• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Female graduate wants govt to make housing more affordable to young couples

meowwind

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
From Temasek Times:

Female graduate wants govt to make housing more affordable to young couples

Posted by temasektimes on August 14, 2012

Please give us Singaporeans subsidies for housing? We need a roof over our heads before we can make babies. But by the time we earn enough money to make a down payment for a house, we no longer have the energy or youth to want to have babies.

If you want to make sure people don’t abuse this privilege, you can always make us sign an agreement of some sort to ensure we make babies~?

Right now, housing price is impractically expensive. If it can be made affordable for us, it’ll be one less burden. As a woman, time is a great factor when it comes to pregnancy. I won’t wanna have a baby by the time I reach my 30s since the optimal age to get pregnant is in the 20s. But, as a uni grad, I graduated with almost nothing in my bank (came from a poor family) and I’m already in my mid twenties.

How many more years do I need then, to finally be able to earn and save enough for a house? In fact, it’s not even just house I’ve to save up for if I want to form a family. Everything is so expensive in Singapore now. By the time I save enough for the downpayment (4 – 5 years), I’d be in my 30s already. And during this period of saving and scrimping, my life will be very mediocre.

By the time I have a baby, the vicious cycle repeats itself to commit to the baby, caring for it, schooling it and etc. At the end of the day, I’ll look back and realise my whole life have been wasted just because I started saving up to get a house…

So, in the least, make housing affordable for Singaporeans who have intention of having babies.

I am also in my early 30s, not yet married, just applied for BTO.

Housing as always been a big issue for ppl like me, not earning outrageously much, but sufficient to survive.

So when we have to fork out the cash, it usually has to be consolidated over years of savings and living a spend thirft life.

That is also considering all the loans that are concurrent (study loans, vehicle loans, or some kind of loans).

In the end you get a rented apartment for 99 years lease.

How to make baby when got there's already a problem owning a home???

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
What she says is very true. Housing price and cost of living has escalated to an such an extend that the young are having a tough time to decide, whether career comes first or settle down to have babies while they are still young.

About housing, if the government are serious about helping these group and not crowing about getting more FTs to replace the dwindling populance. At the very least they can do, is to offer them cheap-rental housing unit to kick start their family while they save enough to buy their permanent home. Same applies for those waiting for BTO/normal Hdb flats.

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you want to buy a big house, better dream on.

With prices for 4 room flats at mature estates hovering at $500-600k, you and your spouse better be earning $4k and above.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you are a young graduate you could probably qualify for one of the 1st world nations.

With the bleak prospects in Spore e.g. rampant new citizens, PAP created inflation, political instability, expensive car & housing,.... If you decide to stay in Spore be prepared for alot of suffering & hurt:rolleyes:

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
The gal who wrote the letter is stupid. Her argument is for the govt to subsidies her more so that she can have kids.
If she want more subsidies for having kids, go have more kids, the subsidies will come automatically.

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal
The gal who wrote the letter is stupid. Her argument is for the govt to subsidies her more so that she can have kids.
If she want more subsidies for having kids, go have more kids, the subsidies will come automatically.

yes , rightly so. beri beri stupid to ask for more subsidy. perhaps she did not know that to your master a 5-cent coin is as large as
a bullock cart.

yes , subsidies will come automatically after this has happened : gst went up another few % , income tax base is broadened , increase in pub and
conservancy charges , hdb price increased etc etc , at the end you will receive a $50 per month to buy the milk powder ,if you are lucky.
if you are not lucky they will ask : do you want to bring up your child like a prince ? do you need the best milk powder ?
meanwhile all the extra money from coe , toto , big sweep , 4-D don't know go where.

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the Gahmen really care, we wud hve not come
to tis stage. Now wayang everywhere, still refuse
to bring Pigeonhole price down in line as Public
Housing, make you pay till u die. Wonder if any of
their Kids have bot Pegionhole from HDB?

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
This housing price escalation is a timebomb that will detonate a decade later just like HDB's population policies.

You can blame the daft MBT and following that up is KBW.

KBW will have to shoulder more of the blame as the writing is clearly on the wall and he refuses to change the policies. Population and housing are interconnected. But PAP is only harping on immigrants to solve their problems.

They could have long ago settled this issues with the right set of policies. I think they still have some time before the point of no return but I won't be the one to point out how. I'm not paid to do their jobs. They should quit if they should ask how to get it done, or what do we want.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
now so many blogs and website like TM, TR etc. all wasting time, the only and easiest way to stop all these bullshit by them is...

VOTE THEM OUT!!! :oIo::oIo::oIo:

Last edited:

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
couples are stress by the high property and car prices. However , man are more stress with the amount they need to spend on the "once in a lifetime" wedding.
A 6 star hotel wedding, a overseas wedding photo shoot, a multi carat wedding ring, a downpayment for the car and the apartment. The couple have to slog another ten years to pay their debts. where is the mood to make babies.

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
If the Gahmen really care, we wud hve not come
to tis stage. Now wayang everywhere, still refuse
to bring Pigeonhole price down in line as Public
Housing, make you pay till u die. Wonder if any of
their Kids have bot Pegionhole from HDB?

We are doing very well indeed. per capita GDP skyrocketed in real terms, so many singkies snapping up condos even with hefty cooling measures, high COEs also singkies want too buy. Blame who? Blame your high salaries la.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal

We are doing very well indeed. per capita GDP skyrocketed in real terms, so many singkies snapping up condos even with hefty cooling measures, high COEs also singkies want too buy. Blame who? Blame your high salaries la.

Thanks Kinana. Your seemingly cogent arguments help to sieve out the true opposition supporters from the fake ones. :rolleyes:

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal

Pegionhole also not affordable for average Sinkies, u talk abt Condos, like tat better tos
20% living in condos and landed move to Ocean Drive.

meowwind

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
now so many blogs and website like TM, TR etc. all wasting time, the only and easiest way to stop all these bullshit by them is...

VOTE THEM OUT!!! :oIo::oIo::oIo:

That cannot come on a daily basis, so the only other way is just to feed information and built up nationalism in the people.

meowwind

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Acherli, she want more subsidy for housing.

The costs from the upfront payment.

Not enough CPF must top up cash.

Subscription rates for 1st timers are usually more than 1.

Cannot get ballot for HDB need to turn to private housing, which has higher upfront costs.

Get ballot for HDB, still need to confirm if can get loans, cannot get from HDB must get from Banks, which will mean cash upfront.

Wait for flat to build, also must save for renovation and furnishing, get married etc.

Then have kids. Then subsidies come in.