• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ex-RSAF Col, now MD of MRT says " We were just not able to cope". No Shit?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
During his career, Sir Ralph Norris earned the reputation for being a kind of chief executive in Shining Armour that swoops in to save businesses in distress.

Although the former boss of ASB Bank, Air New Zealand and Commonwealth Bank of Australia, puts his success down to "good timing and opportunities", Norris, who is being inducted into the Business Hall of Fame this year, is known for his calmness in times of crisis.

One such crisis came in the form of a diagnosis of late-onset type 1 diabetes that forced him step down from his successful 10 year role as chief executive of ASB Bank in 2001

"I had probably been burning the candle at both ends. I was working in Asia and ASB at the same time, I pushed myself a bit hard," Norris says.

"These jobs are draining and you've got to have a good life and work balance," says the 65-year-old, who now exercises each morning and closely watches his diet and alcohol intake.

But the next year when his own health was still on the mend, he stepped up and took the job that nobody wanted, chief executive of ailing Air New Zealand.

At the time, the company was in dire straits announcing a $1.4 billion operating loss in 2001 following the collapse of Ansett. Air New Zealand was subsequently given a $885 million government bailout.

Norris, who was on the board of Air New Zealand at the time, took the top job on the agreement he would only stay for three years while grooming a successor.

"I went on a small committee to find a new CEO for the airline, but unfortunately we couldn't find anyone that had the prerequisite experience and who was willing to take it on.

"I went through a battery of [health] tests to ensure that I was capable of taking a fulltime CEO role ─ one that was going to be reasonably stressful."

Norris was under a considerable amount of pressure to salvage Air New Zealand from ruin, but took a calm approach while leading the company.

"I don't think workaholics make good chief executives, they end up creating high levels of stress within the organisation. I've never seen an organisation work particularly well when it's stressed," he says.

When he took the reigns, Norris says Air New Zealand had lost touch with its customers and was "flying planes and not flying people".

During his tenure the company cut around 1500 jobs.

"There were a lot of tough decisions...We had to let people go which is always hard."

Staff satisfaction was at an all time low and in the first three months in the job Norris set about re-engaging his workforce.

He initiated the 'mad, sad and glad' HR workshops, where employees were allowed a chance to vent their feelings on the company.

"I think it defused a lot of anger and angst within the organisation. That really set the tone for the turnaround in the past decade.

After three and-a-half years of changes, Norris stepped down in 2005 and Air New Zealand's then head of airlines, Rob Fyfe took over the top job.

Based on his success at Air New Zealand and ASB, Norris was approached to lead another company in distress, The Commonwealth Bank of Australia.

Norris spent six years at the bank and the company went from having the worst customer satisfaction in the industry to having the best.

During his tenure the bank went from being the fifth largest company on the ASX to the largest.

But his work was highly criticised. Norris says he became the Aussie media's "target of the month" when he raised mortgage rates by almost twice the Australian Reserve Bank's official rate on Melbourne Cup Day in 2010.

The issue saw a television broadcaster set up an effigy of Norris in a Sydney Street, inviting pedestrians to club his likeness with a baseball bat.

"Our house was graffitied as a result of that stuff and there were journalists parked outside our house... Our [family's] privacy was invaded.

"But that goes with the patch and I thought what was being done at the bank was appropriate."

Later, his A$16.2 million, salary came into question.

"My remuneration became a media issue but interestingly enough the shareholders supported the bank's remuneration strategies," he says.

Norris, who retired in 2011, never expected to become a serial chief executive. The former Lynfield College student has no tertiary education and became a cadet at Mobil Oil at age 18.

"I had a very inauspicious start. If someone had told me on my first day of work that I would end up being a chief executive and would work on both sides of the Tasman, I would have thought someone was pulling my leg," Norris says.

He joined ASB in the early 80s at a time when customers had to go to their bank branch to withdraw money. Starting in the company's IT department, he trained at IBM's Auckland-based centre to become a computer programmer for the bank's digital upgrade.

"That was really the launching pad of my career in many ways," Norris says.

"That training meant I got the opportunity to interact with senior management and to work on major projects for the bank."

He became the bank's chief information officer at age 41 when the company became the first bank to introduce ATMs in New Zealand.

Norris got ASB's top job in 1991. He humbly says this was a case of being in the right part of the business at the right time.

"The advantage for me was that the bank was going through a time when all the manual systems were being upgraded.

"[The chief executive] needed to have a good understanding of all of the bank's operations which gave me the opportunity to contribute to the strategic direction."

Although his technical knowledge became the backbone of his career, Norris says his business success stems from understanding people.

"My view on business is that it's all about people, people, people - both within the organisation and the customers.

"Empathy is a very strong component of leadership

"People don't really care about what you know, they want to know that you care."

Now retired from chief executive roles, Norris has more time for tennis and spending time with his wife Pamela, three children and five grandchildren.

He is still on the board of Origin Energy, Fletcher Building and Fonterra and couldn't resist playing Mr Fix-it once again last year, chairing the dairy company's botulism scare enquiry.

BIO

Sir Ralph Norris

Born: 1949

Career: Managing director at ASB, Air New Zealand and Commonwealth Bank of Australia

Family: Married to Pamela. Children Jenny, Kelly, and Richard.

Honours: Laureate of the Business Hall of Fame 2014, Chief Executive of the year in 1997 and 2004 and Executive of the Decade in 2010. Was appointed a Distinguished Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit in 2006, later redesignated to a Knight Companion of the NZ Order of Merit in 2009.

HALL OF FAME
The New Zealand Business Hall of Fame was created in 1994 by Young Enterprise Trust, and is presented each year with the support of Fairfax Media, Auckland Chamber of Commerce and Kaimira Estate. The 2014 gala dinner will be held on Thursday 7 August at The Langham, Auckland. Tickets can be ordered by phone on 04 570 0452 or online at www.businesshalloffame.co.nz.

- Stuff

cobragold

Alfrescian
Loyal
This ex-airforce general should be in the aviation or logistics industry instead of dealing with trains.

Prior to joining SMRT, Mr Lee was Head of Air Engineering and Logistics with the Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF). Mr Lee was with the RSAF for over 20 years and during his time there, he held various senior leadership roles and directed fleet management, competency and resource optimisation programmes. He also honed his expertise in engineering and maintenance, airworthiness, integrated supply chain and life cycle management for the entire fleet of aircraft and weapons systems.

Mr Lee holds a degree in Aeronautical Engineering from the Ecole Nationale de l’Aviation Civile in France, and an Executive Master of Business Administration from the National University of Singapore.

If I am not mistaken ,lee left the air force as a ME 8, that should be a one star general. I am very sure that he cannot do any actual physical work on the train or aircraft. Only NATO.

rotiprata

Alfrescian
Loyal
many of us oredi know that the mrt is almost 30 y... it's suffering material fatigue due, wear & tear due to aging
was regular and proper maintenance overlooked at the expense of revenue?
is the aging horse design to take on such a heavy load or a pop of 6.9 Million?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
many of us oredi know that the mrt is almost 30 y... it's suffering material fatigue due, wear & tear due to aging
was regular and proper maintenance overlooked at the expense of revenue?
is the aging horse design to take on such a heavy load or a pop of 6.9 Million?

Anyone with basic electrical engineering knowledge knows that ceramic insulators do not last forever especially those which are constantly subjected to stress and the elements. They crack, leak and trap moisture which leads to an increase in the coefficient of conductivity. They also need to be kept clean or leakage currents will develop.

The revelation that the same insulators have been sitting under the 3rd rail for 30 years is absolutely shocking!!!! :eek:

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
During his career, Sir Ralph Norris earned the reputation for being a kind of chief executive in Shining Armour that swoops in to save businesses in distress.

Sir Ralph Norris

Born: 1949

Career: Managing director at ASB, Air New Zealand and Commonwealth Bank of Australia

Family: Married to Pamela. Children Jenny, Kelly, and Richard.

Honours: Laureate of the Business Hall of Fame 2014, Chief Executive of the year in 1997 and 2004 and Executive of the Decade in 2010. Was appointed a Distinguished Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit in 2006, later redesignated to a Knight Companion of the NZ Order of Merit in 2009.

HALL OF FAME
The New Zealand Business Hall of Fame was created in 1994 by Young Enterprise Trust, and is presented each year with the support of Fairfax Media, Auckland Chamber of Commerce and Kaimira Estate. The 2014 gala dinner will be held on Thursday 7 August at The Langham, Auckland. Tickets can be ordered by phone on 04 570 0452 or online at www.businesshalloffame.co.nz.

- Stuff

But Sir, these kind of 'SIR' would not want to have anything to 'do with Sinkie' let alone save a Sinkie organisation in distress. LoLoLoLoL

soIsee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I honestly used to be very proud of the way Singapore ran things. I boasted about it to my Ang Moh friends.

Sadly those days are gone.

Although Old fart LKY was 'fucked up' in his later years, it was his earlier years when he was in a 'capable and mentally alert state' that he had Sinkland run in the 'way things should work'... like you said.

But Sinkie did not 'wake the fuck up' after he gave up his PM role and instead took his words that those after him. would be able to run Sinkland 'even better' with 'MORE GOOD YEARS'.

For their misguided belief, Sinkie are now paying the price for it! LoLoL

jw5

Loyal
They seemed to cope very well when they were offered the jobs and when they got their salaries, promotions, increments and bonuses. What happened? :rolleyes:

NanoSpeed

Alfrescian
Loyal
They made a mistake and they always explained by saying we chose this mistake over another bigger mistake. So we have to thank them for giving us urine because they could have given us shit.

Confuseous

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If I am not mistaken ,lee left the air force as a ME 8, that should be a one star general. I am very sure that he cannot do any actual physical work on the train or aircraft. Only NATO.

Regardless of rank, the generals turned corporate chiefs have been total flops in the real world, let alone this piece of useless minnion.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
A real bunch of fools who doesn't have any idea what is preventive maintenance.

Ladies and gentlemen... May I present to you: The top echelon of the 4G Army representing the Republic of Singapore... Teehee :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What kind of expertise does he have that justify his current position?

The CEO should be asked to answer.

Then the SMRT board should be asked to answer what expertise does the CEO bring to the organization?

It is obvious to all sinkees except for the PAPpies that that the whole bunch of ex-military idiots have no expertise to run a mass transit system.

The whole SMRT board should be fired along with the management team.

Bring in a team from overseas that truly have transit expertise to restore the system..

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
What kind of expertise does he have that justify his current position?

The CEO should be asked to answer.

Then the SMRT board should be asked to answer what expertise does the CEO bring to the organization?

It is obvious to all sinkees except for the PAPpies that that the whole bunch of ex-military idiots have no expertise to run a mass transit system.

The whole SMRT board should be fired along with the management team.

Bring in a team from overseas that truly have transit expertise to restore the system..

I will tell you how it works. These ex generals are parachuted into all these companies but they know sweet fuck all. So, how do they do it? To be CEO of a mass transit system, you should have started out as a train driver or something like that and work your way up to the top after decades of hard work, personal sacrifice and personal upgrading. Obviously, Desmond Quack did not do any of this.

These parachuted PAP cronies rely on their assistance to do all the heavy lifting in the org. These assistants are the real career men, and have been in the org for a long time and know the business very well. By right, they are the ones that should have been promoted into the top job instead of these cronies. Whether a ex general or Saw look good or not depends on these people. they are the real people that are running the show. But over time, they either resign due to frustration at not getting the top job, due to mistreatment by some ex general that is too big for his shoes or just from retirement. Therefore, each successive wave of cronies parachuted into the job will have less and less of these experienced professionals that can carry the load for them. This is what happened at SMRT.

Some experienced top guys left went Saw became CEO, whether due to lay offs or just cnanot stand the bitch. More left when Dessie came in with his SAF entourage. hence all the potentially good people that can be groomed are leaving because they have no prospects at SMRT. The next SAF general parachuted in after Dessie will be left with even less qualified people than Dessie. In the end, the professionalism gets so watered down, a disaster waits to happen.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A real bunch of fools who doesn't have any idea what is preventive maintenance.

Maybe they do know what is preventive maintenance, but they skimped on it so more money can enter their own pockets.

And if any problems occur? "The former bitch queen Saw Phaik Hwa caused it, we're not responsible."

So smart of these SAF scholars. :biggrin:

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Some experienced top guys left went Saw became CEO, whether due to lay offs or just cnanot stand the bitch. More left when Dessie came in with his SAF entourage. hence all the potentially good people that can be groomed are leaving because they have no prospects at SMRT. The next SAF general parachuted in after Dessie will be left with even less qualified people than Dessie. In the end, the professionalism gets so watered down, a disaster waits to happen.

They should learn from the HKies. And HKies come much cheaperer and betterer. Huge chunk of problems can be eliminated. If Transport Minister in blur, MRT #1 will be blurererererer.

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
one of the annoying problems bart workers face is the constant presence of critters. they chew cables and insulation, especially in tunnels where there's rodent infestation. many get electroculated on the 3rd rail, and their carcasses need to be cleared. electrical wiring and cabling require regular checks. otherwise, exposed wiring will short and trip the power on a wet day. at least in sg, it's so clean you don't have critter issues. :p

squirrel underneath the 3rd rail.....

View attachment 22487

like that our armoured cable installed underground long ago already gone case.............. but why still functioning??

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe they do know what is preventive maintenance, but they skimped on it so more money can enter their own pockets.

And if any problems occur? "The former bitch queen Saw Phaik Hwa caused it, we're not responsible."

So smart of these SAF scholars. :biggrin:

Aren't we lucky that they are not maintaing our nuclear plant????????????????