• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Do Cold Storage, NTUC FairPrice buy products through ONE main importer ?

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Look at your first post. No such thing as single importer. Pooled central buying only applies to small stores and nothing to do with supermarket chains or Emporiums. The same applies all over the world.

Give me the name of one emporium or a supermarket chain that outsources its procurement anywhere in the world. I am sure there are none. Unless your emporium and supermarket refers to mom and pop store. Your first posts asked about NTUC and Cold Storage by name. Their size will tell you that they are obviously not small stores and therefore have their own buying department.

Now you claim, you knew it all the while. Make up your mind what are you looking for.

I didn't say I knew it all the while. I said I had been doing what you said about calling up buyers of the emporiums all this while. The small supermarket chains adopt the model that Forvendet mentioned - renting out of shelves. The big ones have varying practices. All of them have procurement department, but with some of them the procurement departments only do liaising with the master wholesaler/importer. It's not my personal opinion, it's a fact that I have come across. And the reason I started this thread is to find out the 'facts' with Cold Storage and FairPrice.

You may think that that I'm referring to small stores, and not emporiums or supermarkets by your definition. That is fine. The fact is they are as big as FairPrice and Cold Storage chains in Singapore.

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
combo of multi distribution channels. ntuc fairprice just don't rent out shelves. and the rentable shelves are not for retailers but wholesalers. ntuc fp themselves are also a wholesaler and the retailer as they run a giant warehouse and a hundred stores. they have an ffdc to refrigerate and store groceries, fresh food and frozen food. they are the first supermarket retailer in sg to run their own storage, warehousing and distribution system. of course, they can't carry all kinds of food, beverage, knick knacks, and doodads. they rely on a network of wholesalers to provide the less significant goodies, what we call the long tail of merchandizing... gobs of stuff that last longer and don't need refrigeration and strict health inspection and security. occasionally, they rent out space to retailers. why would ntuc fp which is so concerned about pricing and cost not cut the retailers off and go straight to wholesalers? they also have a merchandizing department that shops the world for the best buy. for many food items, they have multiple wholesalers and distributors competing for shelf premiums in their stores, and if the food or beverage item is popular, they brand their own too by partnering with a supplier. their own brand is usually cheaper than the wholesale competition, and the best eye-level shelf spaces are reserved for ntuc branded products. win win for them, and their customers get all the choices while they increase their revenue in all levels of the distribution chain.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The moment you made the first post I knew you don't even understand the basics or know the definition of importers or both. You are now confusing shelf space with the role of procurement and wholesaling. They are not related. Mind you, asked about NTUC/Cold StorageLet me draw an analogy. You asked if the wheels of a car can be square. There is a fundamental reason why wheels are round. It has nothing to do with your going around the world and sharing your experiences. No reasonably sized supermarket, emporium, or retailer hands over his procurement to a single importer. Entities use bulk buying vehicles when they are small and they have a stake in the bulk buying vehicle or it's franchisee.Like a said, show me one example anywhere in the world where a reasonably sized store uses one importer. As you have experienced this, I am sure you should be able to do it unless you even understand how it works. No matter how I try I certainly can't find square wheels for conventional car.
I didn't say I knew it all the while. I said I had been doing what you said about calling up buyers of the emporiums all this while. The small supermarket chains adopt the model that Forvendet mentioned - renting out of shelves. The big ones have varying practices. All of them have procurement department, but with some of them the procurement departments only do liaising with the master wholesaler/importer. It's not my personal opinion, it's a fact that I have come across. And the reason I started this thread is to find out the 'facts' with Cold Storage and FairPrice.You may think that that I'm referring to small stores, and not emporiums or supermarkets by your definition. That is fine. The fact is they are as big as FairPrice and Cold Storage chains in Singapore.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
iPad sucks when it comes to paragraphs. Do you know how to fix it.
combo of multi distribution channels. ntuc fairprice just don't rent out shelves. and the rentable shelves are not for retailers but wholesalers. ntuc fp themselves are also a wholesaler and the retailer as they run a giant warehouse and a hundred stores. they have an ffdc to refrigerate and store groceries, fresh food and frozen food. they are the first supermarket retailer in sg to run their own storage, warehousing and distribution system. of course, they can't carry all kinds of food, beverage, knick knacks, and doodads. they rely on a network of wholesalers to provide the less significant goodies, what we call the long tail of merchandizing... gobs of stuff that last longer and don't need refrigeration and strict health inspection and security. occasionally, they rent out space to retailers. why would ntuc fp which is so concerned about pricing and cost not cut the retailers off and go straight to wholesalers? they also have a merchandizing department that shops the world for the best buy. for many food items, they have multiple wholesalers and distributors competing for shelf premiums in their stores, and if the food or beverage item is popular, they brand their own too by partnering with a supplier. their own brand is usually cheaper than the wholesale competition, and the best eye-level shelf spaces are reserved for ntuc branded products. win win for them, and their customers get all the choices while they increase their revenue in all levels of the distribution chain.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
The moment you made the first post I knew you don't even understand the basics or know the definition of importers or both. You are now confusing shelf space with the role of procurement and wholesaling. They are not related. Mind you, asked about NTUC/Cold StorageLet me draw an analogy. You asked if the wheels of a car can be square. There is a fundamental reason why wheels are round. It has nothing to do with your going around the world and sharing your experiences. No reasonably sized supermarket, emporium, or retailer hands over his procurement to a single importer. Entities use bulk buying vehicles when they are small and they have a stake in the bulk buying vehicle or it's franchisee.Like a said, show me one example anywhere in the world where a reasonably sized store uses one importer. As you have experienced this, I am sure you should be able to do it unless you even understand how it works. No matter how I try I certainly can't find square wheels for conventional car.

Ok, enough of it, Scroobal. You have had your share of peppering advice with insults. You're doing your best to end this thread.

This thread is not about proving Scroobal is always right or at times ignorant. Someone brought up shelf space, another brought up procurement. If anything, you were the one trying to digress and confuse everyone. Remember your first post that NTUC has 12 importers ?

I just want to know how CS and NTUC works in terms of sourcing for goods. The point is not about proving whether there is one single importer or wholesaler. I have related my encounter, which is factual. If I don't believe the buyer from the procurement department who says that they have a master wholesaler or importer to deal with all the goods on the shelf, should I believe the opinion of an anonymous person called Scroobal ?

The fact that your ego is big doesn't mean that you're always right. You just cannot accept that sometime you're not really that knowledgeable. And at times when you're caught with your pants down, please face the truth that your balls are not that big and rounded.

You asked me to name you one emporium or supermarkets that outsources its procurement department to one wholesaler or importer. If I name you a few, are you going to call them up and verify ? It's the same buyer from the procurement department who redirected me to the wholesaler. So must I show all my documents to you ? I'm not interested in proving that Scroobal is ignorant. It's a waste of bandwidth. I just want to know how CS and NTUC works, and if it meets that purpose I'm satisfied.

What is wrong with you that you have a chip on your shoulder ? Why must you stalk me everywhere I go ? And always pretend to give advice, but waiting to pounce on gray areas and release your insults at the first opportunity. All because I don't carry your balls ??

Do you know why there are so many guests in the forum who don't post ? You make people apprehensive when asking questions in the forum, for fear that they will be insulted and being called stupid, twit, blur, ignorant ? If you're serious about promoting discussions, attend to the issue in a civil manner and not pepper insults and sarcasms just to show the world that you know something that people don't know.

Scroobal, if you have the quality you're not afraid to be humble. You don't have to look far, the TS in the 'Living in JB thread'' is someone you should look up to.

Last edited:

fukyuman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let me give you another example, if you are a small time freight forwarder and go to an stuck up airline like Singapore Airlines to get airwaybills direct, you would probably be told they have their own major forwarders to deal with. Answer is the same, less complications, less debts to chase, less court orders or winding up petition on debt defaults. Enough of the analogy. Do you know also that big retailers like Guardian insist on a sum of $10,000 for every sku# created. Lets say you have this skin cream, 5gm and 10gm size. It means you have to pay Guardian $20,000 to do business with them. But how much shelves space a 5gm tubes of cream take if the cream is for a less common medical condition? Which is why medicines in Singapore is crazy expensive compared to shopping at JB.

Ok, enough of it, Scroobal. You have had your share of peppering advice with insults. You're doing your best to end this thread.

This thread is not about proving Scroobal is always right or at times ignorant. Someone brought up shelf space, another brought up procurement. If anything, you were the one trying to digress and confuse everyone. Remember your first post that NTUC has 12 importers ?

I just want to know how CS and NTUC works in terms of sourcing for goods. The point is not about proving whether there is one single importer or wholesaler. I have related my encounter, which is factual. If I don't believe the buyer from the procurement department who says that they have a master wholesaler or importer to deal with all the goods on the shelf, should I believe the opinion of an anonymous person called Scroobal ?

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Eatshitndie explanation is the most concisely precise so far, except for the want of proper paragraphing.

No matter how I try I certainly can't find square wheels for conventional car.

This reminds of my niece asking many years ago when she started to want to learn bicycling, "Uncle, how come two wheels only? Two wheels how to balance?"

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
since point of sale is run by ntuc, they are actually the only retailer in their stores. they pay a cut of the proceeds to wholesalers and distributors in their suppy chain to cover cost and mark up for overhead and margins. doubt there is space or shelf rental collected as distributors are alloted shelf space based on demand and pull and what the distributor had negotiated with ntuc. most distributors have exclusive distribition rights to certain foreign brands and exclusive agreements with foreign suppliers. otherwise, ntuc will swoop in and cut the distributor off and buy direct.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there is no monthly 'rent' per se, but there may be slotting fees, listing fees, and pay to stay fees imposed on the distributor at time of contract review or renewal. sorry for little titty bits now and then in separate posts, but this is 1 stupid way to break it up into paragraphs.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The fact that your ego is big doesn't mean that you're always right. You just cannot accept that sometime you're not really that knowledgeable. And at times when you're caught with your pants down, please face the truth that your balls are not that big and rounded.

You asked me to name you one emporium or supermarkets that outsources its procurement department to one wholesaler or importer. If I name you a few, are you going to call them up and verify ? It's the same buyer from the procurement department who redirected me to the wholesaler. So must I show all my documents to you ? I'm not interested in proving that Scroobal is ignorant. It's a waste of bandwidth. I just want to know how CS and NTUC works, and if it meets that purpose I'm satisfied.

What is wrong with you that you have a chip on your shoulder ? Why must you stalk me everywhere I go ? And always pretend to give advice, but waiting to pounce on gray areas and release your insults at the first opportunity. All because I don't carry your balls ??

Do you know why there are so many guests in the forum who don't post ? You make people apprehensive when asking questions in the forum, for fear that they will be insulted and being called stupid, twit, blur, ignorant ? If you're serious about promoting discussions, attend to the issue in a civil manner and not pepper insults and sarcasms just to show the world that you know something that people don't know.

Scroobal, if you have the quality you're not afraid to be humble. You don't have to look far, the TS in the 'Living in JB thread'' is someone you should look up to.

Good grief, this is the harshest rant against Scroobal that I've read in years. But to be fair, Scroobal, you do sound cynical against Khun first. It's just a question, a valid thread-starting topic for discussion. Scroobal, you're sounding like asking that question somehow bears something sinister behind it.

since point of sale is run by ntuc, they are actually the only retailer in their stores. they pay a cut of the proceeds to wholesalers and distributors in their suppy chain to cover cost and mark up for overhead and margins. doubt there is space or shelf rental collected as distributors are alloted shelf space based on demand and pull and what the distributor had negotiated with ntuc. most distributors have exclusive distribition rights to certain foreign brands and exclusive agreements with foreign suppliers. otherwise, ntuc will swoop in and cut the distributor off and buy direct.

Suppliers don't directly pay rentals to supermarkets. They contest over shelf space available at supermarkets. There're no shelf rental departments in supermarkets. The suppliers deal with the procurement departments. But it's just a matter of name, just like calling it a personnel department or human resource department. It's still a department carrying out the same functions. At the bottomline, fighting for shelf space is still what the business is all about first and foremost.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You another one. The way he writes, he knows that.
Suppliers don't directly pay rentals to supermarkets. They contest over shelf space available at supermarkets. There're no shelf rental departments in supermarkets. The suppliers deal with the procurement departments. But it's just a matter of name, just like calling it a personnel department or human resource department. It's still a department carrying out the same functions. At the bottomline, fighting for shelf space is still what the business is all about first and foremost.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yup, premium shelf space for ang moh is 5'5". for chinese it is 5'. for indians, it is boob level. for malays, it is on the floor as they scour the ground for loose change. proctor and gamble and nestle normally negotiate neck level shelf space in the sundry aisles. frito lay and nabisco fight for best snack space. nong jim and nissin compete for dominance in instant noodle alley. and due to popular demand, calbee snacks squeezed others into end shelves, bottom feeders and corners as a jap standout. ntuc not to be sidelined flood all boob space and cleavages with private label imitations.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think it's not called private label. It's called house brand. Bay Area and all over US supermarkets have lots of that too. :wink:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think it's not called private label. It's called house brand. Bay Area and al over US supermarkets have lots of that too. :wink:

technically they are called store brands. house brand or private label also ok. for costco which is a co-op like ntuc, it's kirkland, based on the city of original operations. for safeway, which is not a co-op, it's safeway. for whole foods, it's 365 everyday value. for sbf, it should be 369 everyday fight.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
House brands was first introduced by Fitzpatricks in a big way but failed miserably. I wonder if anyone recall seeing house brands in the western supermarkets before. Its not big in OZ/NZ bug big in UK, US not sure of Canada.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
House brands was first introduced by Fitzpatricks in a big way but failed miserably. I wonder if anyone recall seeing house brands in the western supermarkets before. Its not big in OZ/NZ bug big in UK, US not sure of Canada.

its huge in u.s. big stores. there's a list of house brands in wikipedia under store brands for all western english speaking countries from oz to u.s.