• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dual Citizenship / NS Obligations / HDB Flats and Migration

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't understand so much fuss the gahmen creates over NS for Singaporean males....if they are so short of people to fill up the conscript army, then enlist ALL Singaporeans MALE & FEMALE.

In this age of gender equality, what is there that a woman cannot do in the SAF that a only a man can do ?

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't understand so much fuss the gahmen creates over NS for Singaporean males....if they are so short of people to fill up the conscript army, then enlist ALL Singaporeans MALE & FEMALE.

In this age of gender equality, what is there that a woman cannot do in the SAF that a only a man can do ?
Since many women have signed on, I agree that men and women should serve NS.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Agree 100%. If woman want equality, then they should serve NS or shut the hell up

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Extract from the MINDEF letter
1. You have been registered for National Service.
2. An electronic Exit Permit XYZ 1234 valid from 11 June 2018 to 10 Oct 2022 for residing on Canada, pending renunciation of Singapore citizenship has been issued.
4. You will have to do your National Service then if there is no change in your citizenship status.
Have u yourself renounce?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
The letter from MINDEF indicated that he an renounce at age 21 The same letter which provided the Exit Permit No.
I left Singapore in 1981, and my son was born in 2001.
When I left Singapore, I had a one year work visa and bought a one way ticket.
At that time, I knew nothing about Canada, and was not sure whether Singapore was good or bad.
That is bullshit lah. U can always wait to apply citizenship for your sons. U can do that when they are 5 years or even 10 years of age. As long as u retain your singapore citizenship, they can also qualify for one. In fact u can wait until 2010 if u are not sure. By then, S'pore was already on the way to the dogs. Siao on like u went and register them as sinkie citizens right away? That was a brain dead move.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Technically, the gahmen will not allow you to renounce unless all "matters outstanding" are resolved.

So if you have an outstanding AWOL warrant against you as charged under the Enlistment Act, and if convicted, you face up to both three years' imprisonment and a fine of S$10,000.

So unless you face the punishment and then complete your NS, you will not get a clear way to renounce your Singapore citizenship.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Technically, the gahmen will not allow you to renounce unless all "matters outstanding" are resolved.

So if you have an outstanding AWOL warrant against you as charged under the Enlistment Act, and if convicted, you face up to both three years' imprisonment and a fine of S$10,000.

So unless you face the punishment and then complete your NS, you will not get a clear way to renounce your Singapore citizenship.
That is my understanding too. But apparently, Charlie99 thinks differently. The minute u are issued exit permit means, u had to be registered for NS in order to get the exit permit. If u don't report for your NS, u are in violation under the enlistment act. Not so easy to renounce. Singapore renunciation is not unilateral. In other countries, if u inform the country u don't want to be their citizen anymore, then so be it. In singapore its a 2 way. u must renounce, followed by the singapore govt accepting your renunciation. Which they will not do if u have not fulfilled your NS obligations.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
It is not only me, another family also received a similar letter as our older son.
Deferment of NS approved and Exit Permit issued to the day when the person is age 21,
reason, residing overseas pending renunciation of Singapore citizenship.
U can receive all the letters u want. Until you get the letter stating that your son is no longer a citizen, then u come and tell me.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is my understanding too. But apparently, Charlie99 thinks differently. The minute u are issued exit permit means, u had to be registered for NS in order to get the exit permit. If u don't report for your NS, u are in violation under the enlistment act. Not so easy to renounce. Singapore renunciation is not unilateral. In other countries, if u inform the country u don't want to be their citizen anymore, then so be it. In singapore its a 2 way. u must renounce, followed by the singapore govt accepting your renunciation. Which they will not do if u have not fulfilled your NS obligations.

Singapore is once again unique in these circumstances.

Renunciation of the Singapore citizenship entails easy way out for NS and your CPF withdrawals. The gahmen is cleverer than you when comes to these matters.

My point again...why only target male Singaporeans on this NS "privilege" issue ? If they are really lack of conscripts to defend the country, please include the womenfolk.

What is the job that only males can do in NS that women cannot do ?

AWARE always talk about gender equality selectively...but dare not address this matter.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Renunciation of the Singapore citizenship entails easy way out for NS and your CPF withdrawals. The gahmen is cleverer than you when comes to these matters.

My point again...why only target male Singaporeans on this NS "privilege" issue ? If they are really lack of conscripts to defend the country, please include the womenfolk.

AWARE always talk about gender equality selectively...but dare not address this matter.
as i have mentioned before, in times of a pandamic or other national disasters, sinkie women who have served (medic or 1st aid) ns can easily step in and up to fill the void which is usually filled by foreign nurses and medical staff in the sg context. only 6.9 months of training, and sg can’t even implement this necessary and simple policy. what actually happened? continue to rely on foreign nurses at clinics and hospitals, and create this bunch of societal comedians called social or safe distancing “ambassadors”.

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

Yup. If Israel can do it, why can't singapore conscript its females too. Every time i meet a gong cheebye who try to talk to me about total defence, I tell them what total defence shit are u talking about when half the population is not involved.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yup. If Israel can do it, why can't singapore conscript its females too. Every time i meet a gong cheebye who try to talk to me about total defence, I tell them what total defence shit are u talking about when half the population is not involved.

as i have mentioned before, in times of a pandamic or other national disasters, sinkie women who have served (medic or 1st aid) ns can easily step in and up to fill the void which is usually filled by foreign nurses and medical staff in the sg context. only 6.9 months of training, and sg can’t even implement this necessary and simple policy. what actually happened? continue to rely on foreign nurses at clinics and hospitals, and create this bunch of societal comedians called social or safe distancing “ambassadors”.

Another question...do we really need NS still ? Going back to 1967 as to why we needed NS is justifiable.

But now do we still really need a conscript army?

Let's take Australia for example. The Australian Defence Force only has 58,000 full time active professional soldiers and some 30,000 active reservists whereas Singapore has 72,000 Regulars (including full-time NSmen).

If Singapore is so afraid that Indonesia may invade Singapore....what can the paper generals & conscripts do ?

It is also ridiculous when we have to train our NSmen in countries like Taiwan, Brunei, Australia & New Zealand when the priority of the SAF is to defend. What use is there to train the soldiers in a completely alien topography ?