• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Failure to pay medishield-life premiums is more serious offence than defaulting on National Service.

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Failure to pay medishield-life premiums is more serious offence than defaulting on National Service.

Because, if u default NS, worst they can do is send u to jail 1x for up to 3 years, and thats it...
But if u default on medishield-life premiums, not only do they send u to jail for as many times as u default, they can also fine u $5000, confiscate your bank accounts $$$ and your salary ("a 17 per cent penalty for late payment, as well as any costs incurred in recovering the money") to pay for any medishield-life premium arrears due with interest repeatedly (as long as u r charged with such offence):...

=========
Refuse to pay MediShield Life premiums? You could be jailed
Refuse to pay MediShield Life premiums? You could be jailed
SALMA KHALIK
THE STRAITS TIMES Jan 21, 2015
Singaporeans or permanent residents who refuse to pay MediShield Life premiums once the universal health insurance is launched later this year could find themselves behind bars if they try to leave the country.

The premiums will be compulsory - not just for people living here but also those who are living overseas for long periods - under proposals introduced in Parliament on Monday by Health Minister Gan Kim Yong.

Singaporeans and PRs living overseas will be entitled to coverage should they fall sick in the future and decide to return here for treatment.

The Bill also gives the insurance administrator the power to have money from a defaulter's wages and bank accounts diverted to pay the premiums.

The maximum penalty for defaulters who try to flee the country, spelt out in the MediShield Life Scheme Bill, is a fine of up to $5,000 and imprisonment of up to a year, or both.

The person would be allowed to leave the country on payment of the outstanding premium to an immigration officer or the police.

But he might also have to pay a 17 per cent penalty for late payment, as well as any costs incurred in recovering the money.

The planned tough stance is to cover the shortfall caused by people who can afford to pay their premiums but refuse, resulting in a heavier burden on other policyholders. The MediShield Life scheme provides everyone with protection against huge subsidised hospital bills for all their life, and reflects a caring society where everyone pulls together to help those in need.

But such penalties would not apply to people who have difficulty paying the annual premiums, which range from $130 for the young to $1,530 for people older than 90. Most people will not have a problem paying the premiums as they can be deducted in full from their Medisave funds.

People from families with a per capita income of $2,600 or less - that is, a total income of $13,000 a month for a family of five - will also receive subsidies. The lower the family income, the higher the subsidies - which range from 15 per cent to 50 per cent.

Pioneer Generation residents who were aged 80 or older last year will have their premiums covered fully by subsidies and Medisave top-ups.

Younger pioneers - those 65 and older last year who have been citizens since 1986 - regardless of their incomes, will also get heavy subsidies and top-ups that should cover more than half the cost of their premiums.

People who still have difficulty paying their premiums on top of these discounts can apply for additional help from the Government.

The Ministry of Health has stressed that penalties are intended only for those with the means but are recalcitrant about paying their premiums.

The MediShield Life Scheme Bill will be debated at the next sitting of Parliament.

The scheme is due to launch by the end of the year.

[email protected]

This article was first published on January 21, 2015.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

http://www.asiaone.com/refuse-pay-medishield-life-premiums-you-could-be-jailed

ChanRasjid

Alfrescian
Loyal
OMG! I just don't believe! Must be online falsehood.

How can it be. I have got universal coverage from the One Most High - I pray five times daily. Why can't I have the freedom to opt out of other shields?

Chan Rasjid.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
The latest shield is the CareShield ? So many types of shield even the insurance agent sometimes got confused ? Maybe the minister will wake up one morning
to come up with a new shield called LanJiao Shield. KNNCCB !!!!!

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually pap knows it's policies r crap. That why it's using legislation to enforce payments. I doubt such policies will benefit singkies. If these premiums paid can claim without no excess n covers all existing aliments n no exceptions etc. Singkies living in ang more lands will come back for treatment. Better than any mor lands policies

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
This issue is more than 2 years old.

Those who are living overseas don't have to pay. All they have to do is prove that they have residency in some other country and the government will grant a waiver.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Those who are living overseas don't have to pay. All they have to do is prove that they have residency in some other country and the government will grant a waiver.

Can I go stay in JB or Batam & prove that I have residency there, so I don't need to pay?...so many shields, eldershield, this shield that shield...gee! sir lancelot has only one..

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The main concern of any insurance scheme is to ensure its own viability by remaining profitable. I am glad that PAP has gone to no expense to ensure that sinkies and locals cannot game the system like what people are doing in Europe, Australia and NZ.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You don't pay your medisave when you work as self employed you go to jail, you don't pay your medishield premium....one day soon, they will hang you. All this, is, you are punished for owing yourself benefits...ha ha ha ha ha... is this the government you voted for?...the 70% just don't get it!

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Can I go stay in JB or Batam & prove that I have residency there, so I don't need to pay?...so many shields, eldershield, this shield that shield...gee! sir lancelot has only one..

As long as you can prove that you have permanent residency in Indonesia or Malaysia you will be granted a waiver. It is that simple.

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry Leongsam, not so simple/ U r wrong.
Must 1st prove u were not in Singapore for more than 140days cumulatively over the last 5 years. If u ever return (cumulatively) for more than 140days over 5years period, then must BACKPAY/ REPAY EVERYTHING IN ARREARS with 4% interest as well.

Singaporeans have to PREFUND the medishield-life premiums of new PR/citizens too?...

MOH info about 'prefunding': https://www.moh.gov.sg/content/moh_web/home/pressRoom/Media_Forums/2013/role-of-pre-funding-.html

Because medishield-life (as well as eldershield / CareShield-Life) are all designed predicated upon the concept of 'pre-funding', policies have been in place such as
1) 30% surcharge for non medishield members for 10yrs upon introduction of new compulsory medishield-life scheme.
2) Claw back of all unpaid medishield-life premiums (subject to compound 4% annual interest) for Singaporeans returning to reside in Singapore who had previously been given waiver of premiums because they declared plans to permanently reside outside of Singapore.

From https://www.moh.gov.sg/content/moh_web/medishield-life/resources---faqs/faqs.html#anchorName :
Cessation of Suspension of Premium Collection
1. Under what circumstances would I be required to pay the accumulated sum of premiums suspended from collection with compound interest?
You would only have to pay the accumulated sum of premiums suspended from collection with compound interest if (a) you choose to relocate back to Singapore, (b) no longer meet the eligibility criteria for suspension of premium collection, or (c) choose to claim and benefit from MediShield Life payouts. Once this happens, your suspension of MediShield Life premium collection will cease and you will have to pay the full sum of premiums suspended from collection, with compound interest.

2. What is the interest rate used to calculate the amount of premiums I have to pay if I choose to relocate back to Singapore?
The interest rate is currently 4% per year and will be subject to applicable laws as may be amended from time to time. Interest will be imposed and computed on a compounded basis on full insurance periods that have passed.
--------------
According to MOH, medishield-life charges higher premiums to young members according to the concept of 'prefunding' so that premiums paid in later years can be more affordable and that to be fair, if the fund later ballooned due to prefunding being excessive, then premium rebates and refunds will be given to every Singaporean (since this is a compulsory scheme)

However, nowhere on the MOH website can it be found that a foreigner accepting Singapore PR/citizenship also has to contribute to the prefunding like those who joined earlier (which he had failed to contribute to before his PR/citizenship began) despite medishield-life providing such healthcare benefits to the new PR/ citizen for life. There is also no mention on MOH website about new PR/Citizens having to undergo medical checkups to see if they had pre-existing medical conditions which might entail hefty healthcare costs and thus entail the usual 30% medishield-life premium surcharge for 10yrs before normalizing thereafter.

Perhaps to be fair to existing Singaporeans who have paid compulsory, 'pre-funded' medishield-life premiums, the level of prefunding can be ascertained based on the annual age group specific, per capita pro-rated insurance loss ratio such that data about what has been unpaid out as claims and channeled to the main insurance fund on an annualized per capita basis according to age group can be later retrieved and charged to the new PR/citizen wannabe so that new PR/citizens can also contribute their fair share and do not shortchange existing Singaporeans when joining the national medishield-life scheme.

Ditto, Singaporeans who have previously opted out of the medishield-life scheme should only compensate for the 'prefunded' portion of medishield-life and not the full premium because they did not reside in Singapore (<140days /5yr duration) nor make any medishield-life healthcare claims as according to the medishield-life waiver from participation conditions that they have to adhere to.

What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander as well. Existing Singaporeans both at home and abroad should not be treated worst or have to also prefund the healthcare costs of foreigners who apply for new PR/ citizenship in Singapore.

(Likewise to be fair to the PRs, Singapore should REFUND to them the unused 'prefund' portion of medishield-life should their PR not be extended due to their option of returning back home).

Last edited:

bic_cherry

Alfrescian
Loyal
As long as you can prove that you have permanent residency in Indonesia or Malaysia you will be granted a waiver. It is that simple.
From https://www.moh.gov.sg/content/moh_web/medishield-life/resources---faqs/faqs.html#anchorName :
Cessation of Suspension of Premium Collection
1. Under what circumstances would I be required to pay the accumulated sum of premiums suspended from collection with compound interest?
You would only have to pay the accumulated sum of premiums suspended from collection with compound interest if (a) you choose to relocate back to Singapore, (b) no longer meet the eligibility criteria for suspension of premium collection [stay in Singapore <140days /5yr duration, other proof of foreign residence, employment etc], or (c) choose to claim and benefit from MediShield Life payouts. Once this happens, your suspension of MediShield Life premium collection will cease and you will have to pay the full sum of premiums suspended from collection, with compound interest.

2. What is the interest rate used to calculate the amount of premiums I have to pay if I choose to relocate back to Singapore?
The interest rate is currently 4% per year and will be subject to applicable laws as may be amended from time to time. Interest will be imposed and computed on a compounded basis on full insurance periods that have passed.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
many sinkies living in u.s. i know spend more than 69 days per year “visiting” sg. and they are pr, not u.s. citizens. they don’t want to give up their sg citizenship. they will be impacted by the <140-day/5-year duration ruling. problem is when the clock is ticking and they kena caught in sg at the 5-year mark with over 350 days of stay in sg, they may be considered fugitives if they refuse to pay (owed) premiums plus compounded interest and run back to u.s. here it gets really interesting. by not becumming a u.s. citizen the sinkie pr who has any conviction or arrest warrant in sg will be detained by ice agents in u.s., has his her pr revoked, and gets deported (back) to sg. told these stubborn sinkies to becum u.s. citizens and get better protection in u.s. laws but they mai tia. die die must enjoy best of both worlds. they may end up with double jeopardy in the worst situation - separated from family in u.s., deported, fined and/or jailed in sg, and adding insult to injury pay back all premiums owed plus interest in whatever shills, oops shields, that crop up in sg like mushrooms. heads they win tails you lose.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Sorry Leongsam, not so simple/ U r wrong.
Must 1st prove u were not in Singapore for more than 140days cumulatively over the last 5 years. If u ever return (cumulatively) for more than 140days over 5years period, then must BACKPAY/ REPAY EVERYTHING IN ARREARS with 4% interest as well.

It is that simple. I am referring to citizens who no longer live in Singapore. If you have PR somewhere else but still spend time in Singapore on a regular basis you have obviously not emigrated you've simply gained PR somewhere else "just in case".

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is that simple. I am referring to citizens who no longer live in Singapore. If you have PR somewhere else but still spend time in Singapore on a regular basis you have obviously not emigrated you've simply gained PR somewhere else "just in case".
yes, doesn't apply to sinkies who have given up on sg and becum citizens of other cuntries.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Those who have given up citizenship won't have any CPF account to deduct from.
and then there are sinkies who have renounced yet kept their cpf balance intact in their accounts in sg. they have the utmost faith in cpf and the interest it generates. :biggrin: