• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Delhi Games village 'unfit for athletes'

THE_CHANSTER

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The Commonwealth Games Federation head has demanded the Indian government take immediate steps to improve conditions at the athletes' village in Delhi.

Team delegates described the accommodation as filthy, unhygienic and unfit for human habitation.

But organisers of the event, which runs from 3 to 14 October, said they would provide an "excellent facility".

Meanwhile, at least 19 people were injured as a footbridge collapsed near the main Games venue.

Continue reading the main story
Analysis

Sanjoy Majumder
BBC News, Delhi
This is the latest embarrassment for organisers of Delhi's Commonwealth Games.

The Games village - made up of several blocks of high-rise luxury flats for the athletes who are due to begin arriving on Friday - was meant to be the event's showpiece.

The chief of the organising committee, Suresh Kalmadi, had said it would be better than the village at the Beijing Olympics.

Now his words are coming back to haunt him. Advance teams have described the state of the flats as shocking.

The village itself has been built on the banks of the Yamuna river. Just outside it are pools of green, stagnant water left over from flooding after Delhi's worst monsoon in three decades.

It's a breeding ground for mosquitoes and has raised fears of disease - there have been nearly 100 cases of dengue fever over the past month.

The organisers now certainly have their work cut out.

The steel walkway was being built to link the car park with the Jawaharlal Nehru stadium.

It is the latest setback to an event which has been plagued by construction delays, allegations of corruption and mismanagement, and a dengue fever outbreak in the Indian capital.

New Zealand, Scotland, Canada and Northern Ireland have demanded their teams be put up in hotels if their accommodation is not ready.

Team Scotland said in a statement that on arrival in Delhi last week their officials found "its allocated accommodation blocks were far from finished and in their view, unsafe and unfit for human habitation".

Commonwealth Games England called on Tuesday for "urgent" work on the facilities, raising concerns about "plumbing, electrical and other operational details".

Michael Fennell, the Commonwealth Games Federation president, said he had written to the Indian cabinet secretary urging immediate action.

He said "many issues remain unresolved" and the athletes' village was "seriously compromised".

Although advance parties from participating nations had been impressed with the international zone and main dining area, he continued, they had been "shocked" by the state of the accommodation itself.

"The village is the cornerstone of any Games and the athletes deserve the best possible environment to prepare for their competition," Mr Fennell added.

The collapse of a footbridge near the main venue is the latest setback
Two days before the village officially opens to the first of 7,000 athletes and officials, New Zealand chef de mission Dave Currie warned that organisers would struggle to finish everything in time.

There was even a possibility the Games could be cancelled, he added.

He said toilets in the accommodation were leaking and did not flush, and there were piles of building debris in bathrooms.

He told New Zealand commercial radio on Tuesday: "If the village is not ready and athletes can't come, obviously the implications of that are that it's not going to happen.

"It's pretty grim really and certainly disappointing when you consider the amount of time they had to prepare."

Start Quote

I can assure everyone there is no cause for worry”

Randhir Singh
Organising committee
Delhiites lose patience
In Melbourne, Australia's chef de mission, retired marathon runner Steve Moneghetti, said the hosts "have got two days to do what's probably going to take about two weeks".

But organising committee vice-chairman Randhir Singh told reporters in Delhi that everything would be ready on time.

"I can assure everyone there is no cause for worry," the news agency AFP quoted him as saying. "Delegates have praised the village as one of the best.

"We are working round the clock to take care of any problems. When the athletes arrive here, they will find an excellent facility."

There have also been safety concerns surrounding the Games, heightened on the weekend after gunmen on a motorcycle shot and wounded two tourists near Delhi's Jama Masjid, one of India's biggest mosques.

gone4good

Alfrescian
Loyal
A major international event and they can screw up. Indians promised you the sky when trying to persuade you or sell you an idea. However when it come to concrete actions, they have no substance to back them up.

Now we know what kind of Indian FT we have been importing. Over my dead body will i believed that an Indian FT can replace a Singaporean. It is more likely the other way round. These Indians are seriously good for nothing with all talks but no actions

R

redlightmeansgo

I was in Dehli about this time last year, and passed by the site that was marked for the village.

At that time, it was still dilapidated, piece of trashland, and I was wondering to myself, how on earth were the Indians going to make it for the Games.

True enough, actions speak louder than words

sam heng

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's what they said about South Africa's world cupa few month before it starts. As it turned out quite not too bad. The Ang moh paper also cannot be trusted

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's what they said about South Africa's world cupa few month before it starts. As it turned out quite not too bad. The Ang moh paper also cannot be trusted

i think this time, they really pushing the deadline, right to the 11 hours.

R

redlightmeansgo

i think this time, they really pushing the deadline, right to the 11 hours.

Knowing the way the Indians work, one to carry the brick, 10 others to follow to see if the one has dropped the thing in his hand

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
But organising committee vice-chairman Randhir Singh told reporters in Delhi that everything would be ready on time.

"I can assure everyone there is no cause for worry," the news agency AFP quoted him as saying. "Delegates have praised the village as one of the best.

You really have to give it to them, how they can shamelessly tell a fucking lie and not feel paiseh about it.

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal
You guys should already know that ah nehs will never admit their mistakes.

Ah neh land has been a shit hole all the while so there's no reputation to talk about.

It really does not matter whether the C Games will ever commence or whether some countries will withdraw as those involved have alredy got a piece of the cake.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
ah neh said their not fit for habitation better than beijing olympic, LOL

Sanjoy Majumder

BBC News, Delhi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Games village - made up of several blocks of high-rise luxury flats for the athletes who are due to begin arriving on Friday - was meant to be the event's showpiece.

The chief of the organising committee, Suresh Kalmadi, had said it would be better than the village at the Beijing Olympics.

Now his words are coming back to haunt him. Advance teams have described the state of the flats as shocking.

The village itself has been built on the banks of the Yamuna river. Just outside it are pools of green, stagnant water left over from flooding after Delhi's worst monsoon in three decades.

It's a breeding ground for mosquitoes and has raised fears of disease - there have been nearly 100 cases of dengue fever over the past month.

The organisers now certainly have their work cut out

R

redlightmeansgo

You guys should already know that ah nehs will never admit their mistakes.

Ah neh land has been a shit hole all the while so there's no reputation to talk about.

It really does not matter whether the C Games will ever commence or whether some countries will withdraw as those involved have alredy got a piece of the cake.

Spot on bro! If you've done business there, you know how the dust blows

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is not just letting the concrete dry! There is the testing of systems! There is the finishing, the decorations, the trees, the plants etc etc.

A footbridge collapsed leh. Who would dare to be in the stadium? This Games is doomed. I am pretty sure the athletes who are supposed to go are shitting in their pants and hoping that the Games gets cancelled or postponed.

However, no one dares to offend India otherwise how to do business there in future. I hope no one get injured seriously.