• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Education Hub of Degree Mill?

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xc9zBujD0Yg&hl=zh_TW&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xc9zBujD0Yg&hl=zh_TW&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Recently there are a few ADVERSE reports on Singapore's "Education Hub". First of all, two private schools own by a man were suing NTUC Income and CASE for withdrawing their accredited status which made them lose money.

Then there were two foreign reports which are very adverse on Singapore's Education Hub. The first one is from Malaysian Insider. According to the report, Singapore has been "black listed" by Oregon’s Office of Degree Authorisation (ODA) as "degree mill" which chunks out unaccredited degrees.

This is a serious matter as it affect our international standing. Imagine if you are applying for a job in America and even when you have a NUS or NTU degree but Americans have such a bad impression of Singapore as a "degree mill", you may just lose that opportunity right away just by the virtue of perception of your prospective employer.

The other report is even more damaging to the "Singapore Brand". The report is actually a TV program being broadcast in China CCTV.

Singaporeans are generally regarded as trustworthy by the Chinese because Singapore is known to be a place that follows strict rules. The so call "Singapore Brand" is simply based on our trustworthiness in having upright people who seldom break the rules or the law of the land.

However, this documentary portray Singapore as a land of the cheat, with Education institutions cheating on the students in providing unaccredited paper qualifications that aren't even recognized by the Singapore system at all.

To me, this is a big scandal. What happen to our good Singapore brand name? Has it been totally tarnished by the overly aggressive move of PAP wanting to make Singapore an Education Hub? Or just any HUB that they are so obsessed with?

I guess the whole system under PAP is behaving in a cult manner. Whenever someone in the great leadership position mention some "novel" idea, the people down there all follow like bees to the honey. Ever since the concept of HUB being mentioned, suddenly you hear all sorts of HUBs being created or pursued, quite mindlessly.

In this case, it seems that we have gone overboard. There is apparently no proper guidelines, control mechanism and supervision from the relevant authorities. What we are witnessing is basically everyone trying to push over their responsibility when something goes wrong. Should the Minister in charge of Ministry of Education be held responsible for this mess of having unqualified institutions chunking out unaccredited degrees to the consumers, be it local or foreign? Or just the MP in charge of CASE?

It seems that so far, nobody is interested in clearing up this mess. How long should we tolerate should attitude of no accountability and irresponsibility?

Goh Meng Seng

<blockquote><span style="font-weight:bold;"><a href="http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/index.php/world/44648-singapore-on-list-of-degree-mill-countries">
http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/index.php/world/44648-singapore-on-list-of-degree-mill-countries</a>

Singapore on list of ‘degree mill’ countries

SINGAPORE, Nov 26 — Degree mills that churn out ‘graduates’ at the drop of a hat are the sort of dodgy outfits we link with shadier parts of the world, but the problem is a lot closer to home and threatens to harm Singapore’s name as an education centre.

Small as it is, the country appears six times on a list compiled by Oregon’s Office of Degree Authorisation (ODA).

The American state has strict laws regarding the use of qualifications from unaccredited institutions and those dubbed “degree mills” or “degree suppliers”.

It requires that a person’s business cards, CV and letterhead declare if his degree is from an unaccredited university.

The term — degree or diploma mill — has been used in the United States and around the world to refer to “substandard or fraudulent colleges that offer potential students degrees with little or no serious work”.

They range from those which are simple frauds — an address to which people send money in exchange for a degree — to those that require some nominal work from the student but do not require the college-level study normally required for a degree.

Oregon’s laws make its list one of the most comprehensive compiled by a state government body in the United States.

It names six institutions here as offering unaccredited qualifications: Cranston University, Templeton University, Trident University of Technology, Vancouver University Worldwide, Westmore University and Lee Community College.

Names of institutions go on the list if there are queries made by members of the public. Checks are carried out on the status of the university both in the US and with foreign governments before they are put on the list.

Checks by The Straits Times found that Westmore University’s website is hosted by a company operating out of Science Park.

Vancouver University Worldwide, which was ordered to be shut by the Canadian government two years ago, had offered its courses here for a few years.

Several insurance industry professionals have MBAs, while some even have doctorates, from the university.

A few Singaporeans were also found to have degrees from Cranston University and Templeton University. Both are listed as online universities, based in Singapore and possibly Nevada.

The Palin School of Arts and Design in Bras Basah lists Trident University of Technology degrees, but Palin officials say that currently they are not offering the degree programme in advertising and design.

ODA’s list says Trident was denied approval by the state of Wisconsin and it was never legal in New Jersey as claimed.

But what was surprising was the presence on the list of Lee Community College. The private school has a CaseTrust for Education quality mark and is popular for its diploma courses in counselling and psychology.

The Straits Times found that the school, in Maxwell Road, also offers a degree from the American University for Humanities (AUH), which a staff member said is accredited by the American Academy for Liberal Education.

ODA’s website has this to say about the American university: “New name for American University of Hawaii, which was closed by court order. Operations claiming accreditation from The American Academy for Liberal Education in Lebanon do not meet Oregon legal requirements and degrees are not valid here. Degrees issued from Delaware are not valid in Oregon.”

Although the school has been offering degree courses for years, a check with the Ministry of Education (MOE) revealed that Lee Community College is not approved to offer any external degree programmes.

An MOE spokesman said the matter would be investigated.

It warned that new regulations require all private schools to seek permission from the new statutory board, the Council for Private Education (CPE) before offering external degree programmes, including online programmes.

Non-compliance may lead to deregistration of the private school and prosecution of its officials.

Lee Community College’s chief executive, Dr Frederick Toke, said the school spent over US$100,000 (RM338,000) to seek accreditation for the degree programme, which was from the American University for Humanities in Tbilisi, Georgia.

It was accredited by the American Academy for Liberal Education, a recognised accrediting agency in the US for liberal arts institutions, but was rejected by the MOE.

Toke did not explain why the school continued to offer the degree despite the MOE rejection. He would only say that the school is now seeking MOE approval to run other degree programmes from the US.

Alan Contreras, the administrator for Oregon’s ODA, said Singapore never used to feature on the ODA’s list.

“The problem Singapore has is that it opened the door to private post-secondary education without establishing a serious governmental oversight process to make those providers prove that they are legitimate,” he said.

“In effect, your government has allowed its name to be used inappropriately because only government authorised colleges can issue genuine degrees.”

Contreras also warned: “Without enforcement of standards by the government, anything goes. This is why the reputation of degrees issued in Singapore is falling.”

The MOE said that under the new laws that will come into effect by the end of the year, the Council for Private Education will run checks on these claimed partnerships.

“These measures will help ensure that dubious programmes offered by degree mills will not be permitted by CPE to be offered in Singapore,” said the spokesman.

But the new laws have come too late for a 26-year-old who attended evening classes and did course work for over three years for an AUH degree from Lee Community College.

The administrative manager hopes the new laws for private schools will ensure that only valid degrees are offered here.

“I took up the degree because I was interested in a counselling career. I spent more than US$20,000 of my hard-earned money to study for the degree. Now I find out that it is worthless.”</span>

</blockquote>

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do pity Singaporeans who have worked hard in completing their degrees in NUS, NTU and other established local institutions. They are going to be tarred by the same brush. As we tend to use generic names for our institutions such as "National", "Singapore", "Management", etc, it puts us behind such brand names as Yale, Cambridge, Harvard, Caltech etc and cannot be easily identified. Foreign employers would rather be safe than sorry by not hiring anyone from Singapore.

Our Cabinet does not have to worry as they all have qualification from branded teritiary institutions except for WKS.

How we allowed CASE to manage this is beyond me.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Then there is issue of fake degrees held by people associated with established insititutions such as MDIS where one of its governing council member had a fake PHD that was disclosed by SPH.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
I haven't been back in a while, but is it still the case in Singapore that employers prefer to hire someone with an overseas degree then a local one? I remember that its been the case that overseas degrees were preferred between candidates even if its from NUS or NTU. So this case of Singapore having a "degree mill" reputation is not a surprise at all. By the way, I checked out the Oregon accreditation website, seems like all degrees from Singapore are listed as being "unaccredited". However, the site also states, the degrees are acceptable based on ODA evaluation.

http://www.osac.state.or.us/oda/unaccredited.aspx

Universitas 21 Global Singapore International degrees acceptable in Oregon based on ODA evaluation.

Churuya

Alfrescian
Loyal
The people at all stat boards have KPI tunnel vision.

Is it easier to lower standards to give the person a degree, or, improve teaching methods and learning environment to enlighten him?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
It continues to be the case for MNCs and foreign employers. In a due diligence exercise before intended purchase of a company, its common practice to assess the quality of staff holding tertiary education. 1st world tertiary institutions carry double the points in the ranking compared to local U.

I haven't been back in a while, but is it still the case in Singapore that employers prefer to hire someone with an overseas degree then a local one? I remember that its been the case that overseas degrees were preferred between candidates even if its from NUS or NTU..

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
But NUS, NTU ranking high also mah. So that should count as something? Anyway, like its been said before, the rankings of NUS and NTU are still BS. I suppose MNCs, foreign employers don't just rely on rankings to determine who they hire.

It continues to be the case for MNCs and foreign employers. In a due diligence exercise before intended purchase of a company, its common practice to assess the quality of staff holding tertiary education. 1st world tertiary institutions carry double the points in the ranking compared to local U.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
A lot has to do with perception and convenience. Its easier to lump all 1st world qualifications together rather than pick and choose. Singapore as a degree mill will make it even harder to get a profile.

The ranking are for valuation of companies prior to takeover or purchase. Nothing to do with hiring staff.

Anyway, many MNC s are now going back to assessing A levels and IB results to remove the wheat from the chaff as getting a degree seems rather easy and determining the standard of the tertiary institution is quite tedious. Especially with course done remotely and not within the country where the U is. Thats the reason why there is push towards IB. 42 to 45 will open more doors than a bolt cutter.

But NUS, NTU ranking high also mah. So that should count as something? Anyway, like its been said before, the rankings of NUS and NTU are still BS. I suppose MNCs, foreign employers don't just rely on rankings to determine who they hire.

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Dear Scroobal,

It is quite an irony indeed. The PAP leadership has been stressing on the "Singapore brand" just a couple of years ago but now they have screwed it up totally.

And there are actually reader of my blog that does not think that Ministry of Educatin shouldn't be blamed! I am at a loss of words right now.

Goh Meng Seng

I do pity Singaporeans who have worked hard in completing their degrees in NUS, NTU and other established local institutions. They are going to be tarred by the same brush. As we tend to use generic names for our institutions such as "National", "Singapore", "Management", etc, it puts us behind such brand names as Yale, Cambridge, Harvard, Caltech etc and cannot be easily identified. Foreign employers would rather be safe than sorry by not hiring anyone from Singapore.

Our Cabinet does not have to worry as they all have qualification from branded teritiary institutions except for WKS.

How we allowed CASE to manage this is beyond me.

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"How we allowed CASE to manage this is beyond me."

"Then there is issue of fake degrees held by people associated with established insititutions such as MDIS where one of its governing council member had a fake PHD that was disclosed by SPH."

Aha, these are the reasons why it is so "Uniquely Singapore". To begin with it is sheer madness and incompetence to allow Case to handle these institutions offering substandard" degrees.All they did was to distance themselves when something bad happens. They are classic jiakliaobees; cowpehcowbu and finger-pointing.

As for the issue of people in "high" places owning and brandishing their fake PHDs or Masters, it again begs the perennial question why there is no direct govt enforcement agency in a 1st world nation, an education hub no less, to assess, evaluate, grade and approve all degrees offered here. Is it so difficult for the govt to be the ultimate accreditation agency? It is a simple question of wanting to take up the responsibility. Short and sharp!:rolleyes:

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I don't know why they get CASE to manage the whole educational institution which does not belong to the main stream system in Singapore as well. It is a kind of weird because normally any business entity that want to provide educational service, they will have to get approval or license from MOE.

Goh Meng Seng

"How we allowed CASE to manage this is beyond me."

"Then there is issue of fake degrees held by people associated with established insititutions such as MDIS where one of its governing council member had a fake PHD that was disclosed by SPH."

Aha, these are the reasons why it is so "Uniquely Singapore". To begin with it is sheer madness and incompetence to allow Case to handle these institutions offering substandard" degrees.All they did was to distance themselves when something bad happens. They are classic jiakliaobees; cowpehcowbu and finger-pointing.

As for the issue of people in "high" places owning and brandishing their fake PHDs or Masters, it again begs the perennial question why there is no direct govt enforcement agency in a 1st world nation, an education hub no less, to assess, evaluate, grade and approve all degrees offered here. Is it so difficult for the govt to be the ultimate accreditation agency? It is a simple question of wanting to take up the responsibility. Short and sharp!:rolleyes:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
education in sg is now a bizness ... very soon, it'll cum under auntie-u-c ...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
MOE is indeed manages the approval process. But the issue is CASE providing the accredition process. Its a major revenue stream for CASE. The CASE Trust logo is what students are told to look out for and what Insurance companies require as part of MOE fullfillment requirement.

Take the case of retailer "Audio House". Their adverts are very misleading but they will display the CASE Trust logo very prominently. CASE Trust logos are now a joke.

I don't know why they get CASE to manage the whole educational institution which does not belong to the main stream system in Singapore as well. It is a kind of weird because normally any business entity that want to provide educational service, they will have to get approval or license from MOE.

Goh Meng Seng

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
This is something that I don't really understand. Since MOE is the one who issue the relevant licenses which means it must have done some research on the applicants' background and the kind of curriculum that they provide, they should be the one who take the responsibility for making sure that the standards of the programs provided by these institutions are up to par.

CASE? CASE doesn't even know how to teach! CASE knows nuts about teaching and academic curriculum! It is really a big joke indeed!

Goh Meng Seng

MOE is indeed manages the approval process. But the issue is CASE providing the accredition process. Its a major revenue stream for CASE. The CASE Trust logo is what students are told to look out for and what Insurance companies require as part of MOE fullfillment requirement.

Take the case of retailer "Audio House". Their adverts are very misleading but they will display the CASE Trust logo very prominently. CASE Trust logos are now a joke.

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
[SIZE=-1]Another STUDENT in S'pore[/SIZE].So many talented students in S'pore studying for what DEGREE or Diploma ah?

So now more ammo for you to fight your case ah.
[SIZE=-1]

Singapore Classifieds: Other Services Ads [/SIZE] <table border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="3" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td bgcolor="#eeeeee"> Young students!MeiJia ÃÀ¼Ñ9381XXXX </td> </tr> </tbody></table>
<center>
p238252n1.jpg

</center> [SIZE=-2] ID#: 238252 ; Date posted: December 3, 2009; Expire date: January 2, 2010; 25 visits [/SIZE]

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yet another student...so many....

4132940.jpg

Don't think this one was conned. This is a PERFECT EXAMPLE of a prostitute coming to S'pore under the guise of being a student.

4460054.jpg

6208439.jpg

Si Jia 思嘉 Introduction

I am Si Jia <思嘉>
23yrs old, currently Student.
Willing to provide soothing and relaxing
sexy massage service at $80 per hour.
I am willing to serve and confirm you will be satisfied.
You can call me at 8120-3XXX. (I have deleted last 4 hp numbers on purpose as I do not wish to promote her. Her hp number is FULLY displayed in the ads as are her proud photos.) :eek:
MY 34C 25 34.
47kg .Chinese only.
Thank you!

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
Name: Mi Xue
Nationality: PRC - Guangdong
Looks: 7.5/10 (One look, confirmed a Teacher)
Body: 8/10 (Perfect Body Curve) (See pics)
Boobs: B Cup, Very soft with nice light brown Nipples
Height: 1.65m
Wight: 48kg
BJ: 7/10(Suck you Like no Tomorrow) Depend on Chemistry for BBBJ
FJ: 8/10 (Tight & Wet Wet, and very horny when you hit her G spot)
Cathbath: 6.5/10 (SHIOK SHIOK)
Pussy: Nice thin clit, no smell no bushy
Fingering: 8/10 (Responsive and wet easily)
Massage: 9.0/10 (3 Years Experince)
Lick & Suck: 7/10 (Very Responsive)
Frenching: Depend on Chemistry
Dos: Massage, HJ, FJ
Donts: AR, AJ, RAW & Prevert Request
Damage: $ 80 / 1 Shot / 1 hour (Exclude cd & room)

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another...

Age23 student..girlfriend-like attitude <!-- END TITLE AND ICONS -->

Written by wanwan November 22, 2009 Hits: 953 <!-- FAVORITES -->
favorite.png
favorite_add.png
<!-- LISTING MANAGER -->

<!-- BEGIN LISTING DETAILS --> <!-- LISTING IMAGES --> <!-- MAIN IMAGE -->

<!-- RATINGS --> <table class="rating_table" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="rating_label">
review_user.png
</td> <td class="rating_stars">

</td> <td class="rating_value">0.0 (0)</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <!-- CUSTOM FIELDS --> Review of Hookers

<table class="fieldGroupTable" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="fieldLabel">Nationality</td> <td class="fieldValue"> China
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="fieldLabel">Race</td> <td class="fieldValue"> Chinese
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="fieldLabel">Looks</td> <td class="fieldValue"> 8 </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="fieldLabel">Boobs</td> <td class="fieldValue"> C </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="fieldLabel">Massage</td> <td class="fieldValue"> 8 </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="fieldLabel">Rates, location, booking</td> <td class="fieldValue"> near city plaza
$70/hr (room /cd excluded) </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="fieldLabel">Anal Job</td> <td class="fieldValue"> No </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="fieldLabel">Full Job</td> <td class="fieldValue"> full job </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="fieldLabel">Frenching</td> <td class="fieldValue"> associated with lots of french-kissing and girlfriend-like attitude </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="fieldLabel">Blow Job</td> <td class="fieldValue"> done without a condom </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="fieldLabel">Girl Friend Experience and Services</td> <td class="fieldValue"> associated with lots of french-kissing and girlfriend-like attitude </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="fieldLabel">Body & Skin</td> <td class="fieldValue"> smooth </td></tr></tbody></table>