• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Country May Have A “Liquidity Problem” If Everyone Were To Withdraw Their CPF

xingguy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Source: The Independent

Student asks the “what if” CPF question
June 24th, 2014 | by Tan Yong Heng Jack

When things get emotional, one good question to keep in mind is this: What if…

The on-going CPF debate needs that question to be asked and the answer can be illuminating.

A university student stood up at a forum on CPF, organised by the Singapore People’s Party on Saturday, to ask: what would happen if everyone were to withdraw their CPF savings upon turning 55?

Leong Sze Hian, panel member and statistician, said that the country would run into a “liquidity problem”.

“We have about $260 billion in the CPF today. If suddenly everyone above the age of 55 decides to withdraw, then you may have a liquidity problem, because you got to squeeze out a few hundred billion dollars overnight,” he said.

“It would be a disaster for a policy change that is a knee-jerk reaction, where everybody withdraws everything, all at one go,” he added.

Party chairman Lina Chiam agreed.

Leong proposed an alternative where the minimum sum is gradually reduced and where “different cohorts can withdraw at different times”.

Lina Chiam stated her party’s stand on the issue. She said CPF account holders should have the choice and flexibility to withdraw their savings or to opt in to the annuity scheme.

Assistant Secretary-General Loke Hoe Yeong responded by reaffirming the party’s stand that the CPF money belongs to its citizens.

He said: “This is…your money. It’s not mixed with tax from younger people, unlike pension schemes in other countries. So if you withdraw it, it’s still your money,”

He also commented that citizens should have the freedom to withdraw their funds for private investment, to pay for healthcare or to support their children’s education.

“Should we not have a right to decide how we use our retirement funds?” he asked the 40-strong crowd at the forum.

One man, who preferred to remain anonymous, said that it is “irresponsible” to assume that seniors would squander their CPF money on leisurely pursuits the moment they get their hands on their retirement funds. One example of the leisurely pursuits cited was Batam – a tourist destination in neighbouring Indonesia that has become more of a euphemism for indulgences in the pleasures of the flesh.

Leong said that anecdotal evidence of a few who have frivolously wiped out their savings in Batam does not justify the withholding of the CPF for all middle-aged Singaporean men.

He said: “How many people really go to Batam to spend all their money? You didn’t tell me.”

There was an incessant murmur on the ground – even as the panel addressed them – a lingering air of discontentment, although it was placated by Leong’s sense of humour from time to time.

The murmur died down when Secretary-General Chiam See Tong was invited to make his concluding remarks.

He said: “Credibility is important. I know there are many Singaporeans who don’t believe what the government says. So how are you going to trust the government with the CPF issue? Or any other issue?”

So what’s the solution? Throw out the government.

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well if 4% payout for their bond is fantastic they wud not need to resort to keep your cpf like boko haram keep school girls as hostage.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If they cannot promise to return the cpf to people at age 55.Then don't create a law for people to Contribute to cpf mandatory.

Fucking no integrity.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am getting a higher rate of return else where. I don't need the gov't forcing me to contribute to the CPF.

Why should I be forced to pay the PAP minions for sub standard returns:confused:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
No need to worry one! PAP govt very safe, very responsible and very steady one!

No need to think so much, just believe.

They have a vision for tomorrow, just believe, just believe.

Don't ask too many questions, no mischief, no mischief.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Liquidity problems are temporary in nature and can be resolved by short term borrowing. An entity can have assets of $50 billion and still have liquidity problems in the short term because there is insufficient cash in the bank to write the cheques.

The fact that the term "liquidity" was the only issue in question proves how strong Singapore's finances are.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am getting a higher rate of return else where. I don't need the gov't forcing me to contribute to the CPF.

Why should I be forced to pay the PAP minions for sub standard returns:confused:

Aiyoh so simple you also dunno? If the CPF board gives you generous returns, how will Ho Ching get the money to make 'strategic investments'? :rolleyes:

The Chinese really like to hoard money simply for the sake of hoarding money: 钱生钱 (money grows money). And you-know-who sees the locked up CPF money as their personal kitty fund.

When you look at the name 'Central Provident Fund'... the word 'provident' comes from the word 'provide'. Who is providing whom with the money? I'll let you think about it. :wink:

hockbeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Liquidity problems are temporary in nature and can be resolved by short term borrowing. An entity can have assets of $50 billion and still have liquidity problems in the short term because there is insufficient cash in the bank to write the cheques.

The fact that the term "liquidity" was the only issue in question proves how strong Singapore's finances are.

The whole world's financial system is based on faith and faith alone; including Spore.

There is no strong or weak; only faith or no faith or less faith.

I have no faith in the CPF system.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I have no faith in the CPF system.

You may have no faith but the majority of Singaporeans have complete faith in the PAP so your lack of faith is of no consequence.

I have complete faith in the CPF and I trust the PAP 100%.

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiyoh so simple you also dunno? If the CPF board gives you generous returns, how will Ho Ching get the money to make 'strategic investments'? :rolleyes:

The Chinese really like to hoard money simply for the sake of hoarding money: 钱生钱 (money grows money). And you-know-who sees the locked up CPF money as their personal kitty fund.

When you look at the name 'Central Provident Fund'... the word 'provident' comes from the word 'provide'. Who is providing whom with the money? I'll let you think about it. :wink:

tis like any business deals done with crooks, once they see the money they will
break all promises and change the rules to control or wrestle your share, very
most they promise to pay you bit by bit till dooms day arrive. In our time we
hve seen tis too often, Sinkies better learn to accept tat tis is their rule today,
u get some back but most of ur saving goes to em when ur 6ft
under ground.

hockbeng

Alfrescian
Loyal
You may have no faith but the majority of Singaporeans have complete faith in the PAP so your lack of faith is of no consequence.

I've always believed the majority have to be stupid in any ecosystem.

xingguy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

A lot of people also have alot of faith and 100% trust in Lehman Bros, a 150 year old American bank, before its collapse.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
A lot of people also have alot of faith and 100% trust in Lehman Bros, a 150 year old American bank, before its collapse.

Faith can move mountains but sometimes you are let down. It's part and parcel of life.

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal

How much do you have locked away, in your CPF?

xingguy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Faith can move mountains but sometimes you are let down. It's part and parcel of life.

Yes, faith can move mountains but cannot be blind.

We are in this state now because of the blind faith the 60% have in this government.