• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Economic News

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sarcasm!!

Johor not expensive. Why should be number 1?

It feel good to be no. 1. It is like driving a 7 series. You feel affluent, upper class, one above others.
Nothing sarcastic. Fact is a fact. JB not worth mentioning.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
It feel good to be no. 1. It is like driving a 7 series. You feel affluent, upper class, one above others.
Nothing sarcastic. Fact is a fact. JB not worth mentioning.

Please lah, Johor is the most friking expensive place in Malaysia, if you are earning RM and Johor Salary, average sales staff only paid RM900, bloody bowl of noodles cost RM5.00 to RM5.50, my prawn noodles at Taman Sentosa in dingy dirty coffeshop costs me RM9.00 even after conversion, Singapore still has some places selling $2.50 noodles, definitely over priced and expensive, petrol also expensive if your earn RM, a Vios costs RM70k, try to buy one if your salary only RM3 to RM4k.

This was highlighted to me by my Malaysian friend, he said at most most 20% of Malaysian work in Singapore, which is an astounding 2 plus million Malaysians, he say 80% still earn RM and lower RM salary and they find Johor especially unlivable.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please lah, Johor is the most friking expensive place in Malaysia, if you are earning RM and Johor Salary, average sales staff only paid RM900, bloody bowl of noodles cost RM5.00 to RM5.50, my prawn noodles at Taman Sentosa in dingy dirty coffeshop costs me RM9.00 even after conversion, Singapore still has some places selling $2.50 noodles, definitely over priced and expensive, petrol also expensive if your earn RM, a Vios costs RM70k, try to buy one if your salary only RM3 to RM4k.

This was highlighted to me by my Malaysian friend, he said at most most 20% of Malaysian work in Singapore, which is an astounding 2 plus million Malaysians, he say 80% still earn RM and lower RM salary and they find Johor especially unlivable.

Really expensive? Okok..I believe you since you spend many of your weekends in JB :smile:

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Really expensive? Okok..I believe you since you spend many of your weekends in JB :smile:

It is expensive for Malaysians earning RM and RM rate wages, double whammy. Johor is cheap when compared on international scale with foreign currency.

rotikok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wonder you know what you are talking.
A National Budget is derive from govt. proposed income for next year against national spending also for next year.
Already there were budget deficits for last few years that a current Budget has to be revised downwards.
This also means that for the last few years, the govt. is spending much more than when they could earn plus a keep shrinking national reserve.
So? What u said anything contradict with what i said? You think federal budget cannot deficit further? Lesss than 60% of debt to gdp ratio, by any developed country standard, still low. Rapid project still ongoing ah, not true meh?
Another misleading article to sensationalize the news. What criteria are they using? Usually it's the cost of a car and private property. Being a small city state, naturally these will be expensive.

For most purposes, a car is not necessary due to the excellent transport connectivity and affordable fares. Public housing is reasonably huge and well-designed, and most buy to own rather than rent, in contrast to those countries mentioned.

The article mentioned: "Transportation costs in Singapore are 2.7 times higher than in New York." What rubbish! This is not true at all.

Incidentally, I don't see expensive cities like Tokyo and Sydney in the top 10?
Car and big house, my dear, is common western standard of quality living, like it or not, common ordinary folks even poorer malaysian use that as standard. Stop using your singaporean standard and singaporean excuse to make you feel better.
And the local blaming singaporean making the cost up, in future maybe like hongkie blaming PRC ppl like that.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is expensive for Malaysians earning RM and RM rate wages, double whammy. Johor is cheap when compared on international scale with foreign currency.

tosai, prata,chapati, apong balik, naan...expensive for Malaysians, I believe you. I really believe you :biggrin:

AHGS14

Alfrescian
Loyal
tosai, prata,chapati, apong balik, naan...expensive for Malaysians, I believe you. I really believe you :biggrin:

Muslim food in JB can be considered "dirt cheap" when compared with the price in Sg. In E&Y (a restaurant chain found everywhere in JB), Roti used to be 90sen, but increased to Rm1 months back; Teh tarik RM1.40, Chicken (fired, curry,.. etc) RM3.50. If I'm not greedy, 2 Roti+1 Teh Tarik cost me RM3.40, or slightly over S$1.10 for breakfast. For simple but good tasting Chinese fried noodle, I usually pay RM5.50 in JB, but S$3.8 in Sg Kopi Shop.

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal

already tell you not to loitering around Taman Sentosa area. see u eat prawn mee also know u eat liao. :p

btw, most of the makan places not cheap already in johor.

Last edited:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

In Singapore $2.50 probably cannot even buy a plate of wan ton mee, or very hard to find. Usually is $3.00. Or if can find a plate of noodles also very small plate. This translates to RM7.50. I had Yit Foh wan ton noodles yesterday. Big bowl was RM6.50 if I remember. 2 balls of noodles jiak until full full. *burp* I bought 6 bowls of noodles + 2 large bowls of wan ton soup + 2 drinks for RM50.80 which translates to about S$17.00! To me this is considered very much savings for a meal compared to having the same in Singapore.

Maybe Malaysians who find Johor expensive go Singapore to earn SG$ to spend in Johor. Whereas Singaporeans who find Singapore expensive go Johor to spend while earning SG$.

Last edited:

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many had forgotten that the economy, mainly the retail businesses in JB are actually supported by the Malaysians themselves.
Everyday, about 300,000 Malaysians cross over to SG to earn SG dollars, where do you think these people and their families would be shopping at?
Certainly not in Singapore.
And you have another few hundred thousand SPRs going back on weekends and holidays, where would you think they and their families go for shopping, food and entertainment?
JB of course!
But things in JB had become expensive, especially in real estate, daily consumables, food and drinks etc.
They have no choice but still shop in JB but unfortunately, spending the same amount of money but buying lesser stuff.
But they will still form the basic customer base for JB.

When price differences in JB and SG get narrower and narrower, there will be lesser and lesser Singaporeans coming over to shop and the introduction of tolls and VEP is just making it worse.
Then the big shopping malls, with many more opening very soon and due to dilution of a non growing customer base will get emptier and emptier.
A newly opened shopping mall like Komtar Shopping Centre in JB city centre on a regular evening is usually like this :

komtar.jpg

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Singapore $2.50 probably cannot even buy a plate of wan ton mee, or very hard to find. Usually is $3.00. Or if can find a plate of noodles also very small plate. This translates to RM7.50. I had Yit Foh wan ton noodles yesterday. Big bowl was RM6.50 if I remember. 2 balls of noodles jiak until full full. *burp* I bought 6 bowls of noodles + 2 large bowls of wan ton soup + 2 drinks for RM50.80 which translates to about S$17.00! To me this is considered very much savings for a meal compared to having the same in Singapore.

Maybe Malaysians who find Johor expensive go Singapore to earn SG$ to spend in Johor. Whereas Singaporeans who find Singapore expensive go Johor to spend while earning SG$.

That's why I did qualify the $2.50 noodles, not common but still can find, not everyone in Singapore is rich. Like I said, majority of Malaysians still earn RM and Johor is expensive for them.

rotikok

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ordinary ppl who earn sgd can only feel their money when they spend in malaysia.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Goodbye SG, hello Johor....

Yongnam buys Johor industrial land to move factory operations there

AUG 22, 20168:21 PM

A WHOLLY-OWNED subsidiary of Yongnam Holdings is buying three parcels of industrial land in Johor for RM46.7 million (S$15.6 million) in order to move its factory operations there.

In an exchange filing on Monday evening, the group said it has been experiencing higher fabrication labour costs at its Singapore factory over the years, and intends to move most of its factory operations to Malaysia.

"This move is expected to result in cost savings in fabrication labour cost for the group as well as other ancillary staff costs such as accommodation and transportation," it noted.

Another benefit from the move is the freeing up of more "man-year entitlement" from factory workers, allowing the firm to reserve them for site construction workers. "This will in turn reduce foreign-worker levies to be paid in Singapore," it added.

The three adjoining lots of freehold industrial lands in Ulu Choh, Pontian, stretch across 10.3 hectares, and is currently owned by Vee Sen Property Sdn Bhd. The purchase will be funded with internal resources and bank borrowings, according to Yongnam.

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/com...ustrial-land-to-move-factory-operations-there

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Goodbye SG, hello Johor....

Yongnam buys Johor industrial land to move factory operations there

AUG 22, 20168:21 PM

A WHOLLY-OWNED subsidiary of Yongnam Holdings is buying three parcels of industrial land in Johor for RM46.7 million (S$15.6 million) in order to move its factory operations there.

In an exchange filing on Monday evening, the group said it has been experiencing higher fabrication labour costs at its Singapore factory over the years, and intends to move most of its factory operations to Malaysia.

"This move is expected to result in cost savings in fabrication labour cost for the group as well as other ancillary staff costs such as accommodation and transportation," it noted.

Another benefit from the move is the freeing up of more "man-year entitlement" from factory workers, allowing the firm to reserve them for site construction workers. "This will in turn reduce foreign-worker levies to be paid in Singapore," it added.

The three adjoining lots of freehold industrial lands in Ulu Choh, Pontian, stretch across 10.3 hectares, and is currently owned by Vee Sen Property Sdn Bhd. The purchase will be funded with internal resources and bank borrowings, according to Yongnam.

http://www.businesstimes.com.sg/com...ustrial-land-to-move-factory-operations-there

Good! What took them so long to move? Theirs is low tech and highly labour intensive business. My family business was also labor intensive and Singapore Govt also told us to move out of Singapore in the 90s, so we diversified and went into property investments long ago, no more labor woes.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good! What took them so long to move? Theirs is low tech and highly labour intensive business. My family business was also labor intensive and Singapore Govt also told us to move out of Singapore in the 90s, so we diversified and went into property investments long ago, no more labor woes.

High tech, high value, high margin industries stay in Singapore
Low tech, low margin, low value industries go to Johor
Only after rejecting from Singapore, excesses only flow to Johor.
Saying goes "Beggars cannot choose".

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
High tech, high value, high margin industries stay in Singapore
Low tech, low margin, low value industries go to Johor
Only after rejecting from Singapore, excesses only flow to Johor.
Saying goes "Beggars cannot choose".

That was the strategy in the 90s, these days even high tech, high value industries moving out of Singapore. Anyway if you look from a CEO's POV, Malaysia is the second highest cost country in the ASEAN region, followed by Thailand, if Vietnam and Cambodia catch up, they will catch the next biggest wave of growth.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
That was the strategy in the 90s, these days even high tech, high value industries moving out of Singapore. Anyway if you look from a CEO's POV, Malaysia is the second highest cost country in the ASEAN region, followed by Thailand, if Vietnam and Cambodia catch up, they will catch the next biggest wave of growth.

Cost is not the only factor to do business.
So many other factors from Currency, Language, Political, Earthquakes, Floods, Manpower pool, etc.
I know for a fact Honda and Toyota decided to move many production platforms to Malaysia from Thailand due to floods or it is tough to try to set up factories in Cambodia due to ports & infra. availability. The population had been fighting for years so the mentality of its people will have to change. I myself had a nasty experience in Vietnam.
But yes, costs of doing business in Malaysia is getting high. And Bank Negara is keeping the RM low for as long as possible by lowering interests.

Last edited:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
And ordinary people who earn RM can only feel high costs when they spend in Johor.

I suppose that is why many are incentivised to put up with the inconveniences of working in SG so that they can bring back the paycheck to spend in JB. On the other hand, some peasants like me who work in SG and feel the high cost in SG may choose to spend in Johor.:smile:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cost is not the only factor to do business.
So many other factors from Currency, Language, Political, Earthquakes, Floods, Manpower pool, etc.
I know for a fact Honda and Toyota decided to move many production platforms to Malaysia from Thailand due to floods or it is tough to try to set up factories in Cambodia due to ports & infra. availability. The population had been fighting for years so the mentality of its people will have to change. I myself had a nasty experience in Vietnam.
But yes, costs of doing business in Malaysia is getting high. And Bank Negara is keeping the RM low for as long as possible by lowering interests.

I suppose higher costs in Malaysia may also be an indication that it is more affluent and progressing well?