• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Crime in jb

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,197229,00.html?

CRIME IN JB: I
Biker grabs woman's bag, drags her along road for 10m
By Crystal Chan

March 29, 2009

NP_IMAGES_CSROB-SHU.jpg

HURT: Mrs Chua Huey showing the abrasions and bruises on her wrists and knees. PICTURE: COURTESY OF MRS CHUA HUEY

A SINGAPORE woman was dragged for about 10m on the road when her handbag was snatched by a motorcycle-riding robber in Johor Baru.

In her shock and confusion, Mrs Chua Huey, 39, a secretary, held on to her handbag, which contained cash and her passport, and was dragged.

Her husband, Mr SK Chua, 40, a sales executive, chased the robber and shouted at him to stop, but to no avail.

By the time Mrs Chua released her handbag, she was bleeding from abrasions to her arms and legs.

Recounting her ordeal to The New Paper at the family's Bukit Timah terrace house, she said: 'It happened so suddenly that I didn't realise it was a snatch theft. I thought someone had just tugged at me by mistake, so I held on to my bag.

'It was only a few seconds later that I realised the motorcyclist wanted to steal my bag and that the bike was dragging me along the road.'

The family had gone to Teck Sing restaurant in Taman Sentosa in Johor Baru on 7Mar.

At 9pm, after dinner, the family went to The Store, a mall opposite the restaurant, to buy groceries.

Loading car

Mr Chua was putting three plastic bags of groceries into the boot of his multi-purpose vehicle (MPV) at 9.55pm when the incident happened.

Recalled Mrs Chua: 'The motorcycle was moving so fast that I didn't notice the licence plate number. The robber was also wearing a helmet so I couldn't see his face, except that he had a brown complexion.'

Her handbag contained her passport, ez-link card, handphone, $400, RM500 ($210) and four credit cards.

The couple's 7-year-old son was so upset at seeing his mother being dragged along the road that he began crying.

'He's seen such scenes on television, but I guess seeing it in real life frightened him,' said Mr Chua.

The Chuas made a police report at the Taman Pelangi police station, and there they met another Singaporean couple, who had also fallen victim to a snatch thief.

Mrs Chua said: 'The wife also had her bag taken, but she didn't suffer any injuries as the strap snapped when the thief rode off.'

The Chuas gave the couple a ride back to Singapore in their MPV.

Mr Chua thinks his wife was targeted because the robber saw their Singapore-registered MPV.

He said: 'The officer taking our statement said Singaporeans are the first choice for thieves, because we're likely to have more money.'

Mrs Chua immediately cancelled her SIM card and credit cards.

The Chuas were allowed to enter Singapore after they showed Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) officers the Malaysian police report stating that Mrs Chua's passport was stolen.

ICA officers also called an ambulance to take her to National University Hospital, where she received outpatient treatment.

The medical bill came to about $100 and she hopes to be reimbursed through her personal accident insurance.

She collected her new passport two Saturdays ago.

The ICA waived the replacement fee of $50 that applies to lost or damaged passports after its officers were shown the police report.

The Chuas are no longer keen to travel to Malaysia.

'We used to drive to Genting Highlands at least twice a year. Just last week, my friend asked if I wanted to go to Penang, but I declined,' Mr Chua said.

'We need time to forget this incident and we don't know if something will happen to us again the next time we go to Malaysia.'

A Johor police spokesman said that since the start of the year, crime in the state had dropped by 1,052 cases, or 17 per cent, from the 6,106 cases reported in the same period last year.

She said that to deter snatch thieves, the police would use emergency law to detain suspects up to 60 days without trial.

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,197230,00.html?

CRIME IN JB: II
Car window smashed, camera, cash stolen
By Crystal Chan

March 29, 2009

NP_IMAGES_CSROB-DUG.jpg

IT RUINED HIS TRIP: Mr Chong holding a photograph of his car with one of the rear windows smashed. TNP PICTURE: NG XI JIE

LAST Sunday, operations executive Sam Chong, his wife and their son, 6, drove to Johor Baru to visit Mr Chong's parents.

Along the way to the house, they stopped for breakfast at 8.30am at McDonald's, next to Carrefour Hypermarket, along the Tebrau Highway, which leads to the city centre.

They parked near the fast-food outlet and settled down to eat.

But when they returned to the car, they were shocked to see one of the back windows smashed and their valuables missing.

Mr Chong, 34, a Malaysian-born Singapore permanent resident, said: 'It (must have) happened so quickly. We were seated near the carpark, but we didn't hear anything being smashed.'

The thieves made off with Mr Chong's backpack, which contained a $600 camera and wallet, and his wife's handbag, which contained her handphone and wallet.

Their wallets contained $200 and RM800($330).

Said Mr Chong; 'I took out just enough money for our breakfast. We had taken extra money along as we intended to shop at Carrefour after breakfast.'

A sling bag containing snacks and water for Mr Chong's son was also stolen.

He said it was fortunate that their passports, in the glove compartment of the car, had not been taken.

Ironically, his wife, Madam Irene Tan, 33, had initially intended to leave the camera and her handphone at home.

Mr Chong said: 'My wife's handphone battery was going flat. But I said it was better to take it along so we could SMS each other.

'We usually don't take our camera, but since a relative had come from London, we thought of taking photos with her.'

The Chongs had been going to see the relative at Mr Chong's parents' home.

After the robbery, though, they made a police report and scrapped their plans for the family visit.

'I told my parents what had happened and said I didn't want to proceed with the visit as my first priority was to get the car window repaired,' Mr Chong said.

The couple also called friends in Singapore to help them cancel their credit and SIM cards.

Mr Chong then drove around the area, looking for a workshop, but many were closed for the weekend and those that were open did not have a suitable window, he said.

'One workshop taped a piece of plastic over the smashed window and we drove back at 11.30am,' he said.

'One worker told me not to leave my valuables unattended on the car seat as these would be targets for thieves, even if the vehicle is Malaysian-registered,' he added.

Once back in Singapore, Mr Chong sent his car for repairs. He had to pay $107 after the insurance coverage.

Some cards returned

On Tuesday night, two men went to his parents' house to return his Malaysian identity card and driver's licence.

Mr Chong said: 'My dad suspected the men of being the thieves, but they left quickly on their motorcycle before he could call the police.'

He said: 'In future, I think I'll put my bags in the car boot so it won't be so easy for others to steal them.'

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
More hungry people over in JB. Singapore will reach the level of JB soon !

Now so many crime in Singapore !

kchunjeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Things to do when going to JB :

Lay low, don't show off.
Wear dirty cloth, wear slipper, keep monstache,
Keep long hair, wear sunglass, make your self look like a gangster. put on taatoo.

And you will scare off the robber.

prince123456

Alfrescian
Loyal
lot of snatch theft .. there especially handbags and jewelery . all using motorbikes .. and full faced helmet... beware of motorbike gangs... when outing.. especially when out of their building.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Taman Sentosa at night.....The Store area is relatively safe during the day, but after dark, that is another story...driving a swanky MPV, is so obvious, that the 'crows' can spot it miles away...

mengzai

Alfrescian
Loyal
lin quite chio eh

the last time i went to JB was about 1 year ago after nasi lemak went MIA. however, i went to Sentosa last week as to get some medical supply for my mum. as i was walking, i feel someone running behinde me. i quickly turn around & try to hit the personal... luckily i did not do it as it was a school boy running across the road to aviod cars.... it play to be safe in JB...

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Things to do when going to JB :

Lay low, don't show off.
Wear dirty cloth, wear slipper, keep monstache,......

Thats what I do when traveling in 3rd countries like Indonesia. What will Sporeans do with their branded goods & rolex watches :confused:

newyorker88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thats what I do when traveling in 3rd countries like Indonesia. What will Sporeans do with their branded goods & rolex watches

Good move. However, sinkees have a definative way to be recongised easily from their dress code and language.

Main thing is not to FLASH YOUR WATCHES, GOLD or $$$ about. This is asking for trouble.

Even in shopping malls, there are people who are watching you as you make payments. They see your wallet got money, then after you pay and leave, they come to pick pocket you.

I kena before 2 x. Once in JB, the other in Indo. Learn to use a pocket with buttons to button up.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I kena before 2 x. Once in JB, the other in Indo. Learn to use a pocket with buttons to button up.

Not sure if you've heard this one...

A lao jiao traveller told me one of the best ways to defend against pickpocketing is to strap your wallet with rubber band

A cross-strapped rubber band can create grip around the pocket fabric ... and makes your wallet harder to "slip out"

I do that plus I always put my wallet and passport in the front trouser pockets when travelling

newyorker88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not sure if you've heard this one...

A lao jiao traveller told me one of the best ways to defend against pickpocketing is to strap your wallet with rubber band

A cross-strapped rubber band can create grip around the pocket fabric ... and makes your wallet harder to "slip out"

I do that plus I always put my wallet and passport in the front trouser pockets when travelling

When I kena pickpocket, I remembered that some one distract me with a prick on my back, I stop to fell my back with my hand. I believe that was the time they got me. Becos for some reason, I jus feel my back machiam got some hair or what. My GF was with me at tat time and she recalled 2 person were close to me.

Nevermind that. Lesson learned. So I prefer to have buttoned pants. It will make them much harder to pick. If they can, they must be DAMM GOOD.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nevermind that. Lesson learned. So I prefer to have buttoned pants. It will make them much harder to pick. If they can, they must be DAMM GOOD.

Yeah these guys are real pros. They've been doing this for a living since kids.

They usually operate in teams instead of going alone.

newyorker88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah these guys are real pros. They've been doing this for a living since kids.

They usually operate in teams instead of going alone.

Yes, I agree. Pickpockets work in pairs. One to pick, the other to create distraction or cover the other when doing the work.

Some of the best ways to defend ourselves
1) Put wallet infront. behind is the best way for them to pick.
2) Zipper/button on the side.
3) Chain wallet with a chain.
4) Woman should always put their bag infront, never on the right shoulder( cant remember the reason, but advised by a former pickpocket who was caught)
5) busy places/rush hours are the best place for them to pick. Easy for them to blend in and disappear.
6) During shopping, when you are viewing items, you got to be more careful.

Usually, they pass the picked wallets to the watcher and if caught, no one got anything on he/she got to prove.
End of the day, it is we ourselves that has to be careful.