• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dr Tony Tan sworn in as Singapore's 7th President

votepapout

Alfrescian
Loyal
By S Ramesh | Posted: 01 September 2011 1956 hrs
phpRJKPSZ.jpg
Photos 1 of 1<input disabled="disabled" id="btnPrev" value="<< Previous" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_previous.gif" height="15" type="image" width="18"><input id="bntPlay" value="Play - Stop" src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_stop.gif" height="15" type="image" width="19"><input disabled="disabled" id="btnNext" value=" Next >> " src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_next.gif" height="15" type="image" width="18">

<tbody>
</tbody>
dotline_240.gif

President Tony Tan (C) takes his oath in the presence of Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong (L) and Chief Justice Chan Sek Keong (R). - TODAY photo
Video
shim.gif
phpRJKPSZ.jpg

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>
shim.gif

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody> </tbody>

SINGAPORE: Dr Tony Tan Keng Yam has been sworn in as the seventh President of Singapore, less than a week after winning the presidential polls.

The 71-year-old former deputy prime minister took his oath in the presence of Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong and Chief Justice Chan Sek Keong.

A guard of honour mounted by the Singapore Armed Forces and the Singapore Police Force welcomed the country's new President, before he took his Oath of Office.

"I, Tony Tan Keng Yam, having been elected as the president of Singapore, do solemnly swear that I will faithfully discharge my duties," he said.

The swearing-in ceremony at the Istana on Thursday was witnessed by Cabinet ministers, members of the judiciary, parliamentarians and senior civil servants. Also present was Dr Tan's wife, Mrs Mary Tan.

Dr Tan, whose term of office is for six years, was elected after a four-cornered contest in the Presidential Election held on 27 August.

He garnered 35.2 percent of the ballot including the overseas votes.

Dr Tan succeeds Mr S R Nathan who has served as President for the last 12 years, the longest presidency in Singapore's history.

Just before Dr Tan was sworn in, there was a farewell reception for Mr Nathan.

Mr Nathan received his final presidential salute before he took his leave at about 7.40pm, marking an end to his presidency.

The swearing-in ceremony saw both President Tan and Prime Minister Lee emphasise the importance of unity for the nation in their speeches.

In particular, Prime Minister Lee stressed that while a strong economy will always be a priority, Singapore must also build a united society which leaves no Singaporean behind and a well-functioning political system that delivers good government.

Prime Minister Lee noted that the recently concluded general election and presidential polls were fiercely contested.

In the Presidential Election, some candidates had championed various policies while campaigning, even though policymaking is the responsibility of the government and not the President and the debate was intense, at times even divisive.

But now that both elections are over, Singaporeans must come together again and move forward as one people and one nation, said Mr Lee.

"Singapore faces considerable challenges. To surmount them, we must remain cohesive and united, supporting one another, and making tough choices together. Then we can continue to progress and prosper, and create more opportunities and a better life for ourselves," he said.

"The government will work hard to reach out to all groups, to draw us all closer together. As our President, you have an important contribution to make in promoting national unity."

Mr Lee also spoke about the President's custodial functions and said there will be occasions when the government will seek the President's approval to draw on past reserves.

Responding, President Tan said: "I will wield this 'second key' with utmost care. Our reserves have been painstakingly built up over decades, and should not be compromised.

"Our government must continue to live within its means, and only draw on past reserves in an exceptional crisis - like the one we faced in 2008. I therefore welcome the Prime Minister's assurance that the government will continue to be responsible with our finances. I will play my role to safeguard our reserves, so that they can continue to give us confidence in tough times."

President Tan added he can be both a resource and a symbol. So he will offer the Prime Minister his confidential advice on government policies and engage all Singaporeans to understand their interests and concerns.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
A sad day for the majority of Singaporeans who did not vote for him.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed jack is king. In a straight contest, the one who crosses 50% wins. In a multi-cornered contest, the one with the highest wins, not necessarily crossing 50%. Such is the rule of the game. If you talk about the 65%, they're divided over three other candidates, not united behind any single one.

That said, I do agree with the merit of having a top-two run-off that'll leave one candidate with a clear majority. I hope both the PAP and the Opposition look into his when the next Parliament sits.

refulgence

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed jack is king. In a straight contest, the one who crosses 50% wins. In a multi-cornered contest, the one with the highest wins, not necessarily crossing 50%. Such is the rule of the game. If you talk about the 65%, they're divided over three other candidates, not united behind any single one.

That said, I do agree with the merit of having a top-two run-off that'll leave one candidate with a clear majority. I hope both the PAP and the Opposition look into his when the next Parliament sits.

Without a top-two run-off, all we know is that 65% of the electorate do not think TT is the best candidate for the job. He may be "elected" under existing rules, but his lack of a clear mandate from the majority is manifest.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Without a top-two run-off, all we know is that 65% of the electorate do not think TT is the best candidate for the job. He may be "elected" under existing rules, but his lack of a clear mandate from the majority is manifest.

That's why I'm supportive of a constitutional change to a run-off when required to provide a clear unifying mandate. Those who didn't vote for TT or TCB should understand that they're the top two among their fellow citizens and be given another chance to vote between the two. The physical act of voting is the emotional tie that binds and if your preferred candidate loses, accepting that the other has more than 50% is fairer on the mind.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I seriously doubt there will be any change to the status quo anytime soon as far as the election process is concern. We seldom ever have more then a straight up contest between 2 candidates in both GE and PE. Unless this starts becoming a trend, where the GE/PE candidates consistently win by the minority vote, it is unlikely anyone would be able to make too much of a case out of this.

IMO I do not think a 2 way contest between TT and TCB will guarantee a TCB win either. I'm pretty sure besides the neutral votes, TCB would have attracted a lot of moderate PAP votes. With TJS and TKL out of the equation, those moderate PAP supporters may jump back over to TT side resulting in another GE 60/40 result

Last edited:

MightyMouse

Alfrescian
Loyal
IMO I do not think a 2 way contest between TT and TCB will guarantee a TCB win either. I'm pretty sure besides the neutral votes, TCB would have attracted a lot of moderate PAP votes. With TJS and TKL out of the equation, those moderate PAP supporters may jump back over to TT side resulting in another GE 60/40 result

You are not making any sense. Why would the moderate PAP supporters jump to TCB first due to 4-corner fight, then jump back to TT once it reverts back to a 2-corner fight?

You suggesting the votes for TCB are sympathy votes so that he won't lose his deposit?

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lianbeng wonders what the other 3 drop-outs feeling when watching the swearing-in?:confused:
disappointed? frustrated? heartbroken? cursing-n-swearing? crying?:*:

Varuna

Alfrescian
Loyal
I was looking at the pic. The one standing on the left with dark suit looked upset. This is historic - 35% mandate President sworn in ceremony.