• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dual Citizenship / NS Obligations / HDB Flats and Migration

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
All passports now have validity of 5 years. The age is no longer used as control factor for passports.

If you seek early renewal of your expiring passport, you will get 5 years plus months remaining capped at max 9 mths ie 5 years and 9 mths.

Hi Scroobal,
I am just wondering what will happen in the following scenarios:
a) if one applies for a new passport before 11 yr old, will he be given a 5 yr (standard) or just until 13?
b) if one applies for a new passport before 13 yr old, what then? same as (a)?

P.S. we are allowed to apply for a new passport even before the passport expires so it allows us to plan ahead

TIA

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If QANTAS changes its planes every 10 years while SIA does it every 5, then I worry for QANTAS passengers.

Does it matter if Qantas planes are more than 10 years old?

I will be more worried if pilots are not properly trained. At least, SIA pilots are trained in Australia.

If the passport is not handled properly, it will not last 5 years.

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
If QANTAS changes its planes every 10 years while SIA does it every 5, then I worry for QANTAS passengers.

I'd be more concerned about the maintenance schedule than the age of the planes. :rolleyes:

The pappies are simply squeezing more money out of their citizens.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
All things remaining constant, a younger fleet is always better..

Older ones can pass to Silkair.

Does it matter if Qantas planes are more than 10 years old?

I will be more worried if pilots are not properly trained. At least, SIA pilots are trained in Australia.

If the passport is not handled properly, it will not last 5 years.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
People have worked out that 11 is the cut-out age for migrant males to avoid NS liability. All males who are below 11 have the expiry of passport on their date of birth at age 11. Now that alert has been removed.

The official press release states that it is due to biometric. CMPB till today will not reveal the official cut-off age.

The reason is due to the conversion to biometric passports. More out of shelf life of the electronics chip in it.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The official press release states that it is due to biometric. CMPB till today will not reveal the official cut-off age.

So, how do people know if they have broken the law?

I will say it really depends on whether the boy has benefited from the assiciation with the tightwad state.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The age is the first operating criteria, the other is the privileges enjoyed as citizen after that individual crosses the cut-off age. As singaporean minors cannot renounce their citizenship until the age of 21, those in the know will not apply to renew passports, get NRIC, send their kids back to attend school etc.

The authorities are not prepared to disclose as they do not want those who can afford it to circumvent the rules. Unfortunately it has led to many cases where the kids can never return to Singapore.

This thread is to help those who are not familiar.

NS policies is classified that even ICA was never given the reason why in the past, the expiry on passport was on the 11th birthday. I know one superhero parent from Perth who had a good friend in ICA and who helped him renew the passport and the kid is now eligible for NS. Another chap has an ex- schoolmate of an ex-perm sec and both his kids are now listed as absconders. The father is retired but travels to Singapore every 2 months but the kids can't.

The ones who talk the most are the ones whose kids have landed in a mess. I know a Poly lecturer who has masters from a govt scholarship whose son who he sent with his wife to OZ are also listed and he received the notification as to his status. I actually advised this chap but he did not bother to follow the procedures.

The kids are puzzled as other kids who also migrated can travel to singapore without an issue.

Here is another example of a clown who wrote to Expat Forum to ask for advice. They are asked him to go to ICA. He did. His son has now a singapore passport and an Australian passports and the Australian passport that has an ICA endorsement allowing him entry to Singapore without 3 mths limitation. He wanted to follow the rules like a typical compliant and conditioned singaporean and now his son is eligible for NS. His wife is furious because this clown boasted about the endorsement while the wife found out later that her friend's son is not eligible for NS.

ps. I use the term eligible rather than liable for NS as these are mistakes done by parents.

So, how do people know if they have broken the law?

I will say it really depends on whether the boy has benefited from the assiciation with the tightwad state.

brokuan0

Hi scroobal sir,
is there a change of cut off age to 13? Seems it is still 11 in your replies. Can it be the kid has to ensure his passport expire before 11 or 13 so as not to be liable for ns?

John Henry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi scroobal sir,
is there a change of cut off age to 13? Seems it is still 11 in your replies. Can it be the kid has to ensure his passport expire before 11 or 13 so as not to be liable for ns?

In my son's case, he will be 14 when his current passport expires. So does that mean he is eligible for NS?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have one chap who was advised by CMPB that it will be 13. Its a guess but it does indicate that as NRIC is now issued at 15 and not at 12. One cannot be sure. Just make sure that he applies for exit permit once he reaches 13. The real test is when they reach 16.5 and you will be required to apply for deferment until 21 when you are offered the opportunity to renounce. What ever it is don't renew the passport.

Hi scroobal sir,

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
It best to apply of for exit permit as he is past 13. Tell them that he is migrating and OZ is his new home. They will ask for copy of PR and passport.

In my son's case, he will be 14 when his current passport expires. So does that mean he is eligible for NS?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yes, no matter what, do not renew the child's passport. if the passport expires before he is 13, let it go. if the passport expires beyond his 13th birthday, sg authorities have grounds in claiming that the kid has "enjoyed the blah blah blah of sg".

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
yes, no matter what, do not renew the child's passport. if the passport expires before he is 13, let it go. if the passport expires beyond his 13th birthday, sg authorities have grounds in claiming that the kid has "enjoyed the blah blah blah of sg".

2.5 years of one's life just for a document. absolutely not worth it.
i met 2 families recently and both had lived in sg for 10+ years, a hker and a pinoy, both left when their son turn 12-13 and they want to avoid the NS liability. talk about fair weathered migrants.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I have to agree on how those precious 2.5 (now 2) years can be and how that time in one's career can set a person up for life.

But somehow for me, NS for my kids is still an open option, to be determined by how well they are advancing in their lives.

NS might be that bitter medicine/tough love to slap them back into reality.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree. Give them the option and let them decide when they reach 21.

The sad part about this govt is the bitterness they create by not providing the appropriate information. Too many kids born in singapore but can' go back to visit or take an assignment.

I have to agree on how those precious 2.5 (now 2) years can be and how that time in one's career can set a person up for life.

But somehow for me, NS for my kids is still an open option, to be determined by how well they are advancing in their lives.

NS might be that bitter medicine/tough love to slap them back into reality.

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree. Give them the option and let them decide when they reach 21.

The sad part about this govt is the bitterness they create by not providing the appropriate information. Too many kids born in singapore but can' go back to visit or take an assignment.

Bitterness is caused by pettiness...

southwest

Alfrescian
Loyal
Apart from visiting relatives, I can't see a reason why one would want to visit Singapore. If cannot return for visit, have the relatives travel out of Singapore then. Chinese food? Plenty of chinese food overseas and good variety of chinese cuisine too. Hawker food, plenty overseas too but over $5. If really want to eat cheap hawker food, visit Penang better. The hawker food is delicious. So it is not a big loss not being able to return to Singapore.