• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Feel like quiting my job

1sickpuppy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have any of you in these troubled times feel like just throwing in your resignation letter and call it quits? After working for 30yrs and retirement is just round the corner for me somehow I can't wait for it to come. I know some of you might think I am insensertive for that let me tell you I am sorry 1st. Everyday I wake up and drag myself to work I feel like throwing in that resignation letter that is in my locker for the last 3years show my boss the middle finger and just walk out. Everyday when I return from work my whole body ach and my mind just don't want to think of anything. Before I decide to quit I made a checklist of all the things I need to do before I can quit and I have completed it to the best of my abilities. Listed below is the checklist I might have missed out afew and if any of you would be kind enough can add it in for me so that I won't bump into it later please :smile:

1. Make sure all my housing loans are fully paid
2. All my offsprings are fully educated to the best of their abilities and are working
3. All my life insurance are fully paid
4. Have enough reserved capital in my savings ( $800k in cash )
5. Have a steady income after I resign ( rent from my house $2k and pension )
6. Keeping myself active ( Gardening , Plastic Modeling , Reading SBF and the net , Grooming my 2 dogs )

cowbellc

Alfrescian
Loyal
i juz throw my towel to my previous company and throw into another shit company.
Sooner i gonna throw myself off MRT.

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are rich and healthy...retirement is a good thing.
If you are poor and sick....retirement is NOT an option.

:o :( :o

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everyday when you go to work, just think that someone is paying for your time when you you go for your holiday. That's what my friend in the govt sector do. Think positive, when times are tough, they always think wah lucky I got people paying me when I am holidays. everyday, wake up and first thing you do after you thank god is to thank your boss for paying your salaries, your housing loan ,your car loans, your son's educations, your holidays abroad and your 3 meals everyday and since you work for him for 30 years your 800k savings all came from your boss. Pray that he stay healthy , wealthy and continuing to pay you. Thinking about it, I havent thank my boss today.

bart12

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are a lucky bartard who have already worked for 30 years..You are nearer to the end line than most of us here.For most of us, we are not even sure whether we can continue to earn a salary for 30 years. If you are willing to relocate to a cheaper country , you could have retired by now.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
2. All my offsprings are fully educated to the best of their abilities and are working
6. Keeping myself active ( Gardening , Plastic Modeling , Reading SBF and the net , Grooming my 2 dogs )

7. Get the hell out of that shithole asap. Singapore is the worst place in the world for a retiree.

Meltdown

Alfrescian
Loyal
How about travel the world to visit places you've never been to, but want to visit at least once during your lifetime!

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
1sickpuppy, if you really want to retire right now you actually can.
Move to Chiangmai or Phuket in Thailand(Bangkok definitely out).

I would like to add here though that we SG folks are a really stupid lot, keeps thinking of tsunami in Phuket when most of Phuket never saw a drop of the tsunami, keeps thinking of riots and protests in Bangkok when they they think of Thailand without realising Chiangmai and Phuket are faraway. Even if there is some fallout from political issues, it doesn't really affect the common folks.

Rent out your HDB flat, put your money into a bank which pays higher interest rates that our banks. I think Bangkok bank has a branch here in Singapore though i would think their rates here would be same as SG.

This way, you will have 2 sources of income, since your kids are all grown up, they can visit your big house when they come visit. You can even setup a small provisions/laundry/internet shop to cater to the many foreigners there to get 3 sources of income.

Food is cheap, utilities are cheap, alot of taxes are very minimal(you will smile when paying them) and cars and petrol are cheap too with no ERP and high roadtax. Medical facilities in these 2 places are good with pretty high standards for medicare. (Hey if its good enough for very picky British/German folks i know who are living there, its definitely good enough since they have lived in SG before too)

80k SGD can buy a large enough place (3-4 bedroom terrace with gated security) for a family of 4-6. This is normally leasehold hold though 30 x 3 = 90 years but is more worth it then the other retirement homes schemes here in SG. 90 years is a long time, at least your sons would still be able to use it as a holiday or even a retirement home after you pass on. Get the leasehold option if buying landed as the government there are wising up to the foreign ownership of houses through "shell" companies.

Condos there are mostly freehold and are pretty nice and cheap. Condos for studio size in Chiangmai are only about 20k but some are pretty expensive and even higher priced than landed property especially in Phuket. Just be wary of the location as well as the management and fees(typically only 20 SGD dollars a month) and you would be fine. A villa would cost about 80k SGD and up and sizewize aren't much bigger than the terrace houses. Only thing is maybe more privacy and of course a pool, etc.

This is my current plan for immediate retirement and you could do it too.

Explore other countries if you prefer, this is what i have researched and worked out after looking though most of our neighbouring and not so neighbouring countries in terms of living standards, relative safety and racial integration. Hope that this helps.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I would like to add here though that we SG folks are a really stupid lot,

The first words of wisdom that I have come across in this forum in a long time.:wink: I've never come across a more insular bunch of people than sinkies.

One would have thought that the extensive travel that many sinkies undertake in the course of business or pleasure would have broadened their minds considerably. However, it would seem that the brainwashing they have gone through has short circuited the brain cells and they view the rest of the world with blinkers firmly installed.

banova888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have any of you in these troubled times feel like just throwing in your resignation letter and call it quits? After working for 30yrs and retirement is just round the corner for me somehow I can't wait for it to come. I know some of you might think I am insensertive for that let me tell you I am sorry 1st. Everyday I wake up and drag myself to work I feel like throwing in that resignation letter that is in my locker for the last 3years show my boss the middle finger and just walk out. Everyday when I return from work my whole body ach and my mind just don't want to think of anything. Before I decide to quit I made a checklist of all the things I need to do before I can quit and I have completed it to the best of my abilities. Listed below is the checklist I might have missed out afew and if any of you would be kind enough can add it in for me so that I won't bump into it later please :smile:

Which country are you from?
Why didn't your government take care of you?
Does your country have a government in the first place?
Does the government! in your country! know what a GOVERNMENT Job! really means!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wow, a pension :eek:
You must be a civil servant. Though, nowadays even they don't all get a pension.

Financially you seem to be ok. So early retirement is an option which is rare in Spore. Have to keep an eye on your health though. Should you get a serious medical problem, you could be financially strained.

Better enjoy & relax while you can. Good idea to look into getting out of Spore for the better lifestyle & cheaper medical. Looking at the influx of foreigners & escalating prices, Spore is going to be hell for senior citizens. Even when LKY is gone there might be trouble. So better find a quieter & cheaper neigbouhood elsewhere :rolleyes:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

The problem with most sinkies is that they cannot see beyond sinkieland. They think that life should be this way but did not realise that there is an easier life just 2 hours flight from your sinkieland.

i advise those who are not married yet to get married oversea and stay a life there to experience what real life is. why waste your youth and life in a made-believe world that is not the truth.

1sickpuppy

Alfrescian
Loyal

1.Singapore
2.They do but not to my expectation and at a rather high cost
3.At the moment yes
4.I think they do but in a warp sense of way.

Last edited:

1sickpuppy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Going overseas to stay did cross my mind. Tried it out once by taking a 1 month leave ( Annual leave + Public Holiday + Off in Lue ). Went to stay with my inlaws in Malaysia and this is what I experience.
Good :
1. Everything is so much cheaper ( Food , Utilities Bill , Housing , etc...... )
2. People are more friendlyer during the day ( Bump into some asshole too )
Bad :
1. Language problem ( Some of the mats don't speak English at all got to learn mat language )
2. Treated like 2nd class citizens because of my yellow skin ( somehow the local chings accept it and didn't bother them much )
3. Need a car don't rely on their public transport or rather WHAT! public transport

I did consider Thailand but my mrs think I am out of my mind to move to a country where its at constant state of chaos ( coupe nearly every 5yrs ) and nobody understand me. I did bring up Indonesia and my wife's replied was unless I like my cucujiao cut off in the middle of the night and raped she will move back to stay with her mom in matland.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
7. Get the hell out of that shithole asap. Singapore is the worst place in the world for a retiree.

I am not too sure about that - if safety and a peace of mind are not two of your concerns. Neighbouring countries may be cheaper, but they dont provide you with a safety, knowing you are a foreigner, loaded and defenceless old couples or family. Even safety from natural hazards - like floods, typhoons, wild forest fires.

Sam - in Singapore we don't have the types of floods, droughts and forest fires that you do have in your adopted host country. And then may be we should be more adverturous like you and risk all the hazards.

And one more thing - It is plain stupid to burn the bridges that link you to your motherland - unless you have been treated like shit. Afterall the "shithole" is the very place you are created and came from!

The grass is never forever green on the other side , some day it will wither.

NissanViP

Alfrescian
Loyal

Your volunteer job is to blow LKY dying dickhead, my duty is fuck govt balls carrier like you.

But if you blow my dickhead, I'll give you 3 holidays specially for you in this forum from fucking your entire family.:biggrin:

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The problem with most sinkies is that they cannot see beyond sinkieland. They think that life should be this way but did not realise that there is an easier life just 2 hours flight from your sinkieland.

i advise those who are not married yet to get married oversea and stay a life there to experience what real life is. why waste your youth and life in a made-believe world that is not the truth.

OK, this time I agree with you!!!

Look beyond Singapore, stay in Malaysia and Thailand, cos is only max 2 to 3 hours flight away.

:smile: