• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

DOW dropping like a ROCK after proposal of new Bank reforms by OBAMA

SQguy

Alfrescian
Loyal
As of 12.30PM the DOW fell to 215 points after OBAMA talked about Banking reformas after public outrage over banking bonus after getting bailed out and NOT giving loans to SME and Public......interesting times ahead!

bart12

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is long overdue. I hope Glass-Steagall Act (GSA) is implemented asap so that all these US banks stop treating stock markets as a gambling dens using taxpayer money!

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is long overdue. I hope Glass-Steagall Act (GSA) is implemented asap so that all these US banks stop treating stock markets as a gambling dens using taxpayer money!

Those guys really have thick skins. They're were back to their old ways of business as usual with the bonuses thingy.

We of course have our own problems with Mdm Ho's gambling habits & the PAP's bonus culture :mad:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it's only a small correction after the super bounce from last year, no?

These hiccups don't help the market recovery when people are already so jumpy.

Don't think its a double dip at least hope not because my US shares were/are doing ok :smile:

Einfield

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't confuse market recovery from market bubble.
Obama did the right thing.
It boils down to accountability.
Something we don't practice here in Sinkiland

These hiccups don't help the market recovery when people are already so jumpy.

Don't think its a double dip at least hope not because my US shares were/are doing ok :smile:

GoFlyKiteNow

Alfrescian
Loyal

The Dow will bounce back.
These banks are long overdue for controls.
They have been blackmailing the government against regulation
by using the threat of " Too big to Fail " and continuing to get
bigger and bigger, swallowing up smaller banks and holding
the banking industry hostage.

Now, with these new regulations, these banks will have less
means to take control of the industry or use the Too big to Fail threat.

S

Sun Wukong

Markets hit by Obama plan

Money
Home > Breaking News > Money > Story
Jan 23, 2010

Markets hit by Obama plan
<!-- by line --> <!-- end by line -->
<!--background story, collapse if none--> A DANGEROUS MOVE

'Trying to regulate anything by pure size is a very dangerous thing to do.'
Mr David Viniar, chief financial officer of Goldman Sachs

FINANCIAL markets in the United States and Asia reeled after US President Barack Obama unveiled bold proposals that some said were tantamount to a war on Wall Street. Mr Obama's plan would limit the size of banks in relation to their peers and force some to close down lucrative proprietary trading and private equity activities. The jury, though, was still out on whether it would really prevent another financial crisis. Mr Obama made his proposals on Thursday, saying he was ready to fight resistance from Wall Street banks he blamed for helping to cause the recent meltdown. 'Never again will American taxpayers be held hostage by a bank that is too big to fail,' Mr Obama said, accusing banks of deploying an army of lobbyists to block reforms. 'If these folks want a fight, it is a fight I am ready to have.'

As an indication of how banks might be hit, the curbs on proprietary trading will cost Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, Credit Suisse, UBS and Deutsche Bank about US$13 billion (S$18 billion) in revenue next year, according to JPMorgan Chase analysts. Mr Obama's proposals, considered the most far-reaching since the post-Depression Glass-Steagall Act of 1933 that split commercial banks from investment banks, sent shares in financial companies tumbling and pushed the Dow Jones Industrial Average down 213 points on Thursday - the worst one-day fall in more than two months.

Read the full story in Saturday's edition of The Straits Times.

REUTERS, BLOOMBERG NEWS, NEW YORK TIMES