• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Fandi Ahmad wants to retire in Batam – and people say they understand

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was in Batam last week & was visiting Nagoya Hill Mall & someone selling properties handed me a brochure. The prices ranged from 315,000,000 to 780,000,000 rupiah for landed property. At current exchange rate of SIN$1 to 9,800 rupiah that is about SIN$32,142 to SIN$79,591. This was for a house with garden & not a condo.

It's much cheaper than in JB.

If you work in or around harbourfront area then buy a yearly ferry pass you're set.....

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you work in or around harbourfront area then buy a yearly ferry pass you're set.....

The ferry ride takes about 1 hour So if you commute it will take about 2+ hours a day. Last ferry to Batam is about 9pm plus. If you get held up in the office in Spore it might be a problem.

However retiring in Batam is much cheaper than in JB because JB is the most expensive state in Malaysia to live in because of it's close proximity to Spore. The requirements for a retirement VISA is also lower in Indonesia.

For some Sporeans it may be the only retirement option. They can rent out their Spore flat & live cheaply in Indonesia.

NanoSpeed

Alfrescian
Loyal
The ferry ride takes about 1 hour So if you commute it will take about 2+ hours a day. Last ferry to Batam is about 9pm plus. If you get held up in the office in Spore it might be a problem.

However retiring in Batam is much cheaper than in JB because JB is the most expensive state in Malaysia to live in because of it's close proximity to Spore. The requirements for a retirement VISA is also lower in Indonesia.

For some Sporeans it may be the only retirement option. They can rent out their Spore flat & live cheaply in Indonesia.

I have not been to Batam for more than 10 years. I was there to attend to some insurance claims at a local resort. I didn't get the chance to travel around.

How is Batam compared to JB ? Any major shopping malls ?

I also remember vaguely that the landed properties at Batam are only leasehold.

borom

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Like what many has said here, nothing will change until the 60% realise they are like the frog slowly being boiled alive.

Why should we abandon our homes so that foreigners imported by the PAP can take over-boot the pappy out instead.

I find religion plays a part-eg Muslims will find it easier to retire in Batam/Malaysia, Buddhist in Thailand and Christians in Philippines ect2,although I have yet to see one retiring in Pinoyland.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have not been to Batam for more than 10 years. I was there to attend to some insurance claims at a local resort. I didn't get the chance to travel around.

How is Batam compared to JB ? Any major shopping malls ?

I also remember vaguely that the landed properties at Batam are only leasehold.

I'm not much a shopper & only visit the malls for the aircon & makan.

If I am taking a ferry to/from Batam City, I will usually visit the mall across the ferry terminal which is named Megamall. There is a overhead bridge connecting the terminal with the mall. There is/was a KFC, A&W, Ayam Penyet(same franchise as in JB & Spore),...etc

I prefer the Harbour Bay ferry terminal because it is nearer to Nagoya. Harbour Bay is located near to the old Batu Ampar ferry point. There used to be a Carrefour next door at the nearby mall but now it is closed. The mall has never been popular. Currently a part of this mall has been taken over by the Swiss Bell hotel. Although they are doing major renovations to the nearby buildings including the ferry terminal, I think it is a better terminal because it is less crowded than the Batam City ferrt terminal.

In Nagoya there older malls like Diamond Mall, BCS Mall,... The newer & bigger one is Nagoya Hill Mall. You have the greatest number of makan places there e.g. KFC, Pizza Hut, A&W, Solari, Ayam Penyet, donuts shops, various Indonesians & Japanese outlets. As part of the mall development there are building surrounding the mall with all kinds of businesses e.g. hotels, massages, salons, KTVs, ...etc

There is also City Walk Mall. It's I think supposed to be a mall :confused: Go take a look & decide for yourself:smile: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1639907

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
It's a pity Fandi managed to bounce back. I was hoping to hire him as a chauffeur. It would be quite a feather in my cap to boast to my friends at high tea that Fandi Ahmad is now serving as my chauffeur. Perhaps I could get him to show us some tricks about dribbling a football at my daughter's birthday party.

jw5

Loyal
He was hoping to hire you as a Subservient Family Butler. :biggrin:

It's a pity Fandi managed to bounce back. I was hoping to hire him as a chauffeur. It would be quite a feather in my cap to boast to my friends at high tea that Fandi Ahmad is now serving as my chauffeur. Perhaps I could get him to show us some tricks about dribbling a football at my daughter's birthday party.

NanoSpeed

Alfrescian
Loyal

Good idea. Your daughter can mix with Mats and soon you may have to rename yourself John Abdullah Tan.