• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Economic News

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
They will just make Jho Lo the scape goat then rest get off scot free

In this case, no way.
While Jho Lo and Riza Aziz were named, it was "Malaysian Official 1" that acted in cahoots with the 2 accused and allowed and approved all the transactions and this person will be named very soon!

I had all the while said that one day this 1MDB issue will cause upheaval to MY's economy, the RM and the politics.
It only starting now!

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
If Ajib resign, Everyone will be celebrating. Then the DPM become the PM...
And he is an Indonesian Javanese at heart, a Malaysian by name. His in laws are influential people with access to the present Indonesian President.
It would be fun to watch the geo politcal forces at play then.

Last edited:

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
If Ajib resign, Everyone will be celebrating. Then the DPM become the PM...
And he is an Indonesian Javanese at heart, a Malaysian by name. His in laws are influential people with access to the present Indonesian President.
It would be fun to watch the geo politcal forces at play then.

Need to watch out the development in the next couple of weeks.
Desperate situation needs desperate actions and extremely desperate people may do extremely desperate things to save themselves.
Many things can happen but one most feared scenario is what if -

No real actions taken by the authorities.
People takes to the street to protest.
The authorities declare state of emergency and apply the freshly passed NSC Act (they didn't rush to pass this Act for nothing) whereby the PM will be given absolute power and country become police state, police can start arresting people and search premises without warrant......

Many people suspected that coup in Turkey was staged in order to give the President that absolute power to arrest and sack his political opponents.
Lets hope the Turkey thingy will not happen here.

sgcount

Alfrescian
Loyal
Guys, please don't be too imaginative! It may seem exciting to paint a doomsday picture of Malaysia, but come on, it's not that bad.

Najib knows his way around. :smile: Whoever gets caught, will get caught. Hopefully some of the recovered money will be returned to Malaysia. And things will return to their normal state. All this news is just noise.

Malaysia has always been what it is, good or bad, like any other country. It has survived for decades, and will continue to do so.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Guys, please don't be too imaginative! It may seem exciting to paint a doomsday picture of Malaysia, but come on, it's not that bad.

Najib knows his way around. :smile: Whoever gets caught, will get caught. Hopefully some of the recovered money will be returned to Malaysia. And things will return to their normal state. All this news is just noise.

Malaysia has always been what it is, good or bad, like any other country. It has survived for decades, and will continue to do so.

Admire your optimism, you are free to conclude any which way you want but just don't stick your head in the sand.
In this case, the robbers were identified, names mentioned and the loots seized ...........but someone was found to assist the robbery by unlocking the gates and opening the doors for them to enter.
But the funny case here is, a robbery case is found committed and the loots uncovered but the supposed victim said he didn't lost any money!

enjoylife77

Alfrescian
Loyal
Admire your optimism, you are free to conclude any which way you want but just don't stick your head in the sand.
In this case, the robbers were identified, names mentioned and the loots seized ...........but someone was found to assist the robbery by unlocking the gates and opening the doors for them to enter.
But the funny case here is, a robbery case is found committed and the loots uncovered but the supposed victim said he didn't lost any money!

TIM=This Is Malaysia.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
In property investment, we need to know all these and how to spread out our risks.

Last edited:

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Uncertain times ahead indeed. The global economy is not doing well and this 1MDB saga will definitely put a ? to Malaysia's short term future.

A case my 2 Malaysian Chinese colleagues put across to me some time back -- We Malaysians want to get out of the country for greener pastures. But you Singaporeans from a clean (in every sense of the word!) 1st world country want to move over to Johor?!

I have nothing against Malaysia (as a tourist). What the officials have been doing all these years and how they treat their own people (and foreigners) are very clear. But some Singaporeans are so convinced by the end-of-the-world story for Singapore in the next 10-15 years that they rushed to buy properties in Malaysia, not factoring in the risks and false stories they had heard. I think it's over-exaggerated to some extent.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Uncertain times ahead indeed. The global economy is not doing well and this 1MDB saga will definitely put a ? to Malaysia's short term future.A case my 2 Malaysian Chinese colleagues put across to me some time back -- We Malaysians want to get out of the country for greener pastures. But you Singaporeans from a clean (in every sense of the word!) 1st world country want to move over to Johor?!I have nothing against Malaysia (as a tourist). What the officials have been doing all these years and how they treat their own people (and foreigners) are very clear. But some Singaporeans are so convinced by the end-of-the-world story for Singapore in the next 10-15 years that they rushed to buy properties in Malaysia, not factoring in the risks and false stories they had heard. I think it's over-exaggerated to some extent.
Even Robert Kuok's Wilmar is reporting losses, what more bad news do we need?Wilmar issued a profit warning to the Singapore Exchange on Tuesday that it expected to report net losses of about US$230mil for Q2 2016 as a result of challenging operating conditions. It said that the prospects were flagged in the company’s results announcement for the first quarter ended March 31, 2016.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
A case my 2 Malaysian Chinese colleagues put across to me some time back -- We Malaysians want to get out of the country for greener pastures. But you Singaporeans from a clean (in every sense of the word!) 1st world country want to move over to Johor?!

Perhaps for would-be SG retirees, the prospect of renting out their HDB for S$2-2.5k, while staying in a double storey house in Johor, is too great to resist?

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Perhaps for would-be SG retirees, the prospect of renting out their HDB for S$2-2.5k, while staying in a double storey house in Johor, is too great to resist?

For this group, maybe it's workable and attractive. But only for selected few even if many others qualify.

I did ask around casually. Many elderly/retirees are staying put in Singapore because they want to be close to their families (eg taking care of grandchildren), easy access to medical care, familiarity with surroundings, safety (this perception inevitably will crop up), easy travel by public transport, convenience of buying food and general shopping.

It seems that there are more social and lifestyle factors at play rather than just wanting to move over because of bigger and cheaper homes. In fact, not many are thrilled at living in a huge house. The maintenance and cleaning is one issue. Another is their habits and preferences do not require them to live in a place so big.

Anyway, coming back to the topic of risks....It's those Singaporeans who rushed in to buy Malaysian properties that are finding ways now to deal with them. I've already heard and read online that some have resigned to the fact that they are keeping a "white elephant", others are pushing their agents hard to help them sell but even agents themselves are not showing any interest, a small handful have begun to put up auction or fire sales, and some are trying short-term rental but still with negative returns every month.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Uncertain times ahead indeed. The global economy is not doing well and this 1MDB saga will definitely put a ? to Malaysia's short term future.

I have nothing against Malaysia (as a tourist). What the officials have been doing all these years and how they treat their own people (and foreigners) are very clear. But some Singaporeans are so convinced by the end-of-the-world story for Singapore in the next 10-15 years that they rushed to buy properties in Malaysia, not factoring in the risks and false stories they had heard. I think it's over-exaggerated to some extent.

A more fairer picture needs to be painted. Some Singaporeans, myself included, are not getting out of Singapore in the same sense as Malaysians who want to get out of Malaysia (give up MY citizenship and apply for SPR). For us, it is not because we disagree with the fact that Singapore is a clean and green country, where politics and economics and finance in most (if not every) aspects are better than our next door neighbour. We have nothing against Singapore, except for the many peeves and complaints that most Singaporeans are fond of talking about. LOL! But with the way things are going, it is not unreasonable to think that years down the road the basic necessities of a HDB house over our head will be so expensive and we will slog our lives to keep up. The well to do are relatively untouched. The rest of us will have to "do cow do horse" to get by. Is there anything wrong with making plans for the future? I don't think so. I believe many Singaporeans are choosing to make JB their home while working in Singapore in order to stretch the dollar. Investors by and large won't be thinking of moving over anyway, but are content to stay put in SG. And speaking from experience there really is significant cost savings living in JB. Those who choose to make JB their home know there are trade offs to be made, which we just have to accept as part and parcel of life.