• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dual Citizenship / NS Obligations / HDB Flats and Migration

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Contact CMPB by email immediately. Still need to register. Tell them that you are not aware of the procedures as you assumed that having got the new country's citizenship you were waiting for 21 to renounce. They will fine you, something that they started doing after the piano man's case. Pay the fine, don't argue, worth the price.

They will then grant deferment until 21. If procedures are not followed, he will be classified as defaulter (if not classified as one by now) and cannot enter Singapore without being arrested. The citizenship also cannot be renounced until obligation are fulfilled. If they grant deferment, he can immediately travel in and out of Singapore without any problems.

The above based on he leaving before age 11.

Let us know outcome, without personal details as usual.

Hi Scrool,

My boy is a Singaporean by birth. He left Singapore before age of 11. He was granted citizenship in our adopted country. He will renounce his Singapore citizenship at 21.

He did not renew his Singapore passport when expired, he did not apply NRIC. He did not visit Singapore after leaving.

But, he also did not apply for exit permit at age of 13. Did not register for NS at age of 16.5. He will turn 18 soon.

If he visit Singapore after renouncing his Singapore citizenship, what can I do for him to avoid being arrest in Singapore for not serving NS? Is it too late to contact CMPB?

Thank you and good day.

Last edited:

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi [scroobal],
I believe that for officers, the liability for reservist ends at age 50.

Sorry for the late reply. Haven't been watching this folder for sometime. No issue at the moment as he is far too young to be liable for NS. You can go back to UK and no bond is required to be paid. What you should do is notify CMPB befor he reaches the age of 13 that he is overseas so that they will notify you to apply for exit visa. Again no bond if the move is permanent / migration for good. Make it known to them if not they will ask for bond. Bear in mind the clerks at the their outsourced contact centre are not familiR with these things. Do all your comms via email.

When he is 16.5 years, he needs to register for NS. As your family has migrated, you are required to apply for deferment until 21 years. Again they will notify you. Your son then has to make a choice. If he gives up his Singapore citizenship at age 21, no need to do NS. If he wants to retain, he must return to do his NS.

Throughout these years, he can travel in and out of Singapore with no problems. When he renouces his Singaporean citizenship, there are no further liabilities and he can travel in and out also freely.

When your husband migrates, his reservist duties will stop, he will be given an exit permit and placed on holding list until the liability ends usually 40 years for non officers and 55 for officers. If he renounces his citizenship for good, then all liability will end.

The trick is to provide CMPB your contact details so if there any changes, they can notify and request to apply the right procedures.

The main thing that you have to note is remember this "enjoy the privilege of citizenship" condition. So make sure that your son does not return after 13 years of age for schooling, renew or take up new passport, take up the national identity card or return for residency purposes. Use the UK passport. I know of one case where the son and daughter in a similar situation and they returned and did 2 years in the Australian school here as dad was working here. The son immediately is deemed to have enjoyed the privilege of citizenship and had to complete NS. He is now a Defaulter and cannot travel freely into Singapore. He also cannot renounce his citizenship.

Hope this helps.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks Charlie, you are right.

ps. you have been very quiet. Might need your help again down the road to revive this folder with couple of others who made the world their oyster.

Hi [scroobal],
I believe that for officers, the liability for reservist ends at age 50.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Brother [scroobal],

I have not been as busy as previous years with my practice, but also did not post on a regular basis.
I will be in Singapore next week, and if you wish to meet for a cup of coffee / tea or lunch,
I will be honoured.

Regards,
Charlie

Thanks Charlie, you are right.

ps. you have been very quiet. Might need your help again down the road to revive this folder with couple of others who made the world their oyster.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Hi Brother [scroobal],

I have not been as busy as previous years with my practice, but also did not post on a regular basis.
I will be in Singapore next week, and if you wish to meet for a cup of coffee / tea or lunch,
I will be honoured.

Regards,
Charlie

That's a good one. :biggrin: Your naiveté is almost refreshing.

Half of Singapore is after the person behind this nick. If you can flush him out, you have my utmost admiration.

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Several years ago, [scroobal] and I discussed about the possibility of meeting for a drink or a meal, when I visit Singapore, or when comes to my home city.
But if circumstances have changed significantly, then cest la vie.

Half of Singapore is after the person behind this nick. If you can flush him out, you have my utmost admiration.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
But if circumstances have changed significantly, then cest la vie.

In my opinion, it is never a good idea to organise face-to-face meetings with monikers that you have interacted with on-line regardless of the circumstances. However, to each his own.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
In my opinion, it is never a good idea to organise face-to-face meetings with monikers that you have interacted with on-line regardless of the circumstances. However, to each his own.

Hmm I think it depends which moniker you are referring to.

I have met with a few monikers. I won't say they were a bad idea at all.

Has leongsam ever met with any moniker?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Has leongsam ever met with any moniker?

Nope I would never do that. When I first got on the net in 1995, I did attend a few get togethers without disclosing my previous internet moniker. After witnessing the problems that arose when people mixed the internet with real life, I decided that it was NOT a good idea at all.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

don't think scroo wants to meet him anyway. he's too busy doing yardwork at the istana.

slepland

I believe Scroobal is wanted by the PAP. He could dress up like a tall lady when meeting up ! Haha..

Dear scroobal sir, pls don't meet anyone from this site. We, our future generations need your good advice for many more years to come. I second leongsam based on experiences too.

Emerald

As long as the father is Singaporean and your son was born in Singapore or has Singapore citizenship, your son is obligated to serve your NS. He is unable to denounce until he fulfills his NS obligation. Singapore does not recognize dual citizens so you have to denounce one of them. It is win win situation for the government. If your son wants the freedom to travel to Singapore, there is no escape but to serve NS. If he is a defaulter, should he step foot in Singapore, it will be 3 years lock up and 2 years in the NS. He will not be banned but arrested! Now unless your son some day became rich and famous, he might be able to visit you once (to attend a funeral) but he will not be allowed to enter Singapore again. That is a ban! Call it what ever you want, this is our government. The other option is to consider family migration as long as your son left with you as early as possible and did not benefit anything from Singapore. The best situation is to have your son born overseas and apply for PR after 21. Don't be a smart ass to apply for his citizen. Your son might have citizenship of US, Australia, Japan,etc. The local Embassy will not want to intervene or interfere. The foreign government consider this an issue between you and MINDEF. Be aware! Look at the bright side, NS is 2 years, more comfortable, less "siong", etc.! Good luck

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is exactly the erroneous information that led to the existence and popularity of this folder. We have been doing this for 13 years. We have successfully guided people thru the weeds of ignorance and myth. In the early years,this folder was brimming with activity as information was not as freely available as it is now.

Sadly we have sons of ex-Singaporean and existing Singaporean families who have been marooned in far away places never able to step into Singapore because some old wag at a Singapore/Malaysia potluck session passed on these erroneous and false information.

If your son qualifies. all they need to do is follow the procedures an you would be fine.

As long as the father is Singaporean and your son was born in Singapore or has Singapore citizenship, your son is obligated to serve your NS. He is unable to denounce until he fulfills his NS obligation. Singapore does not recognize dual citizens so you have to denounce one of them. It is win win situation for the government. If your son wants the freedom to travel to Singapore, there is no escape but to serve NS. If he is a defaulter, should he step foot in Singapore, it will be 3 years lock up and 2 years in the NS. He will not be banned but arrested! Now unless your son some day became rich and famous, he might be able to visit you once (to attend a funeral) but he will not be allowed to enter Singapore again. That is a ban! Call it what ever you want, this is our government. The other option is to consider family migration as long as your son left with you as early as possible and did not benefit anything from Singapore. The best situation is to have your son born overseas and apply for PR after 21. Don't be a smart ass to apply for his citizen. Your son might have citizenship of US, Australia, Japan,etc. The local Embassy will not want to intervene or interfere. The foreign government consider this an issue between you and MINDEF. Be aware! Look at the bright side, NS is 2 years, more comfortable, less "siong", etc.! Good luck

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
fellas, you can change your name legally to something like John Smith and then you reapply for a new foreign passport. why would you want to enter singapore again under your own name?

xenomorph

Alfrescian
Loyal
fellas, you can change your name legally to something like John Smith and then you reapply for a new foreign passport. why would you want to enter singapore again under your own name?

and the place of birth on the passport is listed as gleneagles. lol

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, you are are veteran of this forum and you have never been the sharpest tool in this shed. Quite staggering when you were in this forum long before you migrated and one would have thought that you might know a thing or two having migrated. Bench presses builds muscles but does nothing for the mind.

So what you are going to do when the Singapore's disembarkation form ask you if you have traveled under a previous name? Make a false declaration?

Xenomorph is right. What are you going to put as your place of birth - Gleneagles or your Toa Payoh home? What about your date of birth?

As the db professional you should know the importance of primary key. So what do you think is the primary key? So they are going to match your new name - John Fishbuff against their db. What about doing a deed poll to change your DOB and place of birth?