• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Delete Your Whatsapp, LINE is a better Apps(with free calls)

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Line has 300 million users, WhatsApp has a problem

By Hamish McKenzie
On November 25, 2013

Messaging app Line, which got its start in Japan, has now passed 300 million users, about 100 million of which signed up in the last four months, according to a statement released by the company today.

On its own, this in’t that big a deal: yet another press release trumpeting a user milestone. Except it’s emblematic of a bigger change.

That’s because Line’s recent growth mirrors fast growth among other messaging apps. South Korea’s KakaoTalk counts 110 million users. China’s WeChat claims 600 million. Kik, which is based in Waterloo, Canada, has reported more than 90 million registered users. (Note: These measurements are of registered accounts, which is very different to active users.) Meanwhile, going by the numbers, WhatsApp still looks secure. It recently passed 350 million active users.

But Line’s growth shows that WhatsApp is vulnerable. That’s because this new generation of messaging apps really aren’t just about messaging. They are mobile platforms.

Line has been making inroads not only in Japan, but also in Taiwan, Thailand, and Indonesia, and is fast picking up users in Europe and Latin America. A big push into the US, where its numbers have declined of late, is next on the agenda, Line has told The Next Web.

These messaging apps have adopted different strategies to WhatsApp when it comes to attracting and holding onto users. For Line, messaging is a front door to an experience that then opens up to include games, photosharing, stickers, and a de facto app store, which drives downloads of its other apps, including Camera and Tools. Kik is really just a mobile Web browser that hosts its own HTML5 apps, which third-party developers can now build. KakaoTalk has its own virtual eBay. And in China, people use WeChat to pay for physical goods.

The messaging part, which is ostensibly these apps’ reason for existence, is actually an easily replicated commodity. It also happens to be all that WhatsApp has got.

The company has resolutely stuck to its singular vision of being an over-the-top messaging provider that works across platforms and devices. Even adding voice messaging, which Line, WeChat, and others have had for many months, was a big deal for the minimalist app. It makes money only by charging users 99 cents a year.

That’s not an impressive trick anymore. On my iPhone, I have a folder that contains six messaging apps. I use WhatsApp to chat with friends in the UK and Hong Kong, Kik to chat with friends in Canada and the US, WeChat to chat with friends in China, Line to chat with a friend in Thailand, Couple to chat with my girlfriend while I’m traveling, and Snapchat for sending compromising photographs to millennials. I also use iMessage a lot. (To communicate with friends in New Zealand, I still rely on carrier pigeon.)

With all these apps, I respond to a message when it is brought to my attention via a push notification. At that point, it doesn’t really matter where the message is coming from. I just tap on the notification and get taken to the relevant text-input field. On the other hand, when it comes time to write a message, I go to whichever app is used by the friend I happen to be trying to contact. Not one of these apps has a monopoly on my friends (yet), although there are some obvious regional biases.

As a heavy user of a variety of messaging apps, I see no clear distinction between what WhatsApp offers and what any of the others offer at their most basic level. For the messaging piece of the puzzle, the only difference is in user interface – and on that front WhatsApp is nothing to text home about. In terms of UI, it is inferior to Couple and Kik, and it’s just as ugly as the rest of them.

It’s also significant that this year, after a long period of not really saying anything to the media, WhatsApp, and perhaps some “people close to the company,” have been aggressive with their PR efforts. In 2013, we have learned that it is not selling to Google (for $1 billion). And it is not selling to Facebook. There have been rumors that it is worth $2 billion. In a rare interview, CEO Jan Koum told AllThingsD’s Dive Into Mobile that WhatsApp is bigger than Twitter. Last month, Koum tweeted that WhatsApp users share more than 400 million photos every day.

Now, there could be a few reasons for WhatsApp being more active in its public relations. Perhaps it is looking to sell and wants to boost its valuation. Perhaps it’s looking to file for an IPO and therefore wants to tell a better story to the public. Perhaps it’s merely about ego: “Hey, we’re bigger than Twitter!” Perhaps, amid all the hype surrounding Snapchat and Twitter, it doesn’t want to get drowned out in the noise.

Or perhaps it sees a worrying trend with the rise of these other messaging apps and sees that by being a chat service without a platform it has backed itself into a corner.

One way or another, there’s little doubt that we’re going to hear even more from WhatsApp in the next 12 months. The question will be whether or not the headlines are always positive.

http://pando.com/2013/11/25/line-has-300-million-users-whatsapp-has-a-problem/

Other links

http://www.techinasia.com/5-reasons-why-the-fight-between-whatsapp-facebook-twitter-and-line-matters/

http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2013/07/10/line-app-vs-whatsapp-evaluated-for-2013-chat/

Download here: http://line.en.softonic.com/android

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I usually dun care for data calls preferring to use idd but was pleasantly surprised LINE calls quality is good.
Still messaging is Whasapp for me as LINE sometimes is slower.
Dun try for others as most of my contacts are on the above 2.

Jar Jar Binks

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I don't use smartphones. Own one because i don't want to be a dinosaur. Whenever i am back in sg i use 2G. The simpler the better.
:eek:

Last edited:

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Line is a bit buggy but when it works it's good.

Can someone tell me how they make money....please don't say sell your data....I know that....how exactly?

Do they analyse ur calls and figure out what you like? What?

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I usually dun care for data calls preferring to use idd but was pleasantly surprised LINE calls quality is good.
Still messaging is Whasapp for me as LINE sometimes is slower.
Dun try for others as most of my contacts are on the above 2.

Try Tango for data calls and data Video calls. Quality is also good.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Heard that many in Singapore use wechat to find chicken is this true or not?

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Line is a bit buggy but when it works it's good.

Can someone tell me how they make money....please don't say sell your data....I know that....how exactly?

Do they analyse ur calls and figure out what you like? What?

They sell their cute emotes etc.

screen568x568.jpeg

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Kakao.....when u send a emoticon, u can type words in and send as one. While others like wechat, Line couldnt.

No_Collar

Alfrescian
Loyal
whatsapp is more reliable as it has less bug compared to the rest but I hate it that other users can see if ure online, ur last log in time or that u have read their messages but yet to reply... I still uses whatapps when I chat with my local friends. kakao for my korean friends, Line for Taiwan n Thai friends and wechat if I want to find PRC chickens or horny local n pinoy girls.. hehehe.. :biggrin:

kapkia

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Whatsapp is for serious chatting..

Line is for girl girl boy boy chatting.. by sending those stupid stickers...

Wechat for hunting PRC chickens... ( ask Raiders the asshole )