realising that one lunge from a croc would make them as a good meal for these predators..

Last edited:

nomorelisa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think S'pore waters are generally quite safe from any errant crocs.. In my line of work, I have been to many places in the region for offshore job projects from the Musi river to the rivers of Borneo.. We used to do some fishing from our vessel during our off days.. I learnt from the locals there that crocs tend to linger in waters where there are big prawns..

One interesting info I would like to share here.. There's this river at Pulau Ubin where you are able to get big prawns.. Regular anglers should know of that particular place.. Crocs have been sighted in the mangrove swamps there..

Harcore anglers are known to take the risk and try their luck there owing to the fact that the river is full of fishes like Mangrove jack and Seabass.. Some jokers even tried canoeing around the river not realising that one lunge from a croc would make them as a good meal for these predators..

There are crocs in Singapore especially in Sungei Buloh and also Lim Chu Kang. Long ago I used to fish trolling for mangrove jacks in mangrove-infested rivers in Johor, but did not see any,

croc2.jpg

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are crocs in Singapore especially in Sungei Buloh and also Lim Chu Kang. Long ago I used to fish trolling for mangrove jacks in mangrove-infested rivers in Johor, but did not see any,

croc2.jpg

I remembered not that long ago some stomper posted photos of croc swimming in the reservoir between Yishun and Yio Chu Kang.
As expected, the authorities claimed it was a monitor lizard.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

croc2.jpg

This pic should be the one taken last year by a Stomper who was canoeing with his friend when he encountered this large croc.. I believed these crocs all came from Johore..

Kranji beach, Lim Chu Kang , Senoko are the common places to see these Johore crocs relaxing after the short journey trip to S'pore..

Heard this story from my school mate who used to be a fishing fanatic.. One day he was kayaking with his partner at Lim Chu Kang when he was stopped by a Coast Guard boat.. The officer told him to be careful as he had seen crocs as big as my friend's kayak swimming in the waters near to an adventure camp there..